UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The Sun is the same
In a relative way
But you're older.
And one day closer to death.
Been down so got damn long that it looks like up to me. - The Doors

I don't think the depressing song lyrics are doing you any favors right now. So no listening to Staind, The Cure, Seether, Pink Floyd, Alice In Chains, etc.

Maybe listen to some stuff with just a teeny bit more optimism in the lyrics.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
To say that each day is worse than the former is to compare one day to another. And you do this unconsciously based on some unexamined inner assumed standard of what you fancy is truth. Luck for you, you don't know anything or that you and the standard by which you compare is full of shit. This is actually the Garden of Eden. You just don't see it because you believe that thought is Knowledge. You bit the apple Bro, and now are lost in a world created by thought. And thought is time which creates the idea of days to compare. Stop thought, stop time. Have a glass of wine. It is the intoxication of Love that stops time.

Oh my Beloved, wherever I look it appears to be Thou. There is only love.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Been down so got damn long that it looks like up to me. - The Doors
Morrison stole that from Richard Farina:

It's a very good read. He was married to Joan Baez' sister, Mimi and IIRC died in a motorcycle accident on the way to... well, here's the internet scoop on it:

Richard Farina died in a motorcycle accident near Carmel on April 30, 1966, just following a party celebrating the publication of his first novel, “Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me.” A musician, songwriter, singer, and fabulist as well as a novelist, he seduced many people in life, and many in death.

Last edited:
Reactions: feralkid

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
There is no 'better'.
Having survived some very bad times I can confidently say that unless you are very seriously ill this is absolutely not true.

1. Look in my sig

2. These two songs:

"... but always remember, this is the happiest day of your life"

Last edited:
Reactions: JEDIYoda

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
If Yr Not by Ani DiFranco
Only vaguely recognized the name when I was dj'ing but I played a few of her more recent songs and she's good. That was a few years ago now though.
Indeed, the mystic path of surrender....................
Like most good aphorisms, it can have multiple meanings. I stole that one from the military but I studied Chinese Buddhism in college. It was always way beyond me. I'm on a new antidepressant and happily, I'm starting to see that.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
And only found half a worm.
Pretty close, the apple is what divides the world into things. When a squirrel enters my yard to eat of the olive tree, my cats start chittering and flicking their tails. Perhaps if you could focus like them you might experience only presence. There is no cat and squirrel, there is only awareness. Perhaps as a child you lay on the grass and experienced just being there? Nothing at all in the world has changed from then. Same sky same grass same potential to be there.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Only vaguely recognized the name when I was dj'ing but I played a few of her more recent songs and she's good. That was a few years ago now though.

Like most good aphorisms, it can have multiple meanings. I stole that one from the military but I studied Chinese Buddhism in college. It was always way beyond me. I'm on a new antidepressant and happily, I'm starting to see that.
Of course I imagine the world to be only as I know it which means I don't know much at all, but I am very hopeful that the more we understand the chemistry of conscious awareness the more we will be able to help people who suffer. I would like to believe that all kinds of mental despair have a psychological origin but I don't know enough to have any real idea. There may in fact be genetic components to the chemistry of the brain that cause depression and it is wonderful that already advances have been made to help out many many people. I thank Zen for introducing to me the notion that why I believed I suffered wasn't the real problem. It caused me to focus on my assumptions. What I discovered in one small instant when my focus shifted from deep introspection to external awareness was that my problem with the fact that life is meaningless is as meaningless as everything else. It has nothing to do with anything.

Reactions: Charmonium