EVAP : Emission Control Vault Fault ?? What the Heck is that?

Krueger81

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2000
Hello,

I drove the car the other day and it completely turned off on me as I was coming to a stop at the Stop light. I started the car and the check engine light came on. I went to autozone today and they checked it.

Came up as EVAP: Emission Control Vault Fault. I have no Clue what that means.

It's a 2001 Chevy Impala with no warranty left on it. Will this be expensive? or is it just something I can replace by myself?

Phil

tontod

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Yes, the gas cap loose can cause the check engine light to come on. One time it came on for me, and right after I tightened the cap, the check engine light was extinguished.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
yes. obd-ii monitors pressure in the gas tank, and if the gas cap is loose it notices and tells you to fix it. :)

if it's missing/loose it may take a while for the code to go away

masterxfob

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
if it's not the gas cap, it could be an O2 sensor. if it's not that, then you've got a problem. there's most likely a leak somewhere in your system and there's no easy way to find it. your best bet is to take it to a smog station and have them find the problem. it'll probably cost $150 just to find the problem then the repairs on top of that.

don't take it to a dealership, they'll just take your money. i had a similar problem and the dealership told me they had to replace a part, it ended up costing me $400 (part + labor) and i still had the problem. took it to a smog station and they fixed the problem, also passed smog :)