Ever get a Kenwood to read a CD-RW?

zacadee

Oct 25, 1999
Has any one ever got a Kenwood 72X to read CD-RW's?
Does the latest firmware improve performance or enable
it to read CD-RW? We may need a new acronym...TIT (throw in trash)

zacadee

Oct 25, 1999
Sorry for the post.
I enabled Adaptec's UDF Reader and everything is cool now!

damac

Jul 16, 2000
I noticed this same thing and I have had this drive since it first came out. I think I have flashed it 2-3 times and its unreliable as hell with some stuff. a few games had known problems and it won't read my cdrw from my memorex burner without timing out and doing wierd stuff, but then I can read the disk fine in the burner.

It has been so damn long I think their are just some quirks with this unit. But luckily it hasn't really got in the way of me doing anything and its quiet. i haven't a clue if its actually fast though.

zacadee

Oct 25, 1999
damac,

Mine wouldn't read any CD-RW.
Have you installed the UDF Reader from Adaptec's website.
After installation mine now reads all media.
It is very quiet and rips audio at 28x.
I ripped 18 minutes of audio (4 songs)in 1 minute 20 seconds.
It really flies on data files like program installations.
It's reliable right now and I hope it stays that way.

okydoky

May 10, 2000
The UDF reader is only needed when you use Direct CD or any programs similar which treat the disks like floppies. If you use CD Creator, the UDF reader is not necessary. Be sure to install the reader in any computer that you intend on reading such disk.

Supergax

Aug 6, 2000
I have the Kendwood 72x drive and Win2k, and I dont' need the UDF Reader. I can even use DirectCD and then put the cd in the Kenwood and it reads it fine, no need for the UDF reader. I do have the newest firmware, version 226.

NoreagaCNN

Banned
Sep 28, 2000
Uh huh, no wonder i couldn't watch my VCD's, I guess i'll DL this Adaptec program and see if it'll fix it, 72X is great but it has some problems.

Thanks,
Nore