Ever had a phone interview? *update*

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
I got a job phone interview tomorrow for some IT position... how was your experience with it? any tips besides not answering incoming calls or telling them to hold on while i use the restroom?

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: jinduy
I got a job phone interview tomorrow for some IT position... how was your experience with it? any tips besides not answering incoming calls or telling them to hold on while i use the restroom?
I have had several and actually have one scheduled tomorrow and one Wednesday. Don't take any incoming calls, don't have anything around to distract you. Do not put them on hold.

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
Find common questions asked during interviews, write down the answers and keep them infront of you. Write down significant projects you have worked on, their details and everything, and keep that handy.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: TommyVercetti
Find common questions asked during interviews, write down the answers and keep them infront of you. Write down significant projects you have worked on, their details and everything, and keep that handy.
Common Questions Asked

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Saulbadguy
Don't flush the toilet while you are on the phone.

LOL, that reminds me. I work at a Help Desk and I was talking to some chick. I swear to you it sounded like she was doing her business on the can... :p

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002

i wouldn't think they can hear the flushing, but yeah i'll take your advise :)

ajpa123

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2003
Briefly look over their website and read the company focus/latest acheivements/products offered.. and write down any all questions that come to your mind. Near the end, the interviewer will ask you if you have any general questions.. that will be your time to shine.. according to the conversation, you can pick and choose questions that will make u look better.

Have the same resume right in front of you that he/she will be looking at.

Clear your desk, only have the resume and other important material on there.. Focus on the guys voice and questions.

Be relaxed, Try to smile when you talk.. it will make a big difference.

If you don't know the answer to a question.. don't umm your way thru it.. tell them confidently that you just don't know.. but tell them something that is related.. my point is, even tho you get it wrong.. you still continue the flow..

Never say UM.. or don't pause.

That's some decent advice i hope :D

Garion

Platinum Member
Apr 23, 2001
All good advice, especially the "know something about the company you are interviewing for." Something that almost ALWAYS happens is that they will ask if you have any questions for them somewhere around the end of the interview. Be sure to have something thought up, don't try to wing it. People are always impressed when interviewees ask an insightful question. It's a good way to wrap things up and leave a good impression. Some good ones I occasionally use are "Can you tell me about the team that I'd be working with?" or "Can you describe the overall structure of your IT organization?" "How does the company see IT - Is it a strategic asset or is it just an overhead expense?"

There's certain things that all managers like to hear, when you're talking about yourself. They want team players with leadership abilities, hard workers, people with broad backgrounds, people who are process and detail oriented, etc.

DON'T ask about benefits, salaries, etc. That comes later. A phone interview is usually just the foot in the door and a way to weed out obviously unsuitable candidates without taking the time to do a full in-person interview.

One last note - A favorite question is something to do with your strengths and weaknesses. When it comes to your weaknesses, throw a positive spin wherever you can.. Something like "I hate to say no to a problem that needs to be dealt with and sometimes I end up with more work than I would normally take on."

- G

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003

i wouldn't think they can hear the flushing, but yeah i'll take your advise :)

Trust me, they can hear. Especially if you have one of those "whoooooooooosh" toilets.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

yeah i had a few of them.

dont use the restoom. though I had the runs and had to do it once. i dont think they liked that.

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
well just got done with the phone interview... i got worked... asked me some technical questions about C and my work with it... i pretty much choked up as I was scrambling through my memory...

poopaskoopa

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2000
Yeah... A company put me through 3, 4 phone interviews. The job was more than 150 miles away. The last one lasting over an hour. I wanted to dig a hole, crawl into it, and commit seppuku out of shame after that one. I was supposedly passed over in favor of the other candidate because he could start right away, and I would have required a 2.5-wk notice, but who knows... I know I sucked that day. The only advice I can give you is to be prepared. I could've been more prepared. I knew that it was coming for more than a week, but I did nothing about it. I guess I didn't want to move.

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Originally posted by: OulOat
What were the questions?

give an example of using pointers in C... i coulda just said something simple like I used an integer pointer to point to some array... but nooo i spat out an example about this compiler lab i worked on over a year ago... I forgot much of the detail and choked up from there... they also asked me what were the toughest technical difficulties I encountered with C.
Lesson Learned:

I shoulda reviewed my old labs more.

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Originally posted by: poopaskoopa
Yeah... A company put me through 3, 4 phone interviews. The job was more than 150 miles away. The last one lasting over an hour. I wanted to dig a hole, crawl into it, and commit seppuku out of shame after that one. I was supposedly passed over in favor of the other candidate because he could start right away, and I would have required a 2.5-wk notice, but who knows... I know I sucked that day. The only advice I can give you is to be prepared. I could've been more prepared. I knew that it was coming for more than a week, but I did nothing about it. I guess I didn't want to move.

i felt the same... i feel like committing seppukku after making myself look like a fool

ski2slow

Jan 26, 2003
Yeah. Do some research on the company and particularly on the job you are interviewing. Be prepared to ask some questions as well. It is another way to show the interviewer that you know your stuff. And think about what you are going to say before your start talking.

I had a phone interview a few years back which has led to my current job. The interview lasted about 1.5 hours and met the interviewer about 1 month later.

Be cool.
:cool:

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
turn off call waiting.

The job i have now I was interviewed by the VP by phone. I thought it was interesting, she just asked the same standard HR questions. lets see if i can remember

what do i find difficult
what do i find easy
how would i rate myself at my last job

hummm thats all i can remember.

oh yea. do it naked!!!

*** Damn just saw that you posted it two days ago... sorry you didnt do well.

ajpa123

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2003
well just got done with the phone interview... i got worked... asked me some technical questions about C and my work with it... i pretty much choked up as I was scrambling through my memory...

Hey, i thought me and my crew were the only ones who used the phrase 'got worked' .. lol.. i love saying, 'i got worked hard' :)

Anywayz, there will be more interviews!
My interview had detailed questions on abstract methods, virtual classes, polymorphism and other general programming principles. I had to explain why using one thing over the other and which is more optimal. Pretty difficult for a new grad actually with no real experience.The only one i missed was about Java, which i haven't used in 2 years becuase i have been concentrating on .NET. They ended up hiring someone with more experience ! isn't that always the case..

Good Luck with your next interview!
It's difficult, but practice makes perfect !

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
my interview only had 2 questions:

How do you deal with angry end users?

(after i aced that question)
when can u start :)

OulOat

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
Originally posted by: ajpa123

Hey, i thought me and my crew were the only ones who used the phrase 'got worked' .. lol.. i love saying, 'i got worked hard' :)

Anywayz, there will be more interviews!
My interview had detailed questions on abstract methods, virtual classes, polymorphism and other general programming principles. I had to explain why using one thing over the other and which is more optimal. Pretty difficult for a new grad actually with no real experience.The only one i missed was about Java, which i haven't used in 2 years becuase i have been concentrating on .NET. They ended up hiring someone with more experience ! isn't that always the case..

Good Luck with your next interview!
It's difficult, but practice makes perfect !

What position were you applying for and what company?