Everyones selling hard drive coolers, are they worth buying?

Grminalac

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2000
I was just wondering: my hard drives seem a bit toasty, 2 40 gig maxtors 7200 one on top the other. I was considering buying 2 coolers but now i think its unneccesary. The heat shouldn't really hurt them as they are designed to operate that way. I have them in a well ventilated case.

Lalakai

Golden Member
Nov 30, 1999
are they stacked on top of each other or do you have a space between 'em?? Even though they may be constructed to operate under those conditions, a little extra cooling is never a bad idea. I just rigged up a gamma fan to blow air between 'em and help reduce the temp. Honestly don't know if it helps, but definetly know it ain't hurting anything. :p

Grminalac

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2000
I was thinking like you " a little extra cooling never hurt anything" and I figured it as true, but as I was reading reviews on the case I have, a Elan Vital T-10, many people stated that adding a extra front fan only caused turbulence to the internal air flow and impeded cooling. They reccomended only adding the rear fan. This is what disturbed me since I know the hard drive coolers would be similar to a front fan.

WalkingDead

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2000
No. I just have an 80mm Panaflo fan in front of 3 10k SCSI drive & that's enough to cool all 3 of them.

slurp

Jul 23, 2000
I am running 10k SCSI drives(U2W), and they throw off a lot of heat. Complete drive coolers are, in my opinion, a must for really fast drives, not only to leep your system cooler, but to prolong the life of your drives.

DELUX

Apr 11, 2000
Yes, member man heat no matter how low is still not good if coming from your computer. I only have a 20 gig Maxtor 5400 but I stil try to keep it as cool as possible. Better safe than sorry.
:)