EVGA 8600GT $120AR @ CC (B&M?)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: bigsnyder
Originally posted by: jalaram
From what I've heard, this is supposed to be an HTPC card more than a gaming card. That said, I've also heard that the 8600 doesn't have HDCP.

Everything I read says it supports HDCP.

C Snyder

thats only on the gts.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: Haui
CONFIRMED!

Went to CC and they had them in stock. I told the dipshit firedog guy about it and he looked at me like I was stupid. Right there, I said either get it out or let me see a supervisor. He took it out quickly, took it and rang it up....guess what...

$149.99 + tax came out to be $162.36

I will be mailing in my $30 rebate as well tomorrow. What is this 90 Days steup program? Can I upgrade my card in 90 days to a better card for free?

Evga will let you step up to a higher end card in the next 90 days for the price of the card less what you paid for the 8600GT.

You will need a proof of purchase, and it will cost you two way shipping.

Also, keep all of the packaging, manuals, and CDs that come with the card for the return trip.

ir0nw0lf

Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: hans007
Originally posted by: bigsnyder
Originally posted by: jalaram
From what I've heard, this is supposed to be an HTPC card more than a gaming card. That said, I've also heard that the 8600 doesn't have HDCP.

Everything I read says it supports HDCP.

C Snyder

thats only on the gts.

Not 100% true. As per Nvidia's website:
Q: Do these GPUs support HDCP?
A: All GeForce 8600 GTS cards are HDCP capable. GeForce 8600 GT and GeForce 8500 GT cards will support HDCP at the discretion of our board partners.
Notice the last part of the last sentence... Now it's more than likely that you won't see HDCP on the 8500/8600 GT, but it's not a no-no from Nvidia either...

Jassi

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2004
I went to return my 7600GS from a previous deal and didn't see the 8600GT on display. They probably had it in the back still. Decided to pass and wait until AMD responds to this card. If they disappoint, I'll jump on the x1950gt.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: bearxor
Originally posted by: TekDemon
Originally posted by: Jassi
I've seen many reviews but the DX10 aspect of the card + Dual DVI + the latest news of HDTV processing being handled by the GPU might make it worth it for some people.
To be honest though, I'm not really sure how many people with a PCI-E slot would really have a CPU that couldn't pick up the slack. And anybody with a Core 2 would have more than enough power to do HDTV with any video card.
Nope. Opteron 165 here with a X1300. 1080i chops something awful. I have to boot up the xbox to watch shows recorded in 1080i off of NBC or CBS.

Well then you have something slowing it down because my 3700 A64 939 running on onboard ATi graphics with shared 32mb of mem chuggs away at any HD I throw at it no problem, and looks really good. And were talking no where near the graphics card your running built into my mobo ;)
As far as 8600gt VS 1950pro, as another poster put it, at what point is DX 10 going to do you if the damn card wont play the games anyway, and if it does it will be at such a low res it will just look like crap.

I have seen in the FS section 1950 pro, 7900gt, gto,gtx cards going for $175 and under that will just smack this card 6 ways to Sunday. But again having dx10 isn't going to do jack for you if it wont run the damn games, if it doesn't have HDCP, and from everything I have read, and will try to find later since it is late, cannot compete with ATi video processing. I'm not a fanboy of ATi, just my money, and if I had to choose it sure in hell would be the 1950pro for sure.

The biggest SNAFU that Graphzilla has right now is the situation with HDCP, or the lack of it. G86 supports HDCP native, G84 has issues. Thus, partners will have to buy additional Encrypto-key EEPROM chips in order for GF8600GTS to have a support for practically any HD content out there.

Linkage

Acording to this review you will have to jump up to the 8600GTS OC, 2 steps up from a gt, and 1 up from a gts, to come close to the same performance of a X1950pro

And one more review/bench mark for good measure.
And pay close attention that this is the upscale card to the one in the op, this is a 8600GTS OC, one up from a regular 8600GTS, and 2 up from the 8600gt, up against a X1950PRO, and things really get messy when the res and the eye candy go up, I could just cringe to think what the GTS, or the OPs 8600gt score would be :eek:.

So there you have it, unlike other posters, I back up what I say with facts ;)

You are way way way much better off getting a 1950pro or holding off then buying a 8600gt for it wont do jack crap other then look good in your case, provided you have a window, and your friends don't ask to play a game :)

Stas

Dec 31, 2004
8600GT may have an advantage over 1950Pro of supporting DX10. However, IMHO, the performance in those games will be very low considering its week competition on the DX9 ring.

DefDC

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
FWIW, I wanted a cheap card NOW. I was upgrading from: A64 3700, 2gb DDR, BFG 6800OC (standard).

Now I have a A64 4400X2, 2gb DDR2, 8600GT. It's running Oblivion VERY nice at 1680 X 1050. (no AA) Much better than my old system. An ATI card may be slightly faster, but this will get me by until the next price drop on 8800s or 8900s... I don't plan on upgrading to Vista for quite a while, so DX10 is not much of a concern. And this card might find a home as a HTPC card... Whatever. The price was right for a modest performer! :)

pctwo

Oct 12, 2003
For people interested in the HDTV capabilities, I recommend holding off for now. For one thing, XP support will not be there until June (that is, if nvidia holds its promise), when prices will have dropped further. While h264 accel works on Vista, on avsforum, people are reporting VC1 is actually worse than older cards with no accel.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=835630&page=8&pp=30

So there are some kinks to be worked out yet and unless you need a card NOW, I'd wait a bit and see.

Plus this particular card doesn't seem to have HDCP, so it's kinda moot.

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Corporate Thug
Credit goes to Zero7 over at Obese Purse for the heads up.

Look for it here!

Forgot to add, is it worth it? I'm torn between a X1950Pro, 8600GT and whatever ATI's new lineup throws my way. I might buy and hold until some reviews of ATI's new cards leak.

If you check out the AT benchies, the 1950Pro beats the 8600GT in every game bench.

Not in HD processing it doesn't.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I need to see what ATI will offer in a few weeks but this looks like a nice deal.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: Chadder007
Originally posted by: Corporate Thug
Credit goes to Zero7 over at Obese Purse for the heads up.

Look for it here!

Forgot to add, is it worth it? I'm torn between a X1950Pro, 8600GT and whatever ATI's new lineup throws my way. I might buy and hold until some reviews of ATI's new cards leak.

If you check out the AT benchies, the 1950Pro beats the 8600GT in every game bench.

Not in HD processing it doesn't.

Because everyone needs tons of free cpu for when they are watching 1080p movies on their PC.

zig3695

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2007
the budget 8xxx series cards are good for full hardware H.264 encoding. no cpu usage! no dual core systems needed for watching high-def!

SitrukFlow

Feb 1, 2006
I jumped on this deal.

I'm running a Dell Optiplex 745, so I didn't have a lot of room in my case for something big or power hungry. I do have to say that the reviews do not give this card as much credit as it deserves. The IQ on this card is amazing in my opinion and it's running Counter-Strike: Source Maxed settings at 1440x900 WS. I'm running E6700 w/ 1g of ram.

I just cannot comment enough about how impressed I am with the image quality of this card. I'm running it under Quality Settings with the above mentioned settings in Source and not breaking 150FPS constant.

If you are looking for a silent, low heat, low power consumption, smaller profile card, you will not find a better solution than this imo.

- Sitruk

NYNY2244

Jun 2, 2006
Sorry to bump this, but has anyone gotten their rebate yet? I mailed mine out on May 7 and still haven't gotten any sort of confirmation they received it nor does anything come up when I look up my info on their site. I ended up calling them to ask about it and the guy I was talking to said I needed to give him the promotion code which was on the rebate and of course I forgot to copy down. Anybody happen to know what it was? I'm gonna be a bit annoyed if I end not getting this rebate.

dkbks

Jun 4, 2003
I have exactly the same issue with the rebate and never received a tracking number. I did save a copy of everything and the promotion code is 07-68512. I have been emailing Parago back and forth for 10 days about it - they are slow and not too bright. They keep confusing it with a $10 rebate for a EVGA motherboard for which I did quickly receive a tracking number. Their phone system is a trial - I'm glad you actually got to talk with someone. Wish us all luck!

NYNY2244

Jun 2, 2006
I tried that promotion code on rebateshq and nothing came up. It is the same as the department number I have for the online rebate I have though. I called them a second time the other day and they told me to fax a copy of the rebate and receipt to them but the number I was given doesn't work. I'm gonna call again tommorow and see if I can hopefully get a competent representative to talk to. I'm probably gonna be hosed due to my negligence to make a copy of the UPC though. The only other thing I can use is the UPC label on the card itself that matches the one on the box.

NYNY2244

Jun 2, 2006
Another update: Just called again and this time got a fax number that worked. I faxed them the receipt from circuit city along with a copy of the rebate with the UPC and serial numbers written at the bottom (figured it was better than nothing).

Anyone else who's interested in faxing them, the number is 1-800-886-8370