Ever wanted to try linux, but couldn't because M/S Office wasn't supported?

Cristatus

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2004
Codeweavers, the guys who've made Crossover Games, and Crossover Linux, are having a promotion in which they're handing out free software, with support included.

Crossover Linux lets you run programs like Microsoft Office, Lotus Notes, Dreamweaver, and Photoshop, amonst others.

The best things is, it runs on many popular distributions:
Ubuntu
Novell
Suse
Xandros
Mandriva
as well as others

The only downside? It's available starting tomorrow, for only 24 hours.

In the meantime, get a machine that you can install linux on, and try it out!

(C)

P.S.: check out this link as well:
http://www.codeweavers.com/abo...eneral/press/20081027/

mods: I know this probably belongs in Software and/or OS, but I think it's got a much wider audience here.

Dec 10, 2005
OO suffices for most of my needs. The few times I need Office specifically, I'll either run it through WINE (though, the equation editor doesn't work right, which is generally the only part I need). Otherwise, I'll just boot into my Windows installation.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Fallen Kell
I think someone never tried Open Office....

if he didnt have as many posts as he has, id swear it was spam.

still, good for codeweavers. i may try it. about the only time i bother loading a windows vm is to do homework that i have to turn in using an office 2007 format

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: xSauronx
Originally posted by: Fallen Kell
I think someone never tried Open Office....

if he didnt have as many posts as he has, id swear it was spam.

still, good for codeweavers. i may try it. about the only time i bother loading a windows vm is to do homework that i have to turn in using an office 2007 format

Same here. Also I have this stupid LC3 Simulator that I have to code OPCode and Assembly in where the Unix version is borked - so I need windows for that.

This looks interesting though - I'll have to check it out!

-Kevin

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Heh, maybe it's only a matter of time before crossover is fully free (maybe ad supported).
OpenOffice is sufficient for my purposes, I'd rather not pay for MS Office (besides that, virtualization will get you a 100% working MS Office, unlike crossover office).
Addtionally, WINE is free and more up to date than crossover anyway.

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Fox5
Heh, maybe it's only a matter of time before crossover is fully free (maybe ad supported).
OpenOffice is sufficient for my purposes, I'd rather not pay for MS Office (besides that, virtualization will get you a 100% working MS Office, unlike crossover office).
Addtionally, WINE is free and more up to date than crossover anyway.

So what was the point of you coming into, and crapping, this thread?

Installing and running a virtual machine takes up SIGNIFICANTLY more resources than a simple WINE or Crossover install would. Some users do not want to have to, essentially, start up, and wait for, another operating system just to type a word document.

WINE is free, but for yesterday Crossover was free also. It's based on WINE, yes, but it is a much more streamlined program than WINE. Additionally, given that Codeweavers supports this, the applications that ARE supported are guaranteed to work. (For instance, IIRC, Office doesn't work without a few tweaks in WINE).

-Kevin

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
Not only that, but setting up wine on my mac was a pain in the ass. This was a simple drag app to applications folder, use nice interface to install steam in a bottle. Run steam to play games.

dinkumthinkum

Jul 3, 2008
I use Linux so I don't have be bothered with crappy Microsoft products like Office and Word.

So, the answer is: No.