Europeans hate George W Bush

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Deudalus
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Originally posted by: Robor
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
This is a universal theme I've noticed here during the last 2 weeks in 2 different countries.

Just an FYI :p

I had the same reaction when I was in the Philippines. I think GWB is pretty much universally hated.

I got the same reaction in Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam. You tell someone you're an American and they look at you distrustfully, then you tell them 'don't worry, I hate Bush too', and they are all smiles. That man is quite simply loathed by nearly the entire world.

It's funny that only about 30% of people in America like him, and that's pretty much his high point.

Not that I doubt you, but could you have picked a worse example?

Do I really need to give a run down of the horrible shit that the people living in those 3 countries have to deal with on a daily basis?

I mean seriously, that's like a Kia salesman telling you that your car is a piece of shit.
What's bad though is that the KIA Salesman, or in this case, those people who live in those run down POS countries are 100% right.

Deudalus

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2005
K here we go........

1: They live under a communist government which means automatically that you have to take their opinions with a grain of salt simply because they do not know what they think. They do not have access to a wide range of information like we do. It is highly like that they simply swallow what the party feeds them.

If you do not believe this is true watch the Discovery NY Times television special "inside North Korea" and see how a communist state really works.

2: Bear in mind this is in a country with somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 the population of the US.

They have 1 phone line for every 8 people.
They have 65 AM radio stations, we have near 5,000.
They have 7 FM stations, we have almost 9,000.
They have 67 TV stations, which includes 61 relay, provincial, and city TV stations), we have well over 2,000.
One in 7 people in Vietnam have access to the internet, 2 out of every 3 Americans have access to the internet.

So really, what information do they have access to to reach their opinion? Just because someone gives the answer you want doesn't mean they are enlightened.

Did you ask them why Bush is so bad? Did they give you specific examples of what he has done that pissed them off so royally?

Or did they just do what they have always been trained to do under Commie rule which is spit out the answer they think you want?

Deudalus

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
What's bad though is that the KIA Salesman, or in this case, those people who live in those run down POS countries are 100% right.

I would agree, but that doesn't mean that they have the slightest fucking clue what they are talking about.

You could go randomly asking dogs is Bush good or bad; bark twice for yes and once for no and get about as well thought out and reasoned answers as a bunch of people living half way around the world in a commie controlled state.

So a group of people with little to no access to outside information that isn't controlled by government minders gives you the answer you wanted, so what?

Does that make these people enlightened? Are these people so intelligent that they are going to go out and invent things to solve the energy crisis?

Hell I'm surprised no one has chimed in yet saying they shook the Magic 8 Ball and it returned the answer "it is most certainly so" and they aren't now proclaiming its amazing truth telling abilities from the rooftops.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
K here we go........

1: They live under a communist government which means automatically that you have to take their opinions with a grain of salt simply because they do not know what they think. They do not have access to a wide range of information like we do. It is highly like that they simply swallow what the party feeds them.

If you do not believe this is true watch the Discovery NY Times television special "inside North Korea" and see how a communist state really works.

2: Bear in mind this is in a country with somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 the population of the US.

They have 1 phone line for every 8 people.
They have 65 AM radio stations, we have near 5,000.
They have 7 FM stations, we have almost 9,000.
They have 67 TV stations, which includes 61 relay, provincial, and city TV stations), we have well over 2,000.
One in 7 people in Vietnam have access to the internet, 2 out of every 3 Americans have access to the internet.

So really, what information do they have access to to reach their opinion? Just because someone gives the answer you want doesn't mean they are enlightened.

Did you ask them why Bush is so bad? Did they give you specific examples of what he has done that pissed them off so royally?

Or did they just do what they have always been trained to do under Commie rule which is spit out the answer they think you want?

The overriding answer the world over is that Bush is disliked because of his foreign policy. Shockingly enough other people in the world don't like it when a superpower bullies and invades other countries. This isn't rocket science.

Have you ever been to Vietnam? I'm guessing no. If you did you would never ever try to compare it to North Korea. I'm sorry man, but it appears you are making sweeping judgments about a country you obviously don't know much about. I honestly don't even know where to start.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

I would agree, but that doesn't mean that they have the slightest fucking clue what they are talking about.

You could go randomly asking dogs is Bush good or bad; bark twice for yes and once for no and get about as well thought out and reasoned answers as a bunch of people living half way around the world in a commie controlled state.

So a group of people with little to no access to outside information that isn't controlled by government minders gives you the answer you wanted, so what?

Does that make these people enlightened? Are these people so intelligent that they are going to go out and invent things to solve the energy crisis?

Hell I'm surprised no one has chimed in yet saying they shook the Magic 8 Ball and it returned the answer "it is most certainly so" and they aren't now proclaiming its amazing truth telling abilities from the rooftops.
So you agree that they are right about Bush being a terrible President then you go on to attack them for believing so, weird.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
1) Most of America hates Bush too.

2) Yes, roughly 51% of our voters in 2004 were idiots. The other 49% are wondering the same thing.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

So you agree that they are right about Bush being a terrible President then you go on to attack them for believing so, weird.

I think he just has a caricatured idea as to what life in Vietnam is like.

Deudalus

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2005

I think he just has a caricatured idea as to what life in Vietnam is like.

I have a very real idea of what communist regimes are like. I studied them quite a lot in college and have an interest in them in general.

Do you not?

Let me put it to you another way, I know jack shit about physics much less astro-physics.

We sit around and discuss politics like scientists sit around discuss physics. What if some physicist came to New Orleans and asked me if I thought quarks, black holes, dark matter, and all these other fun things existed and I "smiled and said yes" and that was an answer he agreed with....

What do you think the odds are of him propping up any of his theories in his scientists circles based on my dumb assed opinion?

My whole point Eskimoguy is that for you to come to the thread and say "OMG LOL the peeps in Thailand, Vietnam, and Cambodia think Bush sucks too!" isn't going to win over too many people which is a very simple fact that the DNC and liberals in general can't seem to get through their heads.

Independents like myself aren't going to vote for (or against) someone, something, or feel a certain way because Europe, The Dixie Chicks, Michael Stipe, The Boss, Mellencamp, Hollywood, Green Day, or even random villagers in Thailand, Cambodia, or Vietnam think that we should.

Do you not realize that when you tell the average person "Look even this worthless random person think this way why don't you?" that you are more apt to have them loathe you and what you stand for rather than join your cause?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I have a very real idea of what communist regimes are like. I studied them quite a lot in college and have an interest in them in general.

Do you not?

Let me put it to you another way, I know jack shit about physics much less astro-physics.

We sit around and discuss politics like scientists sit around discuss physics. What if some physicist came to New Orleans and asked me if I thought quarks, black holes, dark matter, and all these other fun things existed and I "smiled and said yes" and that was an answer he agreed with....

What do you think the odds are of him propping up any of his theories in his scientists circles based on my dumb assed opinion?

My whole point Eskimoguy is that for you to come to the thread and say "OMG LOL the peeps in Thailand, Vietnam, and Cambodia think Bush too!" isn't going to win over too many people which is a very simple fact that the DNC and liberals in general can't seem to get through their heads.

Independents like myself aren't going to vote for (or against) someone, something, or feel a certain way because Europe, The Dixie Chicks, Michael Stipe, The Boss, Mellencamp, Hollywood, Green Day, or even random villagers in Thailand, Cambodia, or Vietnam think that we should.

Do you not realize that when you tell the average person "Look even this worthless random person think this way why don't you?" that you are more apt to have them loathe you and what you stand for rather than join your cause?

So your answer is no. You are trying to tell someone who very recently visited a country what the people there are like because at some point in the nebulous past you studied 'communist regimes'. Do you know how stupid that sounds?

Not only that, but you're totally jumping to conclusions again. I never said that you should vote based on what people in Thailand or anywhere else thought. The entire OP was just someone's observation that Europeans hate Bush, and so I mentioned that Southeast Asians hate him too. Nobody asked you to vote one way or the other based on what they said, I certainly didn't. I couldn't care less how you vote.

Your attempt to discount their positions is based on the incredibly ignorant assumption that because of a repressive regime that people in the country are incapable of having an informed opinion. This is simply not true in Vietnam, particularly in the cities where access to outside information is widely available. If anything you are simply showing that having free access to information also does not guarantee an informed opinion.

You are simply ignorant. I don't buy your professions of independence, and your arguments in this thread have been off topic, incoherent, and flat out wrong. You are embarrassing yourself.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Originally posted by: fleshconsumed
Originally posted by: Engineer
Originally posted by: ultimatebob
It's still OK to hate the French, right... with their 30 hour work weeks, universal health care, and hatred of California wine? Bunch of lazy cheese eating surrender monkeys!

Don't forget their 4 week vacations...

I thought it was 6 week vacations. Hell, I get 4.6 weeks here in the US.

Actually you're right I think. Quick google says 30 days which comes out to 6 weeks of government mandated vacation. In US it's zero. You're better off than many with 4.6 weeks, unless that number includes sick time off and holidays.

Yeah.. don't most French people get off the entire month of August as a national vacation of sorts?

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
GWB screwed up so badly that in a few years it will be hard to find anyone who will admit to having voted for him. Just like Nixon-who won in a landslide.

Text

ChunkiMunki

Dec 21, 2001
we've also had a lazy and complacent Congress to rubber stamp all those good programs, continues today, don't want to appear unpatriotic.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Most of the world hates Bush, but many (if not most) Europeans tend to hate any non-Europeans. Supremacy is still widespread throughout the continent. Actually if you think about it, many Europeans would probably embrace Bush if he were their leader. They just don't support him as the leader of a mongrel nation (how they view the US).

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
europe history of f*cking the world long and hard is well...long and hard.
never mind the obvious ww1 ww2 which would take ten thousand years of bush f*ckups to match.

WTF has any of that got to do with present times? Never mind genius, just keep calling an entire continent morons :roll:

So let me get this straight. You have no problem with the premise of this thread, which is all of Europe thinking all Americans are morons. However, when the sentiment is turned around, you whine like a three year old girl.

That's cute.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper
europe history of f*cking the world long and hard is well...long and hard.
never mind the obvious ww1 ww2 which would take ten thousand years of bush f*ckups to match.

WTF has any of that got to do with present times? Never mind genius, just keep calling an entire continent morons :roll:

That has EVERYTHING to do with present times. Much of the situation of the world is due to European worldwide destruction.

Stop denying history! It's disgusting. This is just another form of holocaust denial. Europeans make the Japanese look knowledgeable in their historical actions.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I mean seriously, that's like a Kia salesman telling you that your car is a piece of shit.

Our stripper Chevy Chevette President IS a piece of shit.

He leaks oil all over the electorate.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
It's still OK to hate the French, right... with their 30 hour work weeks, universal health care, and hatred of California wine? Bunch of lazy cheese eating surrender monkeys!

As much as you want to sound sarcastic with that statement, it's actually spot on the absolute truth.

Since when did Europe do anything right anyway?

Taejin

Moderator<br>Love & Relationships
Aug 29, 2004
Originally posted by: dawp
Originally posted by: zoiks
europes full of morons so who cares. worlds still paying the price of their colonialism adventures.

You mean like the US occupying Iraq?

which was f*cked up by the past meddling of the europeans actually.

We aren't completely innocent ya know. we did prop up Saddam during the 80s.

don't forget we toppled the moderate leader in Iran cause he wasn't lockstep with our policies..now look at the leaders there.

Taejin

Moderator<br>Love & Relationships
Aug 29, 2004

Do you not?

My whole point Eskimoguy is that for you to come to the thread and say "OMG LOL the peeps in Thailand, Vietnam, and Cambodia think Bush too!" isn't going to win over too many people which is a very simple fact that the DNC and liberals in general can't seem to get through their heads.

So your answer is no. You are trying to tell someone who very recently visited a country what the people there are like because at some point in the nebulous past you studied 'communist regimes'. Do you know how stupid that sounds?

Not only that, but you're totally jumping to conclusions again. I never said that you should vote based on what people in Thailand or anywhere else thought. The entire OP was just someone's observation that Europeans hate Bush, and so I mentioned that Southeast Asians hate him too. Nobody asked you to vote one way or the other based on what they said, I certainly didn't. I couldn't care less how you vote.

Your attempt to discount their positions is based on the incredibly ignorant assumption that because of a repressive regime that people in the country are incapable of having an informed opinion. This is simply not true in Vietnam, particularly in the cities where access to outside information is widely available. If anything you are simply showing that having free access to information also does not guarantee an informed opinion.

You are simply ignorant. I don't buy your professions of independence, and your arguments in this thread have been off topic, incoherent, and flat out wrong. You are embarrassing yourself.

lol completely owned. I've been reading the entire thread and I keep getting WTF? moments every time Deudalus posts =p.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Engineer

Don't forget their 4 week vacations...

I thought it was 6 week vacations. Hell, I get 4.6 weeks here in the US.

Actually you're right I think. Quick google says 30 days which comes out to 6 weeks of government mandated vacation. In US it's zero. You're better off than many with 4.6 weeks, unless that number includes sick time off and holidays.

Yeah.. don't most French people get off the entire month of August as a national vacation of sorts?

Same in Italy.

Deudalus

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2005

No, but the whole point of the thread was because a liberal wanted to point out how other people think and why we should care.

I personally do not base any of my opinions on how others think, do you?

The tie to people living under communist rule is very simple because they are not allowed to think. They think how their party thinks, they vote how their party votes. Why do you think that in Vietnam they basically have a one party system in which all but a dozen or so of the 500 elected representatives are members of the state run communist party.

You really think we should care what they think about our government?

Now you are getting it, you don't believe what I am telling you and you don't care what I think.

I'm happy you are starting to catch on. Now if only that streak of non-conformism would transfer to the Vietnamese, Cambodians, and such maybe you could really be a free thinker.

The ironic thing is that so many liberals are so worried about what others think of us and what we do. The only people that I have met (and it totally sucked btw) that are so caught up in what others think is hardcore southern christians.

They are obsessed with what other people think of them. That's why they dress their best to go to church, drive their fanciest car, hell my 85 year old grandma with a metal knee spends 3 hours getting ready to go to church.

Ironic that you guys are so different yet have sooooo much in common.

Deudalus

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Taejin
lol completely owned. I've been reading the entire thread and I keep getting WTF? moments every time Deudalus posts =p.

OMG LOL thanks for contributing.

Deudalus

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2005
Also before you retort with the argument that I should care what others think because what I'm doing might be bad or hurtful to them I would like to point out to you that that isn't necessary either.

Just as you don't have to go to church to have a good "moral compass" so to speak which non-church goers so often say and is 100% accurate.

You don't need to seek others approval and point of view to do the right things either.

So next time you form an opinion you don't need to ask yourself "What Would Jesus Do?" nor should you ask "What Would Comrade Ho Chi Minh Do?" either.

Just form your own damn opinion and if its so flimsy that a trip to Southeast Asia helps to prop it up then you are probably hopeless anyways.