EVGA 80 Plus 600W Power Supply $29.99

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I've been running this Corsair 500 since March of 2014 with no problems. It had a 3 year warranty. Should I go ahead and grab this EVGA just to be ready?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

3 years of use isn't really that long of a period with modern quality power supplies. While it's always good to have a spare ready to avoid any down time, I really wouldn't worry that your current PSU is suddenly going to die since it had a 3 year warranty. I've run many units with a 3 year warranty that have been fine for 5-7 years before being replaced in new builds.

Also, what you linked to is a Corsair unit, not an EVGA one.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
If your PSU came with your case, consider replacing it if it reaches the 3-year mark. For separately-purchased (retail) PSUs, even if they only have a 2-3 year warranty (I'm looking at you, Antec), then they will most likely last 5 years, if they are of at least moderate quality. (Something better than Deer/PowMax/Chinese OEM non-UL-listed crap.)

If it has Japanese or solid caps in it, and it has at least a 5-year mfg warranty (most have 7-10), then I would probably attempt to run it till 10 years.

But, to avoid downtime, have a spare PSU on-site.

Macgyversite

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2002
Get one. They work.

If you dont want down time as stated.

Keep spare parts around. Power Supply, Router, Etc Etc.