Everybody who's working in Computers, Networking...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: polm
I am a Network Engineer for AT&T I never went to school

I got my first computer job teaching A+ when I was 19. It has been a matter of connections and my willingness to spend lotsa time with multiple operating systems (*NIX, NT, CISCO IOS, NETWARE) that got me where I am today.

BTW I am 23 now.

Are they hiring? :)

Damage

Dec 3, 2001
Nord.. as I said.. "I" am on the hook for the design.. If I put something in there that doesn't work the way put it in there the deal goes BUST... I spend a lot of time researching my configurations with outside vendors and our internal R&D..

It's my own personal version of "honorable selling"... We have to, if the customer isn't happy, we don't get any recurring revenue in the form of maintenance or upgrades.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
I'm a Network Engineer.

Heh....well I have a M.A. and B.A. in History as well as a B.A. in Geography, and a B.S. in Political Science.

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Netware is a Network OS not an OS.

A Network Operating System is an OS specialized on Networking. Just like a racecar is a car made for racing. Does that mean you cannot call it a car anymore?

If you say yes, you are not allowed to call any Windows version an OS anymore, according to Microsoft those are Desktop Operating Systems, so you will have to call them DOSes.

Network Operating System vs Desktop Operating System, please note the link :)

The servers, for example, must be capable of running a network operating system (NOS), such as Windows NT server, UNIX, or Novell Netware. Such NOS are much more complex than a typical desktop operating system. The desktop operating system, for instance, is responsible for managing the applications and data on a single computer. It is beholden primarily to its own user and is therefore most concerned with efficiently allocating processing time, memory, and other resources for an audience of one.

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
I started a little computer fixit/networking job around my neigherboor hood. You can be my henchmen who does lots of work for minimal pay if you like. I dont make much money off of it and its not a job so I dont think i should be posting in this thread....

PM me though if you want that lacky job.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Sys Admin (NT, 2K, Linux, Unix)

Data Processing degree and experience. Started back to college 4 semesters ago for another degree.

Garion

Platinum Member
Apr 23, 2001
Senior Network Architect for a big bank. BS in Computer Science, programming emphasis.

- G

Quake

Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Apathetic
I'm a computer programmer. My degree is Computer Science. I have also been a system administrator. The Comp Sci degree doesn't really help all that much with system administration, but is very useful as a programmer.

Dave

I don't know if the Ontario, Canada's system is like the US, but did you go to college for this degree?

Tallgeese

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Skyclad1uhm1
Originally posted by: TallGeese
Director of an IT consulting firm.

BA in English
MFA in Creative Writing
For a consulting job you indeed need a Bullsh!t Artist degree! ;)
Always heard the MFA called much worse... :p

DCFife

May 24, 2001
Me - Systems Administrator, zero hours of college, zero computer work experience, but a very useful TS/SCI clearance. :)

Wife - Systems Administrator, BS in Political Science, zero computer work experience, an equally useful TS/SCI clearance.

Top secret clearances are the wave of the future....

Dave

milagro

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2001
Desktop/Network Support

B.S. Hydrology (jumped shipped from a career as a hydrogeologist/environmental consultant)

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Skyclad1uhm1
Director of an IT consulting firm.

BA in English
MFA in Creative Writing
For a consulting job you indeed need a Bullsh!t Artist degree! ;)
Always heard the MFA called much worse... :p

'Bullsh!t Artist' is less likely to get me a warning from the mods than the MFA one though :p