ever buy clothes for an event and then return them right after?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I know it's totally a girl thing, but I'm thinking about doing it for a wedding I have this week... I need a suit for the wedding, but I really have no need for a suit in my general life and I can't quite bring myself to spend ~$500 for something I'll wear once at a total sham of a wedding (they're not even married yet and I know for a fact that the groom is already cheating on the bride).

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
No, but I've meant to, and then either felt bad or forgotten to return it. Never a suit, though, those are useful enough to keep.

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
Originally posted by: loki8481
I know it's totally a girl thing, but I'm thinking about doing it for a wedding I have this week... I need a suit for the wedding, but I really have no need for a suit in my general life and I can't quite bring myself to spend ~$500 for something I'll wear once at a total sham of a wedding (they're not even married yet and I know for a fact that the groom is already cheating on the bride).

...rent a suit?

I bought tools the other day for a single task and returned them after. $30 worth of specific tools I'll never use again doesn't make sense to me.

I returned them in perfect shape, so they can still sell them new. I didn't even wreck the packaging!

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: mugs
Have you considered just wearing a nice shirt and tie?

that'd be the ideal, but my parents will be at the wedding and I'd never hear the end of it if I wasn't in a suit... though I'm strongly thinking about changing into jeans + nice shirt/tie/sports coat between the church and reception.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
If it's a sham, then why go in the first place? If you find a suit you just buy off the rack and return it, I don't see why not but I'd be suspicious of taking it back if I was the retailer. I'd definitely just do pants, dress shirt, sport coat (if needed), and a tie. Those you can always wear again and mix 'n match later on.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
just buy a freakin suit. you don't need to spend $500. I picked mine up for $300. I know there's someone here in a previous suit thread that laughed at that, but whatever, I wear it 2-3x a year, maybe.

Or, if you have a nice shirt and tie and pants, consider just getting a jacket somewhere maybe?

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
If you were to buy a suit and have it tailored, and then return it, they couldnt re-sell the suit as new.

You can buy a suit for less than $200.

Lots of people have done it, but it doesnt make it right.

Also as someone else pointed out, you could rent a suit.

Originally posted by: Scouzer

I bought tools the other day for a single task and returned them after. $30 worth of specific tools I'll never use again doesn't make sense to me.

I returned them in perfect shape, so they can still sell them new. I didn't even wreck the packaging!

They cant sell them as new, because you used them. No matter how "perfect shape" you think they are in, the fact remains that the tool is still used.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I went to an outdoor wedding yesterday and as I was told by my wife I needed an appropriate wardrobe for it, which I did not.

Camp Shirt $45 (never heard of any such thing)
Khaki pants $45
Boat shoes $75 (Famous Footwear the bastion of cheap shoes no less)

I spent more on my outfit than the wedding present. ($150) :(

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Squisher
I went to an outdoor wedding yesterday and as I was told by my wife I needed an appropriate wardrobe for it, which I did not.

Camp Shirt $45 (never heard of any such thing)
Khaki pants $45
Boat shoes $75 (Famous Footwear the bastion of cheap shoes no less)

I spent more on my outfit than the wedding present. ($150) :(

that's how weddings should be :p

I went to a wedding three weeks ago where the bride's primary request was "dress comfortable." right after the ceremony, even the bride and groom themselves changed into casual cloths (bride wore a sun dress, groom wore khakis and a t-shirt) and it was probably the most fun reception I've been to. it's a lot easier to have fun when you're not all stuffed inside a suit ;)

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
No... I don't want the next guy to be screwed with a used suit if the store thinks it's never been worn. Oh, and if it's a good store, they alter it for you, so that just about screws everything up.

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
Originally posted by: akshatp
If you were to buy a suit and have it tailored, and then return it, they couldnt re-sell the suit as new.

You can buy a suit for less than $200.

Lots of people have done it, but it doesnt make it right.

Also as someone else pointed out, you could rent a suit.

Originally posted by: Scouzer

They cant sell them as new, because you used them. No matter how "perfect shape" you think they are in, the fact remains that the tool is still used.

...maybe in utopia, but I'd be shocked if they didn't sell them new. Law/policies are ignored in many cases like this.

beguile

Oct 28, 2004
Never Ever! Wouldn't even think about it. I'm considerate of other people so I rather not even try. Would hate the feeling that I bought something that I "thought" was "new," when in actuality, someone used and returned it.