Ever been skiing before?

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
I'm not sure how it's possible i hadn't gone skiing until yesterday since i live in Alberta, where we have lots of hills & mountains nearby, not to mention it's winter half the year here, but anyway.

Buddy called me up & asked if i wanted to tag along, & i figured why the hell not try it.

Damn it was fun :D

He was snowboarding, but i figured i'd try skiing first...seemed a bit easier to start out with anyway.

I was pretty worried i'd kill myself, but it turned out i wasn't too bad.

Started out coasting down the bunny hills (easy ones), & quickly realized my only real issue was turning sharply & stopping fast, so i soon progressed to the higher ones.

So fun, & the speed, so exihilarating! :D

I wish i'd take more pics, but i was having too much fun racing down the hills to bother getting the camera out all the time :)

Y hallo thar! (this is the bunny hill i started out learning on)

Top of one of the steeper runs.
Lots of fun going down that one.

This was on a nearby local hill; not anywhere close to as awesome as in the mountains, but still great fun.

OhSnap688

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2006
You should try ski boarding. Sooo much fun. Snowboarding too, but I can't snowboard anymore :(

Feb 19, 2001
Yup. I skied as a kid.

Yesterday I went to Tahoe (Day 6 of this season), and I went boarding. It was my 2nd time trying to do jumps and I failed horribly once again. That shot my confidence in the morning. My first run was a normal mountain run and I felt so good. The falls from my jumps the next 5 runs totally shot me until I went back on the mountain again. I hit up a bunch of few black runs afterwards and I felt pretty damn good with the progress.

Anyways, keep it up. It's really fun.

I have video of me going down a green run but it's just so crowded I couldn't go fast. I started filming me going down a blue, but I'm a little afraid to go my normal carving speed with my $700 phone in my hand...

Sounds like you made tons of progress.

The very first time Iw ent boarding I spent most of the time on my butt. Maybe even the 2nd time.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: n7
I'm not sure how it's possible i hadn't gone skiing until yesterday since i live in Alberta, where we have lots of hills & mountains nearby, not to mention it's winter half the year here, but anyway.

Well to be honest, Alberta is no BC. :p

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Originally posted by: DLeRium
The very first time Iw ent boarding I spent most of the time on my butt. Maybe even the 2nd time.

Hah, snow boarding i want to try next time, but it seems a ton harder to avoid falling.

I fell enough as it was skiing lol...

Snowboarding i think i'd spent most of the time on my ass, but i'm sure it'd be great fun too.

Next time.

Originally posted by: homercles337
Originally posted by: n7

Well to be honest, Alberta is no BC. :p

True story :p

I love BC...would love to move there someday...just teh extra tax & higher cost of living make it a bit less appealing at this moment.

Granted, Edmonton's cost of living has gotten pretty rough with the oil industry people making the rest of us not involved with it feel very poor...

Jul 10, 2007
should've skipped the skiis and went straight for the snowboard. it's harder to learn but well worth the added effort (and pain).

neegotiator

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2006
Originally posted by: BlahBlahYouToo
should've skipped the skiis and went straight for the snowboard. it's harder to learn but well worth the added effort (and pain).

Agreed, most people I know who tried boarding after skiing find boarding alot more fun.

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: neegotiator
Originally posted by: BlahBlahYouToo

Agreed, most people I know who tried boarding after skiing find boarding alot more fun.

Yup, boarding owns skiing in my experience. Much steeper learning curve, though.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Now I want to go snowboarding after reading this. :( :D

I have a video of me doing a 720, and some front flips. I need to get it from my bro some time and post it.

dakels

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
Did you get any lessons? Once you learn how to comfortably and reliable turn and stop, you can go almost anywhere. Once you start getting better you gain the freedom to see and do more. The first time you take a gondola/lift to the top of a big mountain is one of those moments that stay with you forever.

My last ski trip was in Vail, CO. I live in the NYC area :( Everything within a short distance is overcrowded icey little hills.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
<--- Used to be in the Ski Patrol. If you would have killed yourself, I would have gotten the pleasure of pulling your broken carcass down the hill. Thankfully we have sleds for it :) I was a patroller for the VOSP.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Came back from Smuggs Notch a few days ago, 3 days of solid skiing. My knees are still gone :p.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Originally posted by: dakels
Did you get any lessons? Once you learn how to comfortably and reliable turn and stop, you can go almost anywhere. Once you start getting better you gain the freedom to see and do more. The first time you take a gondola/lift to the top of a big mountain is one of those moments that stay with you forever.

My last ski trip was in Vail, CO. I live in the NYC area :( Everything within a short distance is overcrowded icey little hills.

No lessons...buddy gave a few tips; got a few more from people as we sat in the gondolas going up.

Rabbit Hill (where we went) is converted to a biking park in the summer, so i'd been there before, but that was downhill biking :)

Being there for skiing was certainly different, but still extremely fun.

And yeah, my legs are sore...arms too from holding onto the ropes that pull you up, & the T-Bar for going up to one of the higher hills.

Riding the gondola is awesome though.