Even more bulk dog - introducing Jeeebus great dane #2

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Not sure I'm going to love cleaning up the yard after two dogs weighing in at around 350 lbs decide to salt the Earth with their poo.

Are we crazy? Certainly.

But how we could resist this little guy? Say hello to Cyrus, the newest addition (well, as of this coming Saturday) to the Jeeebus family.

halomoon31212232.jpg

morriganpupmadvert232.jpg

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
I knew a Dane once. The thing was a damn coward.

Our female, which is about 17 months old, refuses to bark when anyone comes to the door and knocks/rings the bell. If someone knocks on a door on the TV, however, she goes nuts and barks like a madwoman. Hopefully she'd figure it out if it actually mattered.

This is puppy's dad:

Walker7-3-11.jpg

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
I wish my sister's Great Dane was a coward. The thing is huge and it is really protective of her and her husband. a 160lb dog can be pretty intimidating.

Try meowing at it. Some aunt or another has a Dane that wont even look in my wife's direction across the room because she meowed at it years back.

I don't think I'd ever want a Dane, but there are good looking dogs in this thread. I wish we had a real yard, I want a lab or two. :'(

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
OMGIWANTIWANTIWANT!!!!!!!!!!

I miss having Danes in the house! I'm traveling too much between now and June to get another dog and I cannot WAIT to get settled and start looking for a new Dane. I'm going to work with the Dane rescues I think, because the puppy prices are a little rich for my blood and there are so many 8mo-2yr Danes that are being re-homed in Seattle area.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Try meowing at it. Some aunt or another has a Dane that wont even look in my wife's direction across the room because she meowed at it years back.

I don't think I'd ever want a Dane, but there are good looking dogs in this thread. I wish we had a real yard, I want a lab or two. :'(
We tried an electronic fence with our Dane once.

The instructions said dogs of her size should be on the level 8 zap. I figured I'd start low and work my way up, so I put it on 2.

She got up to the training flags and the collar beeped a warning. She looked up, confused, and got her first little zap.

She jumped about two feet in the air, high-tailed it into the house and hid on the couch. She pretty much never went near the flags ever again - we gave the collar to my parents because our dog never needed it. (And yes, I tested the zap on 2 setting and it wasn't really that bad... Danes are just big wussies.)

Side effect was that for months she would run away from cell phones, alarm clocks, people flicking their fingernails on a BIC pen... anything that even remotely resembled a beep.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Every Great Dane I have met seem to be friendly dogs, but their great failing IMHO, they suck as lap dogs. But in every great Dane is the instinct to be a lap dog.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Not sure I'm going to love cleaning up the yard after two dogs weighing in at around 350 lbs decide to salt the Earth with their poo.

thats both dogs right? 350 for one dog is one morbid obese dog even for a dane.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
So cute!

I really want a Great Dane. My only concern is if they are any good to run with. I want a pupper that will run with me. :hmm:

KT

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Every Great Dane I have met seem to be friendly dogs, but their great failing IMHO, they suck as lap dogs. But in every great Dane is the instinct to be a lap dog.

Not mine, he goes after males unless I have properly and slowly introduced him. Hell, he almost bit my dad over the weekend when he came over for a visit. Didn't have any issues with his wife.

And mine is a lapdog, well actually a backdog, because he will literally push between your legs until you are riding him. Then he just stands there with a 200 lb person on his back.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
So cute!

I really want a Great Dane. My only concern is if they are any good to run with. I want a pupper that will run with me. :hmm:

KT

if he's properly leash trained you will have no issues. In fact, he will probably do a slow to moderate trot while you run. If you want a faster trot or gallup, you will need a bike.