Eve Online - Please explain to a noob

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I tried eve (demo). I was really excited to play a Sci-fi based games as opposed to the tons of fantasy/magic/swords/wizards games out there. I was really excited too about the prospect of fights in space (with three dimensions).

However, eve falls flat on its face in that I didn't get the experience I wanted. Eve is not a space battle. Its an air battle. Utterly disappointing in how a game with so much attention to detail (mass, volume, cpu power, energy grids, missile this, etc) could so completely get the space battle wrong.

Eve space battle is more similar to an aerial dogfight than anything in space.

Why do ships have max speeds? (hello this is space no air resistance/gravity as long as the engine is supplying thrust I should be accelerating). And hello, why are these speeds so fricking low? Couple hundred meters a second max speed. Nice. The international space station orbits at 7,700 meters per second but all that these guys can do with their engines is a measly couple hundred (yes there are faster ships but the idea of a max speed of 400 m/s is absolutely stupid).

Why do ships slow down when no longer applying power?

Why do ships require the engines to be firing when not accelerating?

I could go on and on but for a game with so much attention to detail its immensely disappointing to see how eve doesn't follow basic laws of physics.

I'm going to sound like a fanboy but wut? It's a game, not NASA.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
I tried eve (demo). I was really excited to play a Sci-fi based games as opposed to the tons of fantasy/magic/swords/wizards games out there. I was really excited too about the prospect of fights in space (with three dimensions).

However, eve falls flat on its face in that I didn't get the experience I wanted. Eve is not a space battle. Its an air battle. Utterly disappointing in how a game with so much attention to detail (mass, volume, cpu power, energy grids, missile this, etc) could so completely get the space battle wrong.

Why do ships have max speeds? (hello this is space no air resistance/gravity as long as the engine is supplying thrust I should be accelerating). And hello, why are these speeds so fricking low? Couple hundred meters a second max speed. Nice. The international space station orbits at 7,700 meters per second but all that these guys can do with their engines is a measly couple hundred (yes there are faster ships but the idea of a max speed of 400 m/s is absolutely stupid).

I could go on and on but for a game with so much attention to detail its immensely disappointing to see how eve doesn't follow basic laws of physics.

This is where I'm hoping Star Citizen shines on.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
You will more than likely be let down then. Space games are designed in the manner they are for a reason.

Not only that, his definition of dogfight is misleading since Eve is sim based and not "point and shoot" based.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
They don't use realistic flight physics because it would be a lot harder to do, especially in a point and click game (it's point and click to support the vast number of players in the same world).

Star Citizen will be interesting to see. I'm basically playing EVE until SC comes out, then I'm done with EVE.

Enigmoid

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2012
They don't use realistic flight physics because it would be a lot harder to do, especially in a point and click game (it's point and click to support the vast number of players in the same world).

Star Citizen will be interesting to see. I'm basically playing EVE until SC comes out, then I'm done with EVE.

I know and realize that its just that the game was designed to show space battle and strategy and you don't get anything like that.

Star Citizen looks very interesting.

Oct 25, 2006

Its called a game, and Eve isn't a space sim.

Space Sim games would not work in the context of Eve. Because if they did, all battles would take place at 100,000,000 KM and be over in a heartbeat. Amazing fun there.

The physics model actually uses a fluid dynamics engine.

I know and realize that its just that the game was designed to show space battle and strategy and you don't get anything like that.

Star Citizen looks very interesting.

You get space battles, and you get strategy.

Unless you think for some reason space battles will look like mass effect with a thousand ships running at each other WW1 style.

Strategy comes with the player or groups of players. Just because YOU don't see it happening, doesn't mean it isn't happening.

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
I once had a char named Santa Pod. Every Christmas I would roam 0.0 yelling Merry Christmas to everyone. I never once got attacked, even by enemies.

The community isn't ALL bad.

awesome!

i will have an alt called Santa Hunter and every Xmas will roam 0.0 yelling "Where is Santa Pod!" and we end up in the wild goose chase.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I've got a weird question. I'm mining, minding my own business in 0.7 space, when some guy comes up and kills me. No police, no nothing. I look on my Kill Rights page, and this guy has kill rights against me and it says "Cost: 500,000 ISK". What does this mean? Why is this jerk allowed to just kill me with no retribution?

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I've got a weird question. I'm mining, minding my own business in 0.7 space, when some guy comes up and kills me. No police, no nothing. I look on my Kill Rights page, and this guy has kill rights against me and it says "Cost: 500,000 ISK". What does this mean? Why is this jerk allowed to just kill me with no retribution?

Did he do the container swap on you where you are tricked into taking something out of a container you didn't own? IIRC they get kill rights on you for that. Used to be pretty common.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Did he do the container swap on you where you are tricked into taking something out of a container you didn't own? IIRC they get kill rights on you for that. Used to be pretty common.

Hmm... Probably. I did open a blue container, which I thought was a free-for-all. It's weird though, because I guess he did it days ago, but I just got notification today.

Really weird. He seems upset, because he's constantly passing along my kill rights. I figured he was gaming the system.