Every dark cloud has a silver lining.......

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
WASHINGTON ? Illegal immigration, which has sparked political and social turmoil in communities across the nation, is on the wane, according to an independent report released Thursday.

The number of illegal immigrants entering the United States has slowed significantly the past few years, falling below the number of those entering the country legally for the first time in a decade, according to the report by the Pew Hispanic Center, a Washington think tank.

The report estimates there were 11.9 million illegal immigrants in the United States as of March. That would be a decline of 500,000 from the center?s estimate a year ago. However, the change was not statistically significant because of the large margins of error.

The Pew study does not address why the decrease occurred, but directors of ethnic community groups and officials of towns with large immigrant populations ? as well as other researchers ? cite stepped-up enforcement of immigration laws and the struggling economy.

"People are deciding that the risk of crossing the border ? something that has resulted in so many deaths ? and then of living here in fear of being arrested and deported, is maybe, these days, too high a price," said Tamara Morales, vice president of the Passaic-based Casa Puebla-NJ.

Morales and other community leaders in North Jersey say they have noticed more and more immigrants returning ? or seriously considering returning ? to their native countries.

Illegal immigrants are notoriously difficult to count. Many researchers, including the federal government, estimate there are about 12 million illegal immigrants in the country. That would a big increase from the start of the decade, when the Pew Hispanic Center estimated there were about 8.5 million.

Ed Durfee, a Northvale resident and member of United Patriots of America, a New Jersey-based organization that favors strict immigration policies, welcomed the news about declining illegal immigration.

"If you come here illegally and don?t do anything but take, then it?s a good thing if there?s less of them," Durfee said. "But we still have to tighten up our process so it?s not so easy to come here illegally and to stay here illegally."

Illegal immigrants make up about 30 percent of all immigrants, according to the report. Nationally, about four in five come from Latin America, with most coming from Mexico.

If a shitty economy does what the US government is unwilling or incapable of doing as far as illegal immigration....let the Dow drop like a rock.

Text

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Farang
I like Mexicans their food is good

The food is the best thing that's ever crossed the border...

There have been several stories in the local paper about this.
The first one talked about how Mexico doesn't know what to do with all the folks who are coming home...no jobs for them, no money to help them, etc.
Next was a story about how the money they send home is the #2 source of income for the country, right after their oil industry. With the US economy in the crapper, the amount being sent back to Mexico is WAY down and is causing economic woes in Mexico as well...

The US needs to implement a 50% tax on monies sent by Mexicans to Mexico...That ought to help our tax base a bit. :D

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Leave it to George Bush to ruin the country enough that Mexicans don't want to come. If McSame wins we'll see Gringos heading south of the border in four more years.

tfcmasta97

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2004
Originally posted by: Wheezer
If a shitty economy does what the US government is unwilling or incapable of doing as far as illegal immigration....let the Dow drop like a rock.

Lmao! is there a better possible example of a stupid redneck?

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Originally posted by: tfcmasta97

Stupid?....my home is fully paid for, so is my car, I have managed my bills enough that if I have to take a full time job making 8.00/hour I can without worrying about losing everything keeping the lights on, and food on the able and still get any toys that I want.....so yeah if you consider that kind of security "stupid"....guilty as charged.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Stupid?....my home is fully paid for, so is my car, I have managed my bills enough that if I have to take a full time job making 8.00/hour I can without worrying about losing everything keeping the lights on, and food on the able and still get any toys that I want.....so yeah if you consider that kind of security "stupid"....guilty as charged.
Yeah he mistook your ignorance for stupidity.

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

ignorant in what way?

let's hear some follow up.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
If America wants to return to greatness, it will open the floodgates to immigrants. I await a non-partisan analysis that demonstrates that even illegal immigration is a net plus to the U.S. economy.

Immigrants, even illegals, are good for the U.S. The popular attitude against illegals is just scapegoating.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

ignorant in what way?

Hoping the economy gets worse to fix the illegal immigrant problem isn't ignorant? OK, you've convinced me, it's just stupid.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
A lot of you computer engineering nerds worried about Illegal Immigrants crossing the border and doing your job for less?

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Good make building a fence across the boarder easier. We need to get on that fence ASAP and use the military to patrol the boarder. Then start to deport the illegals we have already. If they want to come legally great. To bad the democrats don't have the stones to stand up to the illegal problem. We will have 4 more years of illegals being a drain on the health care system.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
Originally posted by: shira
If America wants to return to greatness, it will open the floodgates to immigrants. I await a non-partisan analysis that demonstrates that even illegal immigration is a net plus to the U.S. economy.

Immigrants, even illegals, are good for the U.S. The popular attitude against illegals is just scapegoating.

Are you serious? Why are California and other border states in huge financial trouble? Because of all the hard working illegal immigrants who pay taxes and bring their money over the border with them? No I think its the reverse.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I don't think crashing the US economy is a good way to get rid of the illegals. I'd much rather see a booming US economy and strong border controls and an active anti-illegal immigration policy in place. I've always supported rounding up ALL the illegals, whether they've snuck across the border, overstayed a visa, or entered in a container off of a ship. Shouldn't matter where they're from; China, Mexico or Central America, Canada, Ireland, Middle East, or??? Send them ALL home and confiscate any real property as payment toward the costs of enforcement.
We DO need some type of "guest worker" plan to help the farmers with their crops however. Most folks don't want to do the kind of work that farmers need done, or at least don't want to do it for the wages the farmers want to pay.
Set up a defined plan, with a specific exit date, hold at least 50% of their wages in a non-interest earning account until they return to their native country.

With the economy of Mexico being worse than ours, I'm sure there would be a large pool of applicants ready and willing.

Each one needs to be carefully checked out to ensure none are criminals, (we already have a bumper crop of those) and monitored while they're here to make sure they:
(1) stay on the job they were hired for, (some provision could be made to allow them to change jobs, but only with careful oversight)
(2) don't engage in any illegal activities while they're here, (cause for immediate expulsion)
(3) make sure they leave when they're supposed to.

We need to lobby for an amendment (if need be) to the US Constitution to fix the "anchor baby" clause. Specifically word it so that children born in the US to illegal immigrants don't get automatic US citizenship. The children of LEGAL immigrants should only be granted citizenship if the parents request it. (perhaps they're only here visiting/working and don't plan to become citizens themselves...why make the child a US citizen if he/she isn't going to stay here?)

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: BoomerD
I don't think crashing the US economy is a good way to get rid of the illegals. I'd much rather see a booming US economy and strong border controls and an active anti-illegal immigration policy in place. I've always supported rounding up ALL the illegals, whether they've snuck across the border, overstayed a visa, or entered in a container off of a ship. Shouldn't matter where they're from; China, Mexico or Central America, Canada, Ireland, Middle East, or??? Send them ALL home and confiscate any real property as payment toward the costs of enforcement.
We DO need some type of "guest worker" plan to help the farmers with their crops however. Most folks don't want to do the kind of work that farmers need done, or at least don't want to do it for the wages the farmers want to pay.
Set up a defined plan, with a specific exit date, hold at least 50% of their wages in a non-interest earning account until they return to their native country.

With the economy of Mexico being worse than ours, I'm sure there would be a large pool of applicants ready and willing.

Each one needs to be carefully checked out to ensure none are criminals, (we already have a bumper crop of those) and monitored while they're here to make sure they:
(1) stay on the job they were hired for, (some provision could be made to allow them to change jobs, but only with careful oversight)
(2) don't engage in any illegal activities while they're here, (cause for immediate expulsion)

We need to lobby for an amendment (if need be) to the US Constitution to fix the "anchor baby" clause. Specifically word it so that children born in the US to illegal immigrants don't get automatic US citizenship. The children of LEGAL immigrants should only be granted citizenship if the parents request it. (perhaps they're only here visiting/working and don't plan to become citizens themselves...why make the child a US citizen if he/she isn't going to stay here?)
:thumbsup:

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
Anybody notice the problem with the original taint's post? The typical conservative argument against illegal immigration is that "it hurts the economy!" But OP says a bad economy is good to the extent it gets rid of them pesky messicans?

The entire illegal immigration argument is coded racism. At least O.P.A is honest about it.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005

wow, completely disagree, sounds like a form of slavery to me

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: LumbergTech

How so?

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002

Text

I travel to Mexico alot for the past 6 years for my job, so I know alot of them... Mexicans are kind, good, normal, family oriented people, and thier influence on our country will only be a positive one. The bad side is the way it is now, only the poor and destitute ones are coming over illegally, creating an abnormally unbalanced perception.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: LumbergTech

How do you find slavery in that?

No one is forcing them to come.

No one is preventing them from leaving.

They get paid for their labor.

Slavery not found.

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999

ignorant in what way?

Hoping the economy gets worse to fix the illegal immigrant problem isn't ignorant? OK, you've convinced me, it's just stupid.

no, I think if you re-read, what I wrote is this:

so there is an option.....lets have the politicians get off their asses and do something if they do nothing we continue to have an influx of illegals and we the people continue to suffer with the repercussions.

If they do nothing and the economy continues to slow we have to deal with less illegals but we're just a little poorer for a time.

The economy will come back...it's not an "if" question....it is a "when"and when it does, hopefully we'll be a little wiser with money as a whole.....although I doubt it.

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
Spend some time in a border state and it might change your mind.

Hospital Costs

This link is just about maternity costs, not other costs incurred in the emergency room for routine visits.

By the way, my "racist" Hispanic neighbor sent me this link awhile back.