everquest next cancelled

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
How is H1Z1 doing? If it's not going to be the next big, or at least stable, thing, then, what does Daybreak have to survive on now? If Pantheon were to actually reach launch, and turns out as the true EQ successor it seems to be, it could take away at least some of both the EQ Live players and some of the players who keep going back to each new Progression server.

I saw a recent stream the Pantheon devs made. Graphics-wise it doesn't look great (I know, it's pre-pre-pre-pre-alpha but still), but the gameplay looked solid, very reminiscent of EQ1, so I'm hoping they do finish it.

Zor Prime

Nov 7, 1999
I saw a recent stream the Pantheon devs made. Graphics-wise it doesn't look great (I know, it's pre-pre-pre-pre-alpha but still), but the gameplay looked solid, very reminiscent of EQ1, so I'm hoping they do finish it.

Speaking of which, here's the link to the replay if anyone wants to check it out.

I'm not concerned about the GFX at all, some of that stuff is Unity store assets just to get things in place so they can flesh out the systems they're working on.

The art assets are on their way down the pipeline. It does have 4K support, and Brad has shown multi-monitor support as well.

The gameplay DID look great, it looked so-very EQ1.

(note: I did pledge to the cause some time ago, and IMO, seems money well spent so far)

Last edited:

asteldian

Nov 25, 2013
Cannot say I am surprised, for about a year EQN has been referred to as Everquest Never. Fortunately for me, after the disappointment that was EQ2, EQN had no interest for me anyway. Vanguard for all its failings was a far more enjoyable successor.
I watched the stream of Pantheon and while it has a long way to go, I was real impressed. I thought graphically the environment was far superior to what I expected at such early phase - by the time many passes and lighting tweaks are done it will look fantastic. The only thing that looked like crap were the char models, but they are all place holders, so not really concerned there either. Will keep an eye on it, mainly because indie MMOs are the only chance of any MMO fitting my game play style - my preference is not mainstream enough for big companies to bother with.

Aug 29, 2015
The graphics actually look really nice if you look at the screenshots on the website (in the News section for some reason...). The video made it not look as nice, but I am sure it will end up great once they start focusing on the cosmetic stuff. The gameplay is a great start.

My only concern with Pantheon is that I didn't like the Vanguard combat. It had the best classes I have ever seen in a game, but the way the actual combat worked was really boring. Taunt was too overpowered, and so was healing and crowd control. So every group was just tank n spank and spam your 1234 routine and drool. It was made worse by them adding really overpowered gear over the years, but even at first (and in beta) it was too simple in how it worked.

But I still have hope because Everquest was not like that. It had simpler classes but the combat was actually quite advanced. It looks like they are going more in that direction with this game. If they can remake that type of game but with some new unique features, I'll be all over it.

As for EQ Next I was only ever disappointed in that anyway. It looked like a Disney Pixar movie which is the exact opposite of how I want a game to look, and the gameplay was even worse.

asteldian

Nov 25, 2013
The graphics actually look really nice if you look at the screenshots on the website (in the News section for some reason...). The video made it not look as nice, but I am sure it will end up great once they start focusing on the cosmetic stuff. The gameplay is a great start.

My only concern with Pantheon is that I didn't like the Vanguard combat. It had the best classes I have ever seen in a game, but the way the actual combat worked was really boring. Taunt was too overpowered, and so was healing and crowd control. So every group was just tank n spank and spam your 1234 routine and drool. It was made worse by them adding really overpowered gear over the years, but even at first (and in beta) it was too simple in how it worked.

But I still have hope because Everquest was not like that. It had simpler classes but the combat was actually quite advanced. It looks like they are going more in that direction with this game. If they can remake that type of game but with some new unique features, I'll be all over it.

As for EQ Next I was only ever disappointed in that anyway. It looked like a Disney Pixar movie which is the exact opposite of how I want a game to look, and the gameplay was even worse.

Yeah, I had limited interest in EQN due to my disappointment with EQ2, then as soon as I saw images for EQN I never bothered looking at it again - the graphical style was hideous to me an I knew I would not beable to deal with it.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005

I loved the feedback system on the sorceror(?) , with a healer in the party i was able to one shot myself eventually because my nukes would do so much dmg, it was a very interesting mechanic.

Aug 29, 2015
Yeah, I had limited interest in EQN due to my disappointment with EQ2, then as soon as I saw images for EQN I never bothered looking at it again - the graphical style was hideous to me an I knew I would not beable to deal with it.

Yeah :( I don't know what the hell they were smoking. When they first announced that they were going to make an EQ Next, there were some animations leaked on the internet and it looked amazing! It was very high end graphics, slick, realistic looking yet styled to look fantasy. Then they scrapped the whole thing and started again and it became a Pixar movie with MOBA combat. And now THAT is scrapped. SOE had serious issues.

I loved the feedback system on the sorceror(?) , with a healer in the party i was able to one shot myself eventually because my nukes would do so much dmg, it was a very interesting mechanic.
Yeah the classes in that game were the best I've ever seen, by far. I played most of them to 50. With the Bard you could make your own songs. You give the song a name and there are slots for song components - Melody, Verses, Chorus, Bridge, Lyrics, etc. And you choose which component to put in those slots, and it would boost various things for you and the group, like spell damage, or melee damage, or mana cost, or it would be a damage shield etc. It was so good, and the songs were in addition to all the usual abilities.

Sorc had amazing burst damage and AoE. Although the best burst damage was the Druid! They had quite good heals, quite good direct damage, and quite good dots. But they had these Phenomena points which slowly built up over time, and you could spend them on huge nukes / dots / heals. Most people saved them for emergencies or boss fights but you could use them sparingly all the time and still have enough left over emergencies.

I really hope Pantheon has great classes like that.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
EQN was headed in the right direction. MMOs sorely needed a way for players to make a meaningful impact on the world. Nearly all MMOs have static worlds that reset after the player takes action. EQN was trying to change that into a dynamic world that changed as players manipulated the environment. The world a player saw on day 1 would radically change as the game aged.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
EQN was headed in the right direction. MMOs sorely needed a way for players to make a meaningful impact on the world. Nearly all MMOs have static worlds that reset after the player takes action. EQN was trying to change that into a dynamic world that changed as players manipulated the environment. The world a player saw on day 1 would radically change as the game aged.

I did like some of the things I saw. On the other hand, there was a lot not to like, and I don't think they were listening to feedback.

Is Pantheon looking at having any open-world building?

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
I did like some of the things I saw. On the other hand, there was a lot not to like, and I don't think they were listening to feedback.

Is Pantheon looking at having any open-world building?

There's mention of building outposts and player-run dungeons, but no details on those features yet.

Last edited:

Peppered

Jul 3, 2009

I am tempted to donate or make a pledge but then It may be a waste of my money if they don't come threw.

What I like is the fact that you have a death penalty. To me that is what made Ever-quest 1 a better game. People seemed to group more say other than nercos and bards. This is before the later expansions.

The later game made it easy for most of the classes to solo with a merc and it be came another wow.

The addition of Planes of power seemed to be the down fall to me. No longer did you need a nerco to summon a corpse from deep in a dungeon or have to look high and low for a rez because most had a cleric bot just for that.

When it was a challenge just for group content it made it more fun because you had to work as a group and that made me feel like I accomplished more and it was not as boring as soloing.

If they can bring something back like EDQ 1 was at the start I would be very interested in it.