Evaluate this situation with our recent washer purchase

BradT

Jul 17, 2007
Situation: A local appliance store came in to install a new washer to replace our old one. The old one was having several problems, and it was very difficult to use. We paid for the washer and for the installation of the machine. They also guaranteed that they would start a washing cycle with it before they left. The two workers put it in our house and tried to install it, but they couldn't because one of our hoses was outdated and wouldn't fit. They removed our old washer, and brought it out to be disposed. We were very dissatisfied and called the business's office. After a long phone call, they said that they would arrange to have one of their handymen come to our house sometime this week to fix it. They also said that we would have to pay for his services. This caused more confusion on our part because the services that we were going to pay for with him were the same that we thought we had already paid for with the initial purchase. So now we have no washer since the old one that hardly worked is in the dump. The company refuses to give an inch because they said that we were very "deceptive." However, they never asked about or looked at our house beforehand. We never knew that our house would be incompatible.

Did they neglect to fulfill their end of the deal? Should we have to pay to have one of their handymen come and fix it?

It really sucks not having a washer...

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
yeah that sounds bad. i would call and bitch. if nothing else pay it and take them to small claims.

SpunkyJones

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2004
Cancel payment, put the washer on the curb, tell them to pick it up quickly before some one else does, and then go to Sears and get a Kenmore.

BradT

Jul 17, 2007
Originally posted by: waggy
yeah that sounds bad. i would call and bitch. if nothing else pay it and take them to small claims.

I really don't think that I would want to get into that.

Do you guys think that there is anything else that we could do?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: BradT

then tell them to come pick up the unit and call your credit card and have them stop payment.

or take it in the ass and stop complaining.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: BradT

then tell them to come pick up the unit and call your credit card and have them stop payment.

or take it in the ass and stop complaining.

agreed

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: SpunkyJones
Cancel payment, put the washer on the curb, tell them to pick it up quickly before some one else does, and then go to Sears and get a Kenmore.

Don't put it on the curb until your money is back in the bank. Definitely cancel everything though.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Am I understanding this correctly?

1) You didn't have a proper hose.
2) You can get a hose for a few dollars and have a perfectly good washer.

You are mad, complaining about a problem, washerless and running out of clean close all over a ~$10 hose?

Go to a store, buy a hose, hook it up and move on with your life.

drnickriviera

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
Yes, need more information. What is it about the hose that is wrong and what is it going to take to fix it? They're just delivery guys, not master plumbers.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
I would call them and tell them if they aren't there to correctly install it, that you are going to dispute the charges with your credit card since installation was part of the deal.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: dullard
Am I understanding this correctly?

1) You didn't have a proper hose.
2) You can get a hose for a few dollars and have a perfectly good washer.

You are mad, complaining about a problem, washerless and running out of clean close all over a ~$10 hose?

Go to a store, buy a hose, hook it up and move on with your life.

That is true. I didn't consider that replacing the hose might be a cheap and easy solution. If it is cheap then just do that and stop complaining. If it is too expensive then return your washer and get a compatible washer.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: drnickriviera
Yes, need more information. What is it about the hose that is wrong and what is it going to take to fix it? They're just delivery guys, not master plumbers.

They aren't just delivery guys. They said they would install it. That means they should be bringing out new hoses that will work with the washer(they all come with new hoses anyway). Totally not the OP's fault to know what kind of hoses work with what kind of washer. The delivery folks should have come out, assessed the situation, dropped off the washer, and gone back to get the tools/parts they needed for the job. They do this every day so its nothing new for them.

If you say you will install the item and the purchase includes installation, then you come out and install the damn washer where the old one was.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: slag

They aren't just delivery guys. They said they would install it. That means they should be bringing out new hoses that will work with the washer(they all come with new hoses anyway). Totally not the OP's fault to know what kind of hoses work with what kind of washer. The delivery folks should have come out, assessed the situation, dropped off the washer, and gone back to get the tools/parts they needed for the job. They do this every day so its nothing new for them.

If you say you will install the item and the purchase includes installation, then you come out and install the damn washer where the old one was.

when i purchased a new washer/dryer i had to make sure i had the correct hose. That is not part of installation.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
This is a washing machine, not a dishwasher. Finish installing it yourself. Power cable, 2 hoses, and your done. Whats the problem?

imported_Baloo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2006
They are right. But as some have pointed out, it's an easy fix. It's going to cost them more to drive out there than to replace you hose.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx
This is a washing machine, not a dishwasher. Finish installing it yourself. Power cable, 2 hoses, and your done. Whats the problem?
Without a drain hose in your list, there would be BIG problem. ;)

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

when i purchased a new washer/dryer i had to make sure i had the correct hose. That is not part of installation.

The hoses come with washing machines when you purchase the machine. The drain hose and both fill hoses for hot/cold water...

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
Suprisingly this is very common. With new washer installs typically the technicians are told to just take out the old washer and hookup the new one, no additional work outside of that. That means if you have the wrong wiring or hoses or attachments they typically do not consider this part of the installation and want you to take care of it yourself. Same thing happened when my mom got a new washer. The guy ended up doing the work for her but she did have to pay extra.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001

The hoses come with washing machines when you purchase the machine. The drain hose and both fill hoses for hot/cold water...

Perhaps the connections to the water lines were wrong at the house, not the washer.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: jandrews
Suprisingly this is very common. With new washer installs typically the technicians are told to just take out the old washer and hookup the new one, no additional work outside of that. That means if you have the wrong wiring or hoses or attachments they typically do not consider this part of the installation and want you to take care of it yourself. Same thing happened when my mom got a new washer. The guy ended up doing the work for her but she did have to pay extra.

Thats not really an install. An install consists of levelling the washer, ensuring all connections are hooked up, running a test load to make sure it functions, etc. Simply pulling the old one out and pushing the new one in the old ones place.. well, thats not an install.... thats just lame.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: jandrews
Imagine the world if it were different. I can build a house with no plumbing and no electricity. Then all I have to do is buy a $300 washer and they will come over and install ALL of the plumbing and electricity for free! I could save tens of thousands of dollars! Heck, they'll even have to pay my water and electricity hook up fees since they aren't activated yet. And, it'll all happen in one trip!

Those guarantees and installation contracts all have conditions. This falls nicely in the category of the guy who sued for millions of dollars over a missing pair of pants. A guarantee doesn't include unreasonable conditions.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: dullard
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx
Without a drain hose in your list, there would be BIG problem. ;)

:eek:

Oh yeah, that too

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I'm blanking out here... I thought hoses for washers were pretty standard for at least the past 30 years, probably longer. It's almost like saying "I bought a garden hose, and it doesn't connect to the tap on the side of my house."

The old one was having several problems, and it was very difficult to use.
Not sure what the OP means, but if the washer was too complicated to use, perhaps connecting a new hose himself may be out of his league?? I had an old boss would couldn't put a nail in to hang a picture, much less attempt to connect a few hoses.

But, still, I'm at a loss to give advice as to an easier fix. The only thing I can think of is that the water outlets for the washer aren't really the correct size - "for a washer." i.e. maybe the connection in the house is the same as you'd connect a sink to. The OP would probably have to run to Home Depot to get a couple of brass bushings at Home Depot in order to make them the correct size (plus some pipe tape) (At a cost of about $3 each.) But, given the way he described the problem, that might be beyond his technical ability.

BradT: a lot of people here can help: Take a picture of where the hoses connect in your house. Post a link for us. For what it's worth, the company probably asked you if you had normal washer connections in your house. You don't. Thus, you didn't intend to be "deceptive", you were just plain wrong because you didn't know better.

But, there's no sense escalating your problem.

/me has million dollar idea!

markgm

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2001
I'm with DrPizza. Everything on a washer is standard. If you can't operate your old washer, or it somehow was confusing you, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're at fault for whatever is wrong.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: DrPizza
I'm blanking out here... I thought hoses for washers were pretty standard for at least the past 30 years, probably longer. It's almost like saying "I bought a garden hose, and it doesn't connect to the tap on the side of my house."

The old one was having several problems, and it was very difficult to use.
Not sure what the OP means, but if the washer was too complicated to use, perhaps connecting a new hose himself may be out of his league?? I had an old boss would couldn't put a nail in to hang a picture, much less attempt to connect a few hoses.

But, still, I'm at a loss to give advice as to an easier fix. The only thing I can think of is that the water outlets for the washer aren't really the correct size - "for a washer." i.e. maybe the connection in the house is the same as you'd connect a sink to. The OP would probably have to run to Home Depot to get a couple of brass bushings at Home Depot in order to make them the correct size (plus some pipe tape) (At a cost of about $3 each.) But, given the way he described the problem, that might be beyond his technical ability.

BradT: a lot of people here can help: Take a picture of where the hoses connect in your house. Post a link for us. For what it's worth, the company probably asked you if you had normal washer connections in your house. You don't. Thus, you didn't intend to be "deceptive", you were just plain wrong because you didn't know better.

But, there's no sense escalating your problem.

/me has million dollar idea!

you are right! the hose hooks ups are standard. its the power cords that are sometimes diffrent