Ex-GOP says this is why Repubs are mindless zealots backing Trump

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/charlie-dent-gop-trump-impeachment_n_5de0c4a9e4b00149f72cd57d

They “are in a situation where they understand their base pressure, the base has not yet bolted from the president,” he explained.
“But there’s no question, having spoken to many of them privately, they’re absolutely disgusted and exhausted by the president’s behavior,” said Dent, who stepped down from Congress in 2018. “They resent being put in this position all the time.”

Many GOP lawmakers are currently “wrestling” with whether it was more important to win their next election or preserve their legacy for years to come, he claimed.

so apparently, the Repubs are choosing to sacrifice their legacy for shortsightedness of the next election.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Met Charlie a few times, nice enough guy, not that I agree with many of his friends positions. Also, duh?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
We've heard all this before from Jeff Flake and many others. We all kind of knew this anyway without anyone having to actually say it because it's intuitively obvious. And it's also getting tiresome that every ex-GOP congressman hates Trump but every current GOP says they love him. We all already know what's going on here.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Couldn't they have just put D'uh as the body of that article and been done with it?

Only if the article was intended for Trump voters to attempt to read.

Otherwise, you need actual words to communicate with the rest of the world....ya know, those at least semi-literate.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Trumpists consider only the Republican base to have political legitimacy, and that base need only be loyal to itself, with no moral obligations to those outside its coalition.

Reactions: Indus

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
GOP guy says what we all already know but conservatives still deny because they think they are fooling somebody.

Nov 17, 2019
Problem is, us rational, clear minded people don't have a viable candidate. We'll have to (again) pick another ... any other ... almost at random, rather than having someone to vote FOR.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Problem is, us rational, clear minded people don't have a viable candidate. We'll have to (again) pick another ... any other ... almost at random, rather than having someone to vote FOR.
Rational, clear minded people have been voting straight Democrat for decades because they know that on every single level Democratic policy is far superior to GOP policy. Rational, clear minded people vote for policy rather than personality.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Actual leaders have the responsibility to do what is right for their followers, not simply do what their followers think they want.

This is why the GOP has been leaderless for decades. They cater to morons, keep them planted squarely in moronville, because they know the morons will keep voting for them. Never mind that every decision the morons make, traps them in perpetual misery. ...I mean, if only their leaders cared about them and started legislating in their own best interest, rather than their fear-driven feels.

Last edited:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Dear America,

Enjoy your conservative paradise for the next 40 years. We will decide then if you deserve to be rescued or if you still need 40 more years of suffering to learn your lessons.

Sincerely,

Democrats

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
IMO, they can resign whenever they want. Nobody is forcing them to keep on resenting it. They're just painting the scene for when Trump is gone and they're all like "were so sorry, we had to do this for blah blah blah, please take is seriously again."

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's long felt like the Republicans cling to Trump because he's their last bid at relevance for a long while. They know the demographic shift is working against them, and that losing the presidency could mean losing it for a long time without a fundamental rethink of their policies. And let's face it, few political parties can switch ideologies while taking their followers with them.

Their problem (apart from immoral policies) is that they may lose regardless thanks to Trump. The 2020 election definitely isn't a lock for the Democrats, but Trump is going to motivate a countering Democrat vote that might well tip the balance. And if Trump loses, how do Republicans explain themselves going forward? They might as well resign themselves to planning for 2028 at that point.

Reactions: tweaker2

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Rational, clear minded people have been voting straight Democrat for decades because they know that on every single level Democratic policy is far superior to GOP policy. Rational, clear minded people vote for policy rather than personality.

We do have some problems though. In principle, Warren is an attractive option but she keeps fibbing when there's no need and that creates a problem of trust.

Fact check.

One might argue that it was a slip of the tongue but this is an election where people will be questioning everyone and everybody, or they should, and Warren needs to be explicit and correct to win trust.

Biden has no idea WTF is going on, although he's less bad than Trump by a mile.

The person I'd love to see at this time is Pete, and he's gay. Not a problem for me and a good deal other but he's demon-possessed because we all know Satan is gay, and gays are pedophiles. That's sarcasm from me but not so far off in the mindset of some. I'm not sure he can win because of that alone.

Anyone who thinks our choices are Trump-proof needs to check their hubris.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
We do have some problems though. In principle, Warren is an attractive option but she keeps fibbing when there's no need and that creates a problem of trust.

Fact check.

One might argue that it was a slip of the tongue but this is an election where people will be questioning everyone and everybody, or they should, and Warren needs to be explicit and correct to win trust.

The person I'd love to see at this time is Pete, and he's gay. Not a problem for me and a good deal other but he's demon-possessed because we all know Satan is gay, and gays are pedophiles. That's sarcasm from me but not so far off in the mindset of some. I'm not sure he can win because of that alone.

Minor disagreement, people will be questioning Democrats, any honest person already knows the Republicans will be slinging straight up lies and their core supporters won't even flinch.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Republicans are clinging to Trump because he's a bellicose personality who got lucky in the 2016 campaign against Hillary nothing less nothing more.

Feb 4, 2009
Bloomie's an idiot, but he may be the one idiot that can beat the imbecile.

In a way I agree. Doesn’t feel like the right tone for Bloomberg however I love the idea that he can say he’s had 10x the success of Donald. That will really piss the President off.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

Fact check.

I agree it is frustrating that Warren and others lie when there is no need to lie but let's compare to GOP OMG WHY DID YOU FEEL THE NEED TO TYPE THIS POST ARE YOU CRAZY?!