EVGA B5 Bronze fully modular power supply series

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
https://www.evga.com/articles/01392/evga-b5-psu/

Another day, another new EVGA power supply. :p

No reviews out there yet, and based on their history since they released the G5 series, actual reviews will be few and far in between.

Pricing seems competitive against the pricing of their competitor's products, but it all comes down to how they perform. It was disappointing to see they only use all Japanese capacitors on the two largest models, and only feature a main Japanese capacitor on the 550w and 650w units.

Highlights:
-Fully modular​
-5 year warranty​
-Available in sizes from 550w - 850w​
-135mm fan​
-Eco mode (fan stop)​
-Uses all Japanese capacitors (on 750w and 850w models only).​
-Claimed efficiency is much higher than bronze efficiency​
Pricing (on EVGA's site):
  • 550w - $79.99
  • 650w - $89.99
  • 750w - $109.99
  • 850w - $129.99

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I'm about to RMA my second EVGA PSU. Think I'll be staying away from them for awhile.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
A 750w p2 platinum.

That's possibly the best series of units EVGA has ever released. And yeah it's a Superflower. I have one of those, and have had it for years. Brilliant PSU. If I had to look at another PSU today, I'd be looking at the models SuperFlower is bringing to North America (rather than anything EVGA) because of how good this unit has been for me. That or Antec HCP.

LukeSavenije

Jan 29, 2020
linustechtips.com
That's possibly the best series of units EVGA has ever released. And yeah it's a Superflower. I have one of those, and have had it for years. Brilliant PSU. If I had to look at another PSU today, I'd be looking at the models SuperFlower is bringing to North America (rather than anything EVGA) because of how good this unit has been for me. That or Antec HCP.
fun thing... HCP Platinum's platform (Delta GM) is currently also used in the 2019 version of Cooler Master's V-series platinum. It's not the best like HCP used to be, with the introduction of AXi for example, but still a very good PSU. Thing is that delta currently only has this platform on the market, as they otherwise only really do OEM work.

Superflower is well performing, but have done some thing I'm personally not a fan of. For example very early G2 batches didn't have OTP, so they quickly added it into the fan controller, as this is the easiest, but in my eyes not really a spot where you want OTP to, since it most likely will be used when the fan fails. with that they make huge wattages, but all on a single 12v rail. my personal limit for this is 60a, so around 650-750w I'm starting to look for multirail units

but who knows... Leadex III gold was a good fix of G3, and it seems like there are more coming soon, so I'll be happy to see what they're going to deliver

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
First unit would cause my computer to BSOD during gaming when I upgraded to a 1080ti. Got a larger sized EVGA and no longer any issues in that machine.

The replacement 750 I got. I put in a new machine running a 2080ti and was experiencing random lockups during gaming. Found through troubleshooting that I was getting i/o errors on my mechanical drives that eventually caused windows to lock.

Had a spare 750 seasonic from decomissioning a previous machine and noticed it has about half an amp more current on all the non 12v outputs. Put that in and all the event errors went away and no more lockups.

So the rma'd evga will go back to get replaced again.

Not sure if its due to not enough current on the 5v, or a general failure causing below spec output when 12v demand is increased.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Looks like it's getting hard to find V-series Platinum PSUs:

Availability on Antec HCP seems better.

@lupi

Ugh. I had problems with a 1250W Seasonic on a mining rig years ago. Even the RMA replacement unit seemed . . . flaky. Never could figure it out.