Evangelical leaders planning sit-down with Trump over Stormy Daniels

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
They certainly want others to live by their professed beliefs, and will continue to push for it.

Muslims want to blow people up or cut their heads off if they don't convert so I guess you are right. Atheists don't want people saying "Merry Christmas".

Perhaps you might allow that there are people in each group which don't want those things. Some do. Unfortunately, too many- far too many Evangelicals deserve the scorn they get. Not all, but most. I'm talking about a minority.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Muslims want to blow people up or cut their heads off if they don't convert so I guess you are right. Atheists don't want people saying "Merry Christmas".

Perhaps you might allow that there are people in each group which don't want those things. Some do. Unfortunately, too many- far too many Evangelicals deserve the scorn they get. Not all, but most. I'm talking about a minority.
If the minority repsects separation of church and state, then no problems from me.

Atheists I know don't have a problem with merry Christmas, it's groups that don't want to respect others beliefs and understand that "merry Christmas" doesn't apply to everyone that cause a problem. But the war on Christmas gets viewers and inspires outrage....so rage on.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
If the minority repsects separation of church and state, then no problems from me.

Atheists I know don't have a problem with merry Christmas, it's groups that don't want to respect others beliefs and understand that "merry Christmas" doesn't apply to everyone that cause a problem. But the war on Christmas gets viewers and inspires outrage....so rage on.

I had someone give me grief about Merry Christmas. I allowed that not everyone was like her. If people want to rage about something like merry Christmas, so be it. Those who are religious are entitled to vote. They may run for office, but if they do then they have to switch hats. If they can't then don't run.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I had someone give me grief about Merry Christmas. I allowed that not everyone was like her. If people want to rage about something like merry Christmas, so be it. Those who are religious are entitled to vote. They may run for office, but if they do then they have to switch hats. If they can't then don't run.
Except, they do....and they don't switch hats. I'm sure you are astutute enough to see this.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Right, but think about the millions of evengelicals who don't, won't, and actually cheer it on.

They get the scorn they deserve. They don't follow Christ's teachings, they don't believe in the America they say they love and they select a demon as a demigod, the return of Christ to them, at least politically.

Not a fan.

Reactions: Puffnstuff

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
They get the scorn they deserve. They don't follow Christ's teachings, they don't believe in the America they say they love and they select a demon as a demigod, the return of Christ to them, at least politically.

Not a fan.
*shrug* millions dont care what you or I think. They want their Christian nation with their Christian ideals applied to all.

I have family of this mindset. I believe many Christians were swayed into voting for Trump based on falsehoods, and Pence was the spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down.

Last edited:

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
*shrug* millions dont care what you or I think. They want their Christian nation with their Christian ideals applied to all.

I have family of this mindset.

I don't care that they don't care. If I can't change their thinking there are many millions more that don't think as they do. You've identified a problem. OK, Japanese style prison camps? In their individual states I can't do a damn thing but once national shit gets real that's another matter. We had an impact in Alabama of all places with Moore, by supporting his opposition. That's likely the most effective approach.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I don't care that they don't care. If I can't change their thinking there are many millions more that don't think as they do. You've identified a problem. OK, Japanese style prison camps? In their individual states I can't do a damn thing but once national shit gets real that's another matter. We had an impact in Alabama of all places with Moore, by supporting his opposition. That's likely the most effective approach.
I dont disagree. Keeping it factual and front page is the best approach. Also, moderates who dont support such extremists can be more vocal....just as I would ask of Islamic moderates who dont agree with extremists tactics.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I dont disagree. Keeping it factual and front page is the best approach. Also, moderates who dont support such extremists can be more vocal....just as I would ask of Islamic moderates who dont agree with extremists tactics.

Yep. We've spun out of control but we're likely to take a fair bit of that back by year's end, perhaps before. The opposition will just have to deal with it.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
In the future then these pious evangelicals get on their high horse about morals of any candidate the only response are two names

Roy Moore
Donald Trump

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
In the future then these pious evangelicals get on their high horse about morals of any candidate the only response are two names

Roy Moore
Donald Trump
We stuck a fork in Moore. More than Evangelicals voted for Trump and his end is in the tea leaves. Evangelicals can rant all they like, but their leaders are going down. I doubt the Reps are going to crush the Dems come November.

The main thing now is to figure out how to strongarm McConnell before Trump can act assuming that's possible.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I wouldn't be so sure about that just yet.

Nothing is certain but at this point the Reps in power are bailing and believe they are headed out of the leadership in at least one part of Congress. If Trump acts against Mueller directly or by replacing Rosenstein then I cannot foresee a miracle that will save them.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Nothing is certain but at this point the Reps in power are bailing and believe they are headed out of the leadership in at least one part of Congress. If Trump acts against Mueller directly or by replacing Rosenstein then I cannot foresee a miracle that will save them.
Trump has proven time and again that his base doesn't care, ergo they will vote republican. Unless he is impeached/resigns/etc he will likely have the support, and anyway I think people have been conditioned to stick with their "own" party, to hell with actual policy.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Trump has proven time and again that his base doesn't care, ergo they will vote republican. Unless he is impeached/resigns/etc he will likely have the support, and anyway I think people have been conditioned to stick with their "own" party, to hell with actual policy.

The low end of support for Mueller's investigation is 55%, and that's Republicans who aren't all fond of Trump. Many are having to leave office due to his poisoning the parties, the Dems will all vote their way as you say, but many Independents are ready to hang Trump in effigy, and they too support Mueller by a substantially greater margin than Republicans.

Now those people greatly outnumber Trump's minions, and they seem motivated enough to turn out in November. Loudness doesn't count on Election Day, only voting.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Alright learn a lot from reading your posts. Thanks, and keep them coming.
You're welcome. Christians love to believe with their feels, and perform heroic feats of mental gymnastics to protect their narrow world view.

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
You're welcome. Christians love to believe with their feels, and perform heroic feats of mental gymnastics to protect their narrow world view.
Never mind that typo. What do you reckon. Are people stupid because they're religious, or religious because they're stupid? Would you say haya seems a little defensive?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Never mind that typo. What do you reckon. Are people stupid because they're religious, or religious because they're stupid? Would you say haya seems a little defensive?
I'd say it's a bit of both, but I don't care to generalize so much about the reasoning behind the choice to follow a religion, blindly or not.

Haya didn't seem defensive, he wants to differentiate the evangelicals who love Cheeto Jesus, and those who actually adhere to a scriptual version of faith and apply it to an American ideological setting...where all are free to believe what they like, as long as it doesn't affect the rights of another.