Ever pull an all-nighter to adjust your sleep schedule?

Flyback

Golden Member
Sep 20, 2006
Back around Christmas my sleep schedule got royally messed up. Since then I've tried just about everything to get it back on "track" (a 6 hour difference). Some methods I tried actually made it worse.

Nothing worked, so now I'm counting on exhaustion to make me go to sleep at an appropriate time ;)

(I'm a college student and that is why this managed to go so far and long... I just skip most lectures :eek::D Need to get it on track for upcoming assignments and exams, though.)

S Freud

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
You sound like me, my girlfriend is always preaching a proper sleep schedule to me. I tried the same thing but I just fell back into the old ways... the only thing I could do was go do bed at 3-4am like I was and then forcing myself to get up at 8 or 9am to go to lecture. Then I would be tired at the end of the day when it was time for bed.

Do you exercise at all?

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Quite often, actually. I have been diagnosed with primary insomnia, and I work nights. Every once in a while my dad needs me to travel to his house to work on the electrical wiring at the house, and I have to change over to days... The following day after that I pretty much have to go 36 hours without sleep to get back to what could be considered a sleep schedule.

Flyback

Golden Member
Sep 20, 2006
Originally posted by: S Freud
You sound like me, my girlfriend is always preaching a proper sleep schedule to me. I tried the same thing but I just fell back into the old ways... the only thing I could do was go do bed at 3-4am like I was and then forcing myself to get up at 8 or 9am to go to lecture. Then I would be tired at the end of the day when it was time for bed.

Do you exercise at all?

Yeah I exercise which makes it worse because it has thrown off my weight training schedule.

I tried to do the "go to bed at 3, wake up at 6" thing but somehow I always disassembled alarm clocks (took off battery panels) or threw them across the room, breaking them (did this a few times and don't recall it :p). Or I flat out do not recall even turning off the alarms (I have 3 of them; I put the alarms all far from the bed so I have to walk to turn them off. I'll put one in the closet on a shelf, one out in the hall, and one opposite corner of the bed--never recall turning em off whatsoever :D)

BTW I'm trying to get into a 9pm-5am sleep schedule. Right now I sleep from 3am-12pm typically.

AlgaeEater

May 9, 2006
Yes, often.

I also pull "Extremely early sleeping" at 8:00PM with the help of sleeping pills or what not sometimes to adjust my schedule. It all depends, since every week it seems my schedule (Personal and work) seem to fluctuate so wildly.

S Freud

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Maybe see a doctor? Although it seems like you're just going through what most of us college folks go through with sleep and schedules. I know exactly how you feel though. Missing lectures and falling behind no doubt :p

Do you have a roommate or someone that could wake you up and force you into a schedule? Otherwise what I do is take some sleeping pills to make me fall asleep the night before at a decent time and then wake up early.

Flyback

Golden Member
Sep 20, 2006
Maybe see a doctor? Although it seems like you're just going through what most of us college folks go through with sleep and schedules. I know exactly how you feel though. Missing lectures and falling behind no doubt :p

Do you have a roommate or someone that could wake you up and force you into a schedule? Otherwise what I do is take some sleeping pills to make me fall asleep the night before at a decent time and then wake up early.

No roommate. I'm confident I'll get start to get it on track tonight because I'll be so tired heh. It will take a week or two before it feels normal, I'm sure.

I don't want to sound like a prude but sleeping pills don't sound like a great idea to me.

No doctor necessary, either. It was some messed up stuff at x-mas that threw it off so much.. nothing else really.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Flyback

No roommate. I'm confident I'll get start to get it on track tonight because I'll be so tired heh. It will take a week or two before it feels normal, I'm sure.

I don't want to sound like a prude but sleeping pills don't sound like a great idea to me.

No doctor necessary, either. It was some messed up stuff at x-mas that threw it off so much.. nothing else really.

Tylenol PM is my friend.

habib89

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001
my schedule got all screwed up during my last semester at school.. i just slept in class...

however, when i got back from china, i was off by like 12 hours, so yeah, i just stayed up all night, and fixed it in a couple days..

TravisT

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2002
I am naturally a night-owl. But yet my body requires about 9 hours of sleep I think. Like lastnight, I went to bed at about 1:00AM, got up at 6:45AM. That is not enough sleep for me, by the time the weekend rolls around i'm tired, but still stay up until 2:00AM or 3:00AM... I just don't wake up until noon. :D

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Yeah I had the same problem as you.. I started going to bed at 4.. sleeping through class and waking up at 1-2ish.

then I stayed up really long and started going to bed at 5 in the afternoon.. too early.

So I pulled an all nighter. stayed away until 10:30.. went to sleep. woke up at 8 and I've been doing that for about 3 weeks now.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Flyback
Back around Christmas my sleep schedule got royally messed up. Since then I've tried just about everything to get it back on "track" (a 6 hour difference). Some methods I tried actually made it worse.

Nothing worked, so now I'm counting on exhaustion to make me go to sleep at an appropriate time ;)

(I'm a college student and that is why this managed to go so far and long... I just skip most lectures :eek::D Need to get it on track for upcoming assignments and exams, though.)

it works... just go to bed about 2-3 hours earlier than the time you want to schedule your normal sleep period.

So... I wanted to get my normal sleep period to begin at 9pm... I stayed up all night and then went to bed at 6pm... then the next day I was on my 9pm sleep schedule.

effowe

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
Yeah, I had to do that after I got out of school to adjust to the 9-5 schedule.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Lol. I'm currently on the 3am-11am schedule. I WAS on the 6am-2pm schedule as of yesterday. Then I went to the gym and did an hour of hardcore rowing. Gonna do that again today. Hopefully it'l snap me back the rest of the way for my Calc exam tomorrow :(