Evolve or The Evil Within or Dying Light

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Evolve with its day one DLC has put me off the game. At first I was like this is going to be an awesome game. Then I noticed all the DLC and the game has not even been released yet.

The evil within reminds me of dead island. Dead island was fun for maybe 20 - 30 minutes then it got old.

The evil within is on sale this weekend for $20.40.

Instead of getting Evolve and paying full price, should I get the evil within? But then again, the evil within has some bad reviews on metacritic.

I see buying evolve, but not preorder. Buying a game that has day one dlc makes me sick to my stomach.

Last edited:

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
I liked evil within and was bored by the evolve alpha. I've never been that keen on multiplayer only shooters though, so take my opinions about Evolve with a grain of salt. I did enjoy Titanfall though so it's not like it's impossible to rope me in on a multiplayer FPS. I can say that The Evil Within is nothing like Dead Island though. Except for the ammunition for one weapon in the game, there's no crafting to speak of in the Evil Within. It's very linear instead of open world like Dead Island. It plays much more like Resident Evil 4 than any other game IMO.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
How about dying light?

I have a new build on the way from new egg and I am itching to try the new system out on a new game

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I'm tempted to get Dying Light because I really enjoyed State of Decay (kind of similar gameplay).

Right now you can get it from GMG for 25% off.

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
I wasn't a fan of either game, found them both boring and over hyped. But hey, that's just me.

Last edited:

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
I bought The Evil Within at launch and was greatly looking forward to it.

I won't go into my whole review (if you want that, here you go)

But long story short, I was quite disappointed in the game overall. It simply lacked scares, had a convoluted and uninteresting plot, and had gameplay and controls that were too clunky to be much fun for an action game.

Is it worth $20? I mean....yeah? Probably? But honestly you can do much better.
Hell, the Resident Evil remake on STEAM for $20 is LIGHT YEARS superior.

thujone

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2003
Is it worth $20? I mean....yeah? Probably? But honestly you can do much better.
Hell, the Resident Evil remake on STEAM for $20 is LIGHT YEARS superior.

this was the comparison i did this weekend... and decided to just play the gc RE remake and order food instead lol

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Evolve is basically a vehicle for selling DLC. Dying Light isn't even out yet, so none of us know how good it is (but if I had to guess, it's basically just Dead Island with some more elaborate movement mechanics).

The Evil Within is a decent, but somewhat poorly-made horror title. Considering the other two options, my vote would go to this one.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I watched a play through on YouTube for the Evil Within. Saved me 50-60 bucks but for 66% off I would not argue getting it. I can confirm with the extremist review that the story does not make sense until the very last 15-30 minutes of the game.
Though you can kind of figure it out that you are in alternate reality 1/4 away through.

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Soooo..what you are saying is fvck everyone else, I watched a youtube of the game and am going to spoil it for you regardless....

Seriously let's plays need to die. People who judge them based on those are bad people ;p (not saying the game doesn't suck...but seriously..use tags please). I have it and haven't played it yet. It's a new game.

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
Soooo..what you are saying is fvck everyone else, I watched a youtube of the game and am going to spoil it for you regardless....

Seriously let's plays need to die. People who judge them based on those are bad people ;p (not saying the game doesn't suck...but seriously..use tags please). I have it and haven't played it yet. It's a new game.

Huh? You can easily judge a game from watching it. Playing it doesn't change anything about the game except for the fact that you are the one controlling whats going on. Why should I spend my $50 on something that I may or may not like, its just not financially worth it to me. I would much rather watch a few people giving it a go and seeing whether or not its worth it at that point. "Let's Plays" are great for the consumer, terrible for game developers.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
of these 3 for sure Dying Light

Evolve is multiplayer only and destined to fail on PC where no new IP's can break ground due to so many different games people play, the community simply wont be more than a few thousand to start and will taper off to between 1-2k players for a few months, within a year it will be down to a few hundred players and by year 2 will be completely dead except for private matches and random servers dominated by experts at the game

The Evil Within is a turd from an overhyped aging developer who has lost touch with modern game development gets by on nostalgia for days gone by when they made good Playstation 1 games

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Sorry, I thought it was so obvious even in the game title what it was about.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Huh? You can easily judge a game from watching it. Playing it doesn't change anything about the game except for the fact that you are the one controlling whats going on. Why should I spend my $50 on something that I may or may not like, its just not financially worth it to me. I would much rather watch a few people giving it a go and seeing whether or not its worth it at that point. "Let's Plays" are great for the consumer, terrible for game developers.

Really wasn't talking about them as a function, but more of a spoiler issue. Watching someone play a game isn't nearly the same as playing it. Then to come here and basically be like "it sucks because I watched some guy play it on youtube, and here's what happens" is worse.

While I see the benefits of what you are saying (I've done it), it is becoming more common to just watch someone play it entirely through and judge it based off that. Alien:Isolation was a good example. Certain games don't look that interesting if you are watching someone over the shoulder.

Last edited:

Omar F1

Sep 29, 2009
I'm slowly playing The Evil Within, it's a mixture of both enjoyment & frustration.
Simply you have to conserve ammo as much as you could, you would have to reload multiple times at some points (boss fights - check Youtube), but otherwise I'm enjoying few hours of gameplay in every few days.

clayton006

Feb 14, 2014
I'm getting excited for Dying Light myself. I plan to check out Evolve soon but I think I enjoy the multiplayer games like this more and more as I play them. That's probably why I also like H1Z1