Ever go back and watch a TV show you used to like...

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
I remember loving SeaQuest DSV when I was younger. For a long period of time (at least through season 2), I never missed a show. I noticed season 1 and 2 are available via Netflix's instant queue so I tossed them both in over the weekend and started watching from S1E1 hoping to wax nostalgic. I've done so with the A-Team, the original Battlestar Galactica, and a few others.

...I didn't even make it through episode 1.

This show is horrible! So much so that I didn't want to bother finishing the episode, let alone the season. A few other episodes looked just as terrible skipping through them. Was this show really that terrible? Was I just retarded or something? Now I'm almost afraid to queue up other shows to rewatch them, in the hopes that my youthful appreciation will be crushed :p

Am I the only one who's looked back and found a show they used to like only to realize how awful it was?

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Yes, it was! That's the point! Have you ever tried going back and re-watching it? :p

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
highlander and home improvement come to mind, used to love them both but i cant stand to watch either of them now.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: GeekDrew
Originally posted by: her209
Boy Meets World

Hey, I liked that one!

I had such a ridiculous crush on the older brother before he grew up and got all fat and bloated and ugly to the point where he can only do voice work nowadays.

to actually answer the question, though... the mid-90's live action Hercules. watched it all the time as a kid, but as an adult, I can't see past the corniness. same deal with the Legend of Zelda cartoon, which I MF'ing loved as a kid (it was a whole ritual... after school on Friday afternoons, my mom would go over to her twin sister's house, they'd get pizza and a bottle of wine, and my cousin and I would eat pizza and watch Zelda while they had got their Friday night drink on).

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Originally posted by: sandorski
Space 1999

I forgot about that one! :Q Spot on, too.

Also, there used to be a live-action Super Mario Brothers Super Show that I loved. That one's retarded too :brokenheart:

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
pretty much anything you watched as a kid is suspect, but thats how it is, its awesome when you saw it, but now if you go back its down right sad.
transformers the cartoon was pretty goddamned awful, the animation alone was piss poor, i was surprised how bad it looked. its amazing how nostalgia effects memory.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
I forgot to add that I caught an episode of the Wonder Years on one of them cable channels late one night and I didn't realize how bad the acting was on that show until then.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
I've done that with games, tv shows, and movies. How I could have liked that stuff I will never know.

venkman

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2007
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Cartoon
Perfect Strangers

on the flip side, two shows that still hold up very well:
Married with Children
ALF

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Nik
I remember loving SeaQuest DSV when I was younger. For a long period of time (at least through season 2), I never missed a show. I noticed season 1 and 2 are available via Netflix's instant queue so I tossed them both in over the weekend and started watching from S1E1 hoping to wax nostalgic. I've done so with the A-Team, the original Battlestar Galactica, and a few others.

...I didn't even make it through episode 1.

This show is horrible! So much so that I didn't want to bother finishing the episode, let alone the season. A few other episodes looked just as terrible skipping through them. Was this show really that terrible? Was I just retarded or something? Now I'm almost afraid to queue up other shows to rewatch them, in the hopes that my youthful appreciation will be crushed :p

Am I the only one who's looked back and found a show they used to like only to realize how awful it was?

Pretty much every show I ever watched as a kid fits that description. Then when I catch a rerun on cable I realize how mistaken I was. Full House, Saved By The Bell, Family Matters, Step By Step, Home Improvement (get it? cause they're improving their family as well as their house, hurr hurr hurr). I wish I could go back in time and kick my own ass.

But that's nothing compared the dreck kids are watching these days. iCarly is the highest rated cable television show. No seriously.

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: ribbon13
Checking...

Nope, Daria still kicks ass.

OMG when did you get back? Or have you always been back and I just never noticed? Interesting, how's the crack cooking? :D

Anyway, Perfect Strangers is a good one that seems just ridiculous to me now. There are others I'm sure but I can't think of them right, lots of cartoons I use to like seem lame to me now though.