EVGA z97 for a new build or go Z170

Chingis

Apr 10, 2005
Hi guys

My current setup is a EVGA classified X58 with a I7 930
12 gigs of ram
R7 390 gpu
2 tb 7200 HD

I was at Frys the other day and the manager sold me a EVGA classified Z97 board for $50

I am planning on building a more current PC for Work and Gaming
should I just use the Z97 or buy a much more current motherboard. something like a Z170
I plan on buying everything again and just using my current PC as a spare.

The Pc is mostly used for BF1 for Gaming and work doesn't matter much mostly online.

My thoughts are and I don't have anything picked up yet.
960 gig SSD
2-4 TB storage drive in raid.
1070 GPU
650 or better PSU
mobo,ram,proc up in the air.
16-32 gigs of ram
Don't plan on overclocking.

any thoughts or suggestions would be very helpful. I have not built a PC in a while.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
If I were building, I would go with the z170 build compared to z97, but in all honesty at this point, I'd go with a z270 motherboard. If you plan on keeping your PC for many years, you should go with current gen stuff. Plus Skylake and Many Lake CPUs are more effecient, and run cooler.

Z97 boards will soon start getting fewer and fewer, and new ones that remain will become more expensive. It happens with every Intel generation. Now you might say "Why does that matter"? The key thing is say you go with a z97 build, and 3 years later your motherboard dies. You will pay a lot trying to find a new one. If you go with a z170 or z270, and the same thing happens, it will easier and cheaper to find a motherboard because socket LGA1151 motherboards are still in production.

And one last thing to consider is AMD's Ryzen is being released very soon, so you might want to see how good it is. There's a lot of hype around it, but nobody knows for sure how it will perform. It does sound really good in theory/leaks/rumours.

Chingis

Apr 10, 2005
Thank you for your input. I was already leaning towards more modern hardware. Just wanted thoughts from others.
in the grand scheme of things saving 150-200 on a motherboard shouldn't be my deciding factor.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Thank you for your input. I was already leaning towards more modern hardware. Just wanted thoughts from others.
in the grand scheme of things saving 150-200 on a motherboard shouldn't be my deciding factor.

You should be able to find plenty of good motherboard choices under $150. But if you are a person who builds a PC and keeps it for a good amount of time, an extra $100 -$200 isn't so bad. Plus, the newer boards generally have better audio, multiple M.2 slots, USB 3.1, and other "nice-to-haves".