Everyone i know is utterly sick of me trying to decide on a DSLR :|

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
:eek:

EDIT: Main uses: landscapes/sunrise/sunsets/bit of portrait (kitty, missus)...

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
good lord. you don't even know if you'll like using an slr yet, do you? and here you're contemplating spending tons of money on a mid-high level slr. and having just a telephoto lens suitable for portraits more than anything else. (yes, that is what the classic 'normal' lens has become, imho). if you're going to spend a bunch of money on something make it the glass. glass doesn't depreciate as much so when you sell it because you find you don't lug the camera around with you you won't take as much of a hit.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: ElFenix
good lord. you don't even know if you'll like using an slr yet, do you? and here you're contemplating spending tons of money on a mid-high level slr. and having just a telephoto lens suitable for portraits more than anything else. (yes, that is what the classic 'normal' lens has become, imho). if you're going to spend a bunch of money on something make it the glass. glass doesn't depreciate as much so when you sell it because you find you don't lug the camera around with you you won't take as much of a hit.

Used my film slr for years, but yeah :eek:

I can't decide between the D80 and the K10D, so i looked upwards :eek:

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
my mistake, then. carry on.

(get the E-410)

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
my mistake, then. carry on.

(get the E-410)

Oh, no don't get me wrong. You're honestly hitting the nail on the head :beer:

*crawls away to agonise between the D80 and K10D* :eek:

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
*cough*

What are the implications of the fourthirds system? :eek:

Nice looking camera :)

EDIT: I have heard that they are not as robust as the Nikons, by folks who have owned both...

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: dug777
*cough*

What are the implications of the fourthirds system? :eek:

Nice looking camera :)

live preview in an slr.

dust reduction that works very well (i've seen the pictures of that shack you call a motel out iin the middle of the desert)

smaller lenses for equivalent FOVs. (just go look at the camera in a store, particularly with the 40-150 lens on it, you'll be shocked).

lenses can also be made faster for equivalent FOVs (the 35-100 f/2.0, for example, which is a stop faster than canikon's 70-200 f/2.8s).

the jury is still out on depth of field capability (mostly because depth of field has so many variables and is a value judgment anyway).

theoretically lenses should also be less expensive to manufacture (smaller glass needed) for equivalent FOVs, but olympus is so small that it can't match canikon's economies of scale.

theoretically lower vignetting because the telecentric design makes the light at the edges of the sensor more perpendicular, but i'm not sure it's any different than the 'sweet spot' that 35 mm frame lenses enjoy on any crop body.

all of the zuiko digital lenses have a digital specific lens coating.

olympus seems to have more pleasing colors right out of the camera than anyone else, without looking processed.

and the wide angle lenses may be the best in the business.

negatives are that there isn't much 3rd party lens support (though, sigma isn't a traditional third party as it is a proper licensee of the 4/3 system).

there is a decided lack of prime lenses at the moment (and not many in the pipe).

there can be higher noise due to the smaller sensor (though the new NMOS used in the E-410/510 at least matches the sony CCDs used by everyone but canon, and may be pretty close to canon).

and though i'm partial to the E-410, if you'd like a hand grip and sensor-shift IS, the E-510 has that.

it's time for bed. i hope i've confused you further :evil:

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Made up my mind, after a big play in shop this arvo.

D80 with the 18-125mm.

Thankyou for putting up with me :beer:

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I'm sure you'll like it. The D80 is a great camera I've heard. Although now you won't be as cool as me (ok Zemnervolt) with our Alphas. ;)