Evochron Legacy, for Elite&Dangerous or Star Citizen fans!

Feb 19, 2009
Dropped on Steam today: http://store.steampowered.com/app/398170/

No idea it was coming at all. Grabbed it after watching some Let's Play, because it was smooth, Newtonian flight with options to disable Flight Assist to fly without restrictions.

Been playing it for a few hours.

Seamless planetary transition and landing on ports! With missions to find artifacts, capture wildlife, shoot down meteors before they impact etc.

Ship customization is top notch.

Trading is really intuitive with tooltip info that reveals supply and demand in each system.

Mining is cool as you can do it on planets, get to near the surface and blast your mining beam, getting gold, diamonds and platinum that sell for a lot.

The game uses a lot of procedural generation for systems and planets, keeps the entire download at 350MB!

You don't need always online to play the SP. Have not tried MP yet, but read there's Faction PvP as territory (space stations, planets) change hands.

Just found out it was developed by one guy! o_O

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
I played Evochron last year a little and it was pretty rough, although I did really like the flight mechanics and actually flying into stations, etc. Is this a significant update or something?

Feb 19, 2009
I played Evochron last year a little and it was pretty rough, although I did really like the flight mechanics and actually flying into stations, etc. Is this a significant update or something?

That as from 2010, Evochron Mercenary.

This one as far as I see, is a whole new engine, much expanded, more features, prettier (still not E&D level but good enough). You can actually fly into a nebula to hide from enemies and evade missiles. :)

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
Looks pretty similar to Evochron Mercenary which I got a bit bored with after a few hours. If the planets look better and the economy simulation is a bit deeper, it might be worth it though.

It's also pretty amazing for a one-man development team. Makes you wonder why ED and SC need multi-million dollar budgets and development teams the size of a small city.

Edit: 40% off for existing users. Another hint for ED and their insulting &#8364;10 "loyalty discount" when they forced you to buy the entire game again to get planetary landings.

Last edited:

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
FYI there is a demo for this on the dev's site:

http://www.starwraith.com/evochronlegacy/downloads.htm

Will try it when I get home tonight. I remember trying the Mercenary demo way back, but never got into it.

It's also pretty amazing for a one-man development team. Makes you wonder why ED and SC need multi-million dollar budgets and development teams the size of a small city.

Not really. I definitely appreciate what this guy has done but the complexity and fidelity does not come close to something like Star Citizen.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net