Evolution happening before our very eyes? Awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Science/2010/08/26/15151061.html

Scientists observing a small group of Australian lizards very closely, believe they may be watching evolution happen right before their eyes.

A variety of Australian skink - like snake but with four tiny legs - is slowly starting abandon egg laying and beginning to give birth to live offspring like a mammal does.

Skinks in the mountainous region of New South Wales have almost entirely moved to live birth. But the same species living in the lowlands along the coast are far more likely to lay eggs containing their young.

The subject was discussed in the latest issue of the Journal of Morphology.

According to a 1999 study that looked at the transition that some lizards are known to make from egg-laying to live-birth, the evolutionary step only travels in one direction. Once a species begins giving live births, it never goes back to egg-laying.

Researchers speculate this could be because it's easier to keep offspring protected from the elements and predators if they are inside the mother's body, even if that means a more taxing draw of nutrients and energy from the mother.

Some researchers have suggested the transition from egg-laying to live-birth might not be as difficult as it initially appears.

Some skinks, they argue, simply retain the egg in the uterus for a longer period of time to protect it from colder external temperatures. The longer the egg is kept in the uterus, the thinner the shell becomes. When a skink is born live, all that remains of the shell is a thin membrane, which the mother helps the baby break open.

The cold explanation cites a 1996 study and explains why the mountainous skinks are making the leap to live-birth faster than their lowland counterparts.

:thumbsup:

Closed at the OP's request because of people taking this thread topic way off topic.

esquared
Anandtech Administrator

Last edited by a moderator:

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
God working his wonders

laugh.gif
I know, right?

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
But they're still skinks! That's not evolution! That's microevolution, or evolution within a kind. Macroevolution, evolution OUTSIDE of a kind isn't possible.

Skinks will never evolve into spiders, so evolution is a myth.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
But they're still skinks! That's not evolution! That's microevolution, or evolution within a kind. Macroevolution, evolution OUTSIDE of a kind isn't possible.

Skinks will never evolve into spiders, so evolution is a myth.
Yes, because after all it will only take a few years for a lizard to turn into a peacock, everyone knows this.

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Yes, because after all it will only take a few years for a lizard to turn into a peacock, everyone knows this.
That's what those dumb evilutionists think! They think the monkeys decided to grow bigger brains and turn into us! If monkeys changed into humans, then WHY are there still monkeys living today?

Evolution is a conspiracy perpetrated on us by the liberal academia and leftist scientists because they are in rebellion against God. Boycott schools! Don't believe their "facts" and "science"! Learning and knowledge are Satan's Autobahn to HELL.

Slacker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Muahahahaha, my plan for world domination of the skink egg market is nearly complete! you fools want your precious skink egg omelets you'll have to go through ME! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Not before my eyes. I live in the United States, not Australia.
Although, I have been skiing in Austria.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I really don't get why non-believers get so excited about some article that supports evolution. The vast, overwhelming majority of people of faith don't disbelieve evolution, and find it rather amusing that you spend so much time looking for evidence to support it to point out to us churchfolk. You might as well post an article with the thread title "OMG, here's proof that professional wrestling isn't real!"

heavolution.jpg

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I really don't get why non-believers get so excited about some article that supports evolution. The vast, overwhelming majority of people of faith don't disbelieve evolution, and find it rather amusing that you spend so much time looking for evidence to support it to point out to us churchfolk. You might as well post an article with the thread title "OMG, here's proof that professional wrestling isn't real!"

heavolution.jpg

You got a bigger version of that picture?

Gigantopithecus

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2004
Evolution is a conspiracy perpetrated on us by the liberal academia and leftist scientists because they are in rebellion against God. Boycott schools! Don't believe their "facts" and "science"! Learning and knowledge are Satan's Autobahn to HELL.

Using this in a lecture. :D

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008
So in the near future, chickens won't come out in eggs no more? :'(

chicken_eggs_hatching

No. Humans are slowly forcing chickens to evolve into a species that is completely dependent on us to survive. Basically, we are turning chickens into a crop animal, born and bred to satisfy our hunger. In the future every single bit of a chicken will have a use, there will be no waste. With the proper genetic engineering, it will be possible to grow chickens like plants, where there will be a central 'core' with chickens growing out of it like fruit. Here, take a look at the future:
chickenfactory.jpg

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
That's what those dumb evilutionists think! They think the monkeys decided to grow bigger brains and turn into us! If monkeys changed into humans, then WHY are there still monkeys living today?

OHHH, you're just having fun with it. Nevermind my post, then. Heh. :p

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
No. Humans are slowly forcing chickens to evolve into a species that is completely dependent on us to survive. Basically, we are turning chickens into a crop animal, born and bred to satisfy our hunger. In the future every single bit of a chicken will have a use, there will be no waste. With the proper genetic engineering, it will be possible to grow chickens like plants, where there will be a central 'core' with chickens growing out of it like fruit. Here, take a look at the future:
chickenfactory.jpg

That looks delicious.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006

Please link all the threads I start trying to show proof that evolution is true.

I like how you stuff words into my mouth about what I'm trying to post about, too.

:colbert:

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY