Everybody assume the position

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
taken this evening on a Manhattan 1 train. It was uncanny. We all use our phones a lot it seems.

17855286_10155248388728854_6150084739948589969_o.jpg

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
lol it's kinda sad really what society has become. Even my family is bad for that. I seem to be the only one not glued to my phone.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
It's better for people to be looking at their phones or in the past reading newspapers.

The people who think everyone should be talking to each other don't live in the real world, that's just a good way for arguments and fights to break out, especially if it gets political. Maybe on a nice ride through the European countryside in a dining car or something, but not in the subway.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
The main issue here (digital vs. print) is folks looking at their screens all day are bending their neck down too far. In that position too long. That's not going to play well for the young folk when they get older.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
The main issue here (digital vs. print) is folks looking at their screens all day are bending their neck down too far. In that position too long. That's not going to play well for the young folk when they get older.

I was seeing a physio recently (apparently do to my incorrect posture, partly with regard to my new desk but driving as well), and she was saying that she sees a lot of tweens these days with problems relating to necks being bent down to far.

<makes effort to sit more upright and crane my neck forward less> :)

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
I would be in the same position but with a paperback novel instead. Thats just me though I guess.

BxgJ

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2015
I must admit I expected something entirely different after reading thread title....

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
To me it's not about "being antisocial" it is that people can't be "bored" for more than 2 seconds now a days. They always need to be doing "something" and 99.9% of the time that involves them looking at their cellphone, typically on some sort of social media bullshit to "brag" about what they are doing to a bunch of people who don't care but are also looking to "brag" about what they are doing to feel good about themselves.

I see people at stoplights ALL THE FUCKING TIME looking at their phones (and while driving but that is another story). What did these people do 10 years ago at stop lights before there were cell phones? Same with people waiting in line? While pumping gas?

I know one thing they didn't do - use Facebook. And don't get me wrong, if you are alone and want to do your own thing to pass the time, go for it. I took my son to a playground the other day and there were 3 like 12-13 year olds there, 1 of them a couple. When they left, the couple was holding hands. You know what was in their other hands? Their cellphones, and they were both just looking away from eachother, down at their other hand, looking at their phone while walking and not even communicating. I guess that is the futures of relationships.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Who cares? Don't concern yourself with what other people do. Go ride a bike or something.

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
When they left, the couple was holding hands. You know what was in their other hands? Their cellphones, and they were both just looking away from eachother, down at their other hand, looking at their phone while walking and not even communicating. I guess that is the futures of relationships.
They were probably communicating via Facebook Messenger :p

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Newspapers and phones / laptops / tablets keep spine doctors in business.

42ca8fb2d.png

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
It's better for people to be looking at their phones or in the past reading newspapers.

The people who think everyone should be talking to each other don't live in the real world, that's just a good way for arguments and fights to break out, especially if it gets political. Maybe on a nice ride through the European countryside in a dining car or something, but not in the subway.

Yeah, especially in that picture where everyone is reading a newspaper! There are probably a lot of people in that subway car getting fired up inside about their own biased interpretation of what they just read. I could see New York Times readers and New York Post readers coming to blows pretty quickly :)

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Who cares? Don't concern yourself with what other people do. Go ride a bike or something.

I love to ride my bike in the city. I'm not sure what that has to do with making observations about life in general. I think you need to make a run full speed into a wall and clear up that full of shit head of yours.

i-Ss3zqFt-L.jpg

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
I love to ride my bike in the city. I'm not sure what that has to do with making observations about life in general. I think you need to make a run full speed into a wall and clear up that full of shit head of yours.

i-Ss3zqFt-L.jpg
wrong. i'm good.

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
My wife and I were at breakfast last year and at the counter were about 8 older gentlemen. They were all just sitting there staring straight ahead. Not doing anything, just staring. It was kind of creepy actually.