Evil Kyro 64MB or a Inno3D Geforce 2 MX 32MB

kohrah

Mar 16, 2001
What do you all think? My budget is around $90.00 for a new video card (I'm moving up from a TNT1, so pretty much anything is a big step up). Do you think I should get an Evil Kyro 64MB or a Geforce 2 MX 32MB? The benchmarks seem to be very competitive.

arod324

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2001
I would definitely suggest the Radeon DDR LE. It will only cost you $77 shipped from www.newegg.com. It will cream the Geforce 2MX in hi-res and 32 bit color situations. I don't have a link with benchmarks at the moment, but I'll update my post when I find one.

gogeeta13

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
the radeon is really only worth getting if it has the hyperz, the le does not have hyperz

TravisBickle

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2000
hyperZ was disabled by default on all ATi cards because of the potential for artefacts- right?
if you want to tweak drivers, the LE should still offer it- search.
a Radeon without all that extra vivo stuff that gives so much pain is cute for that price.

Anaconda

Banned
Feb 18, 2001
I HIGHLY reccommend the Kyro II made by distributed by Guillemot(I think). It is a 149 bucks though a little over your budget. You can read about it on this very website. It outperformed GeForce2 GTS, Pro, and in some cases the high and mighty GeForce2 ULTRA. Look for it on the Anandtech home page.

kohrah

Mar 16, 2001
I have considered the Kyro II (Prophet 4500) and here is my rational for not getting a video card that exceeds $100.00: With the future of games in probably 6-8 months time going toward using Direct X 8 specific features, and the new capabilities of technologies like the Vertex Shader, it seems pointless to throw a lot of money at a high end card now when they are going to be very obsolete when DX8 titles come to market. All I want is a decent card to tide me over until I can get a more advanced card DX8 card and not have to open a home equity loan to afford one. As for the Radeon LE, from the benchmarks I've seen, the Geforce 2 MX munches it. Those supporting the Radeon LE, can you send me some benchmarks that show it's 32-bit performance compared to the Geforce 2 MX?

kohrah

Mar 16, 2001
Okay, I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and get a Prophet 4500. I guess it's only $60.00 more than my budget.

shawn_16

Banned
Oct 9, 1999
What do you want exactly in a videocard? The geforce is a little bit faster but speed isn't everything. You also get EMBM w/ the kyro, which looks great IMO
I suggest you get hercules' or videologic's kyro (powercolor's support sucks)
visit here

ASK THE COMMUNITY