Ever Try To Invent A Consumer Product?

Nov 17, 2019
I have an idea for some thing that is not currently available ... new concept area. I think it's a great idea, but I'm not sure how many others would.

I know it will work, but getting it down to a simple easy to install, self contained package at a sub $20 price point is the main issue. Components are an LED, magnetic/reed switch and button type battery incorporated into a plastic disc plus the magnet to trigger the switch. Battery would have to be very small, watch or hearing aid size, yet able to power the LED for many hours in intermittent use. Might be off for longer periods than on. Also would have to be easily replaceable and readily available.

Making a simple prototype is easy, but making demonstration units that could be adapted to a marketable consumer version is something a company would need to develop and I don't have funds for that.

Those invention companies are all scams.

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Based on what I know, the best way to bring a product to market is to file a patent and wait for a Chinese company to steal it and put it on amazon using sub-par components and manufacturing techniques. If you want to make money off it, I've got nothing for you.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Designing something is easy, manufacturing is hard. The key is to try to think about manufacturing from the start, so you design the product in a way that is easy to automate. You can also outsource some parts of it. For example some companies like Hammond that make enclosures will customize them to your needs if you order enough from them, so that will save some steps in the manufacturing process. Ex: making the holes for various buttons, LEDs etc. You'd most likely outsource the PCB as well, and if you use SMD probably also outsource the soldering to the same company. (pick and place) Basically outsource some parts that are just not worth for you to make then you end up with a bunch of parts that you just need to assemble. You can setup jigs etc to make that part easier.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Your kitchen drawers / tool chest drawers / chest of drawers / toilet bowl too dim? I always figured using a capacitor instead of a battery would be better in those situations. Then charge it with the motion that disconnects the reed switch.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
If the idea is great as you say it is and making the prototype is easy as you say, then what's stopping you? The world is flush with cash so funding is easy. With venues like Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms, you really have no excuse when it comes to funding and finding companies to make it if your idea is any good.

Six

Feb 29, 2000
Not worth it for a sub $20 product. You'll be flooded out of the market in 3-6 months from cheaters with fake safety certifications and fake social media hype that redirects to their copycat that selling just a $1 above cost.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
When I was a kid, I called one of those invention kit places that had ads on TV, I had an idea for a car travel pillow with suction cups so it would attach to the window. I never finished filling out the kit.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Not worth it for a sub $20 product. You'll be flooded out of the market in 3-6 months from cheaters with fake safety certifications and fake social media hype that redirects to their copycat that selling just a $1 above cost.

2000 join-date & 523 posts.....?

Now THAT is a "lurker" to make us all proud !! ;)

Nov 17, 2019
Seems there is already a version out there. I don't really like that one, it's similar but not quite the same and it's priced at $90

Guess I'm not gonna make my millions today.