Evga 7950GX2 shuts off

How1tz3r

Jan 4, 2009
I updated the driver for my Evga 7950GX2 and ever since it won't boot. If I boot to safe mode and remove the driver it will run just fine in VGA mode, but the moment I install the Nvidia driver (new or old) once the PC reboots, the videocard will power off.

Has anyone heard of this before? Is it a registry problem or hardware?

Thanks for any advice.

Ohhh and yes I know it's time to update my videocard, but after blowing a couple of grand on a vacation and presents for everyone else in my family, there is no cash for me. So I will have to wait a little while before I can update this (unless it's dead).

How1tz3r

Jan 4, 2009
I did try that as well. I installed the original drivers that came with the card and even those ones don't seem to work.

How1tz3r

Jan 4, 2009
ASUS P5B-DH
Core 2 Duo E6600@3.00Ghz
4 GIG OCZ PC-6700 Ram
Nvidia 7950GX2
FATAL1TY X-Fi Soundcard

Windows XP Professional SP3.

How1tz3r

Jan 4, 2009
Quick update. It was the card itself. I picked up another hard drive last night and installed a clean install of WinXp on it, got it all set up and patched and then installed the Nvidia drivers, once I do that, and it switches to a high resolution, poof, screen goes blank. Guess I will send it back for a repair and buy a new card. I will keep the 7950GX2 as a backup. Now the question is, what card to buy??? I want something sub $300.00.