Discussion EVGA exits video card market, terminates partnership with Nvidia (GN, JayzTC)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Via the videos posted, EVGA will keep some cards on hand to honor warranties for the ampere cards.

- I figure there is some algo that EVGA is using to predict the bare minimum number of cards they have to keep on hand for the amount of outstanding warrantied inventory based on prior failure rates etc.

It would very much suck for someone buying a card today to be told 2-2.5 years from now "lol we don't have any more cards left, here is a $50 credit to buy one of our other products" or something.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
Now there will be a run on EVGA cards and all will sell out at high prices. Then they will say, just kidding, kiss and make up and dance with the wolves for Christmas.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Damn. I can't even count how many EVGA cards I've had. Sometimes multiples of a generation to run in up to quad SLI. Looks like I'll have to look elsewhere for a 4090 next month.

DiogoDX

Oct 11, 2012
Crazy stuff. JPR says that EVGA have 40% of Nvdia market share in NA.

EVGA dropping Nvidia will put a big hole in Nvidia’s North American sales of AIBs (where EVGA enjoyed 40% market share) and EVGA fans in Western Europe. Nvidia can overcome that by adjusting the allocation levels for the remaining AIB partners, as well as direct sales through Best Buy, but it will take a quarter or two. Given the inventory overhang that partners and Nvidia are having, there seems to be no rush.

The other AIBs must be fighting like mad dogs right now over this hole on the market.

Frenetic Pony

May 1, 2012
EVGA Radeons would be absolutely great. But it sounded (to me) like they wanted out of GPUs.

Sounds like everyone would want out, at least of Nvidia's partnerships. It's just that EVGA has enough business elsewhere to actually do so.

Maybe AIBs will going by the way side if they're really this squeezed, at least for Nvidia.

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
Sounds like everyone would want out, at least of Nvidia's partnerships. It's just that EVGA has enough business elsewhere to actually do so.

Maybe AIBs will going by the way side if they're really this squeezed, at least for Nvidia.

I mean, it's not like MSI, ASUS and Gigabyte couldn't do the same. Very interesting. Hopefully it shakes things up at NVIDIA a bit but I doubt it.

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
Regardless of what Evga said about Intel or AMD, have feeling they are being cagey and leaving that possibility open. Perhaps to negotiate more favorable terms if Intel or AMD wish to court them. Like a girl playing hard to get.
I think they got out at the perfect time. The gpu business will be under pressure for the short to medium term with the mining gpu overhang, inventory overhang and threats of recessions in large parts of the Western world. Sure they would have some R&D invested in the 4000 series, but sounds like the CEO likes his sleep more than gpu marketshare during this turbulent time.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
The company doesn't do a lot outside of video cards though, and that is what they are known for as a premium brand. I could see them switching to AMD cards like XFX did, especially if they are keeping all the staff. Their power supplies are fine but basically the same things other companies offer, and the motherboards are expensive niche models for extreme overclockers.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Looks like I'll have to look elsewhere for a 4090 next month.

STRIX is my next goto brand after FTW3.
Well, i was thinking on moving over to STRIX anyhow, as lately they seem to have better pcb mosfets then FTW3.
I wish colorful was in more in the USA, as they have some really really pretty cards that i would love to do builds with, but i usually watercool mine so its moot.

Warning to note tho, ASUS's RMA is run by a bunch of gorillia's that like to throw things across the room, so make sure you pack your cards right, and include pictures of cards in the condition it was sent inside the box.

I could see them switching to AMD cards like XFX did

They also had a fallout with Nvidia back in the 8800 series.
I remember having a pair of 8800GT's in SLI... Here's a trip down memory lane...

IMG_1084.jpg

They also made NF4 boards too....
IMG_1326.JPG

it was a pretty nasty fallout to completely cut nvidia like that...

Off note... those be the FIRST LEDs on DDR's that we got for our hobby... :)

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Bummer ... EVGA was my "go-to" for Nvidia... in fact my current 3080 Founders Edition is the first none-EVGA primary GPU I've had in 14 years! (since my original 8800-GTX)

I doubt they'll be around for long after this move...have to wonder what effect the "lifetime" warranty on older cards had on the company financially.

Reactions: Leeea

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
XFX also offered lifetime warranty. XFX used to be associate with Nvidia, but they got out too, and the were courted by AMD.

XFX is going down the gutter lately tho... i just hope eVGA isn't going down the same road they are.

XFX, HIS used to be my 2 favorate preferred vendors...

XFX is in a lot of trouble with China, and i don't even know if HIS is around anymore...

Reactions: Leeea

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Diamond and BFG Tech were some other premium Nvidia brands from back then, and they also disappeared. I think Diamond briefly came back as an AMD brand.

It seems only MSI/Asus/Gigabyte offer both Nvidia and AMD cards. Maybe they are big enough to dictate terms to Nvidia/AMD, as video cards are not their main business.