EVGA SuperNOVA NEX650G Gold: too noisy

bgt

Oct 6, 2007
Had to find a new psu for my FX and 7950 setup and got this 1 in....the fan is too noisy. Have send it back. Now waiting for a Seasonic G550.

bgt

Oct 6, 2007
received a Seasonic 550G..........too much humm. Looks like a 100Hz problem. Always the same tone and it resonates with my housing. Whats up with all these so called super PSU's? Have to send it back also.

bgt

Oct 6, 2007
Got a Seasonic series X 650W now and thats super quiet. Excellent service from Seasonic BTW.

boom314

Nov 10, 2005
I think you are too picky. All of my power supplies make noise. I have an EVGA 750G and it does not sound any different than any other power supply. You should have kept that EVGA 650 and just RMA'd it. You would have a good PSU with a 10 year warranty

coffeejunkee

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2010
Or you're not picky enough. We as hardware enthusiasts pay good money, so it's not too far out to demand a psu to be as silent as possible. It's always easy for a manufacturer to let the fan spin a little faster so they can extend the warranty period.

Anyway, good that your X650 is silent but you do hear a lot of complaints about coil whine/electrical noise. As I understood it it's a problem that comes with making psu's ever more efficient. First time I hear about 100Hz problem though, care to expand?

bgt

Oct 6, 2007
I got this answer from Seasonic:

This has to deal with a component we are using matching to ErP regulations

The first Seasonic I got had a kind of 100Hz vibration on the PSU casing. When you laid your hand on top you could feel it. The new 1 is dead quiet.

For me the complete PC has to be dead quiet. I paid good money for it so no excuse. The EVGA had a noisy fan(rpm was far too high). The Seasonic uses a fanless design till 20% and then the fan starts turning very slowly, still very quiet.

Last edited:

boom314

Nov 10, 2005
I could understand that you want it to be quiet when you are idle. But silent operation is usually not the best for performance. Besides, if you are playing a game or something, you would have audio that will drown out any hardware sounds.

bgt

Oct 6, 2007
boom314, nothing may interfere with my audio system. I use an optical sytem with a highend DAC and highend Hypex Class D amps(400 p/ch) with super lineair preamp. No tone controls. Boxes are Monitor Audio's Silver RS8. So ugly fan whine would ruin the absolute superb audio quality. Super audio makes the game alive;)