EVGA 7900GTX Probs

XxooxX7447

Jan 25, 2006
I just received a brand new 7900GTX in the mail, and it is working with a score of 5700 on 3Dmark 2006, sweet! This is good however I try playing Q4 at Ultra High Quality(where u supoosedly need 500 Meg texture memory), and it takes forever to load, and eventually freezes when just starting the game. I also tried oblivion and it does not recognize my video hardware and wants me to use medium quality. Does anyone know whats going on? I believe my videcard is working well under 3d mark, but it seems like games are not recognizing my videocard and making use of the new 512MB card. Any ideas how to fix this? I have an AMD 3800+ Dual core, 1 Gig OCZ memory, ASUS A8N32SLI deluxe, EVGA 7900GTX 512MB, 500W P/S.

XxooxX7447

Jan 25, 2006
I forgot to mention that I have used both the 84.21 drivers and 84.25 drivers from nvidia.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
What card did you have before this one? And did you run "driver cleaner" after uninstalling your old drivers?

XxooxX7447

Jan 25, 2006
I had a EVGA 7800GT before, I got this 7900GTX through EVGA's step up program. And yes, I uninstalled the 7900GTX though device manager, where it asked to remove all registry info and I said yes. I then restarted my computer with no drivers for the video card and had to install the nvidia 84.21.

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
Proper way to install drivers (do in order):
-First, Install better Drivers
-Uninstall 7900GTX from Device Manager
-Reboot into safe mode
-Use Driver Cleaner Pro (Nvidia)
-Reboot (regular Windows)
-Install New Drivers
-Reboot
-Tweak some settings (like HQ, and AA and AF, res, etc.)
-Profit/Enjoy

Also, any other overclocking can add to instablility problems in some programs. I found that Q4 crashed because of the OC on my RAM. As soon as I backed down a little and lossened the timings my system was ROCK SOLID.

So you have to find settings and OC's that work for you. This could take at least a month to figure out what settings make your computer rock solid in stability.

XxooxX7447

Jan 25, 2006
I tried reinstalling the drivers using the procedure described in driver cleaner and using driver cleaner itself with no help. I even installed drivers that evga recommended on their website 84.56! I do not understand what is going on but it seems like a software problem where these games are not recognizing my card. I also have not overclocked it at all. I cannot get it to work right, so there is not point to make it not work right faster.

Vinnybcfc

Nov 9, 2005
Originally posted by: XxooxX7447
I just received a brand new 7900GTX in the mail, and it is working with a score of 5700 on 3Dmark 2006, sweet! This is good however I try playing Q4 at Ultra High Quality(where u supoosedly need 500 Meg texture memory), and it takes forever to load, and eventually freezes when just starting the game. I also tried oblivion and it does not recognize my video hardware and wants me to use medium quality. Does anyone know whats going on? I believe my videcard is working well under 3d mark, but it seems like games are not recognizing my videocard and making use of the new 512MB card. Any ideas how to fix this? I have an AMD 3800+ Dual core, 1 Gig OCZ memory, ASUS A8N32SLI deluxe, EVGA 7900GTX 512MB, 500W P/S.

May need more ram for Quake 4 Ultra mode cant be sure though

and in game detection tools are crap set the settings manually for Oblivion

XxooxX7447

Jan 25, 2006
I spoke with EVGA tech support, and they said that oblivion not detecting hardware is a common issue. This I guess is ok, but what I'm wondering is if Q4 does needs 2 GIg of system memory to run ultra high quality mode. When i run it, I noticed that my page file was 1.5 gigs. Does anyone know if it is a requirement to have 2 gigs memory for ultra high quality mode, and how do u know if q4 is detecting your video card correctly??