Europe and America ...

anton

Banned
Sep 15, 2000
I was just thinking, could you, Americans, explain(understand) why most europeans hate you ?

b/c you say that you keep "peace" and "freedom" in the whole world ... so everybody must like you... isn't it so ?

thanks.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Actually, I believe there is a lot of jealousy between Europe and the US. A lot of it has to do with the fact that the United States is the richest country in the world. We are an industrialized giant that plays a major part in world trade. Unfortunately, a lot of propaganda and past feelings of hatred toward the United States has also built up due to fingers that we've stepped on in the past as a result of the wars the US has participated in. All countries are different and there are always going to be differences and grudges of some sort held between them. If Europe has a problem with the States, they need to grow up and get over it. That's what Peace is about...forgetting the past and thinking about the future.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
I think that a lot of the European hatred towards the U.S. is overblown and mostly resides in the minds/hearts of the cultural elite over there. I spent some time travelling all over Europe in 1993 and I have to say that 99% of the people I met were very kind towards Americans. In fact the only bad experience I had was with a POS Frenchman that was going off on me, telling me how Americans were rude, had no culture, etc...I let him finish his rant then simply said "that may be so but if it weren't for us you'd be speaking German right now." Seriously thought the dude was going to have a coronary after I said that. In my travels I found the Germans, Swiss, and English to be the most welcoming. The Austrians were also nice, as were the people I met in Amsterdam and all over Italy.

Cosmo

Nov 23, 1999
funny exchange I overheard once when trekking in patagonia.
this american (US) guy asks a canadian guy why he has a canadian flag on his backpack. "Anyone who speaks to you will just think of you as american anyways". To which the canadian answers "Thats why".
I'd thought that was pretty damn funny.

I would also like to add that most of the americans I have met in the US and elsewhere have been pretty good people. The problem is usually that you're a little igonorant about things that are not american and that you seem somewhat uninterested in learning about other cultures. I know this is generalizing, but it's my impression from traveling and backpacking that among the english speaking people aussies, brits and canadians are easier to get together with because they are more interested in people who are different from themselves.

B00ne

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
I am from europe too and I do not hate Americans at all. They have some really nice "attributes" like easy going, mostly friendly, and they certainly know how to party. Off course there are the stereotypes that are more often than not met by them, like: being quite well I wouldnt say dumb but maybe ignorant is a good word for it and having often a totally wrong perception of history. But that is forgivable and usually makes for a good laugh on their behalf.
I think the "hatred" comes from the fact that they rule the world. They didnt conquer it by war just through maximizing their economical and political power wherever possible. It also comes from Europe being economically dependent on the states much more than the other way around.
One big thing that added fuel to the fire is the cold war attitude of the new government. Being militaristic in times like these and always looking for new enemies like they cant live without one (China). Another biggie here in Germany is the perceived complete lack of environmental awareness of the american society. Beeing already the most inefficient in the use of energy and not trying to change that but rather doing the opposite is just not understood here.

Not all of this is necessarily my opinion rather my view of the situation
Another note, after spending a year in the states (92, KY) i found myself getting more opposed to the States - that is not the ppl but their politics.

Locutus of Board

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 1999
What about the fact that America in more recent times kept Europe from speaking Russian?

Now that's the fact jack.

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001

<< Another note, after spending a year in the states (92, KY) i found myself getting more opposed to the States - that is not the ppl but their politics. >>

Heh, you're not the only one on this, trust me.

CrazyHelloDeli

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2001

<< The problem is usually that you're a little igonorant about things that are not american and that you seem somewhat uninterested in learning about other cultures. I know this is generalizing, but it's my impression from traveling and backpacking that among the english speaking people aussies, brits and canadians are easier to get together with because they are more interested in people who are different from themselves. >>

The united states is THE single most multi-cultured nation on the planet. After all, thats why we are known as &quot;The Melting Pot&quot; of the world, is it not? And possibly why Americans seem &quot;Less interested&quot; in other cultures on a person to person basis is simply beacause its such an every day occurance to deal with people from every nation on earth and from every walk of life. Its seen as normalcy here in the US as opposed an exception.

Dually

Golden Member
Dec 20, 2000
I don't think most Europeans hate us at all, the ones that do are just really vocal.

B00ne

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
He Locutus to make a post on your level
what about the fact that Europe (Asia too) is keeping America from turning totally stupid by supplying you with fresh brain...

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001

<< He Locutus to make a post on your level
what about the fact that Europe (Asia too) is keeping America from turning totally stupid by supplying you with fresh brain...
>>

Well all Americans have to come from somewhere, do they not?

WELCOME TO AMERICA!

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000

<< I was just thinking, could you, Americans, explain(understand) why most europeans hate you ? >>

I sense this has something to do with the bumb american stereotype.....

<< b/c you say that you keep &quot;peace&quot; and &quot;freedom&quot; in the whole world ... so everybody must like you... isn't it so ? >>

Also, when did we, Americans, become unified in thinking that we

<< keep &quot;peace&quot; and &quot;freedom&quot; in the whole world ... so everybody must like us..&quot; >>

? I don't ever recall saying that, nor did anyone ever ask me if they could put words in my mouth.

nateholtrop

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
everyone hates us because we beak up all their little wars....you know that peacekeeper mission that we have is a beotch to keep.

nate

B00ne

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
He deli you might be right about the many cultures but i experienced that most of these different cultures keep to themselfes so the only uniting thing is the american culture that every american has/adopts

CrazyHelloDeli

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2001
Oh and addressing the topic, I believe the so called &quot;Mass Hatred&quot; twords the US that CNN and the BBC portray are nothing but falicies conjured up by dunderhead network execs trying to make stories out of nothing. I mean, how boreing would Bushes last trip to Europe have been if everyone went perfect. The media harps on negatives(such as the protesters in europe) because reporting otherwsie wouldnt draw as many veiwers. You dont see Wolf Blitzer saying &quot;President Bush made a speech in Europe, and everyone sat quietly and listened politly, and clapped when he finished&quot;.

B00ne

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
sometimes u &quot;break&quot; them up sometimes u start them
breaking them up u do if it is economically important to u otherwise u dont give a f*ck

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Oh who the hell cares what some Euros think anyway? The ones that hate us can hate us all they want but in the end they know they owe their continued free existance to the U.S.

Hey Europe... The U.S. 0Wz j00!!!!

B00ne

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
deli:
in this case I dont know about that I think Clintons was the best president u had since maybe kennedy But this Bush guy...
First I thaught he is pure evil its kinda toned down now just think he is the most stupid person ur ppl could pick and the irony is they didnt even pick him - but i guess everyone gets what he deserves
dont worry politics(-icians) here suck big time too

Capn

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2000
I think it has to do with the fact that Europe practically ran the show around the globe for ~500 years and now they are second fiddle to a country that is neither as &quot;cultured&quot; or &quot;refined&quot; as they are.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

<< in this case I dont know about that I think Clintons was the best president u had since maybe kennedy >>

Oh you have to be kidding...neither of them was worth a damn.

B00ne

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
I wonder how u get to this conclusion at least Kennedy helped to save the world in the cuban missile crisis if my history is correct - could very well be wrong tho
Clinton made America shine in the 90's but all that crumbled to dust with the Cowboy
funny carricature

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
I wonder how u get to this conclusion at least Kennedy helped to save the world in the cuban missile crisis if my history is correct - could very well be wrong tho
JFK was President drung the Cuban Missle Crises. Yes handled it well but what else did he do really?

Clinton made America shine in the 90's
The only thing Clinton made shine was Monica's blue dress. He was an incredibly laizze-faire President when it came to the economy.

<< but all that crumbled to dust with the Cowboy >>

Bush has been President since Jan 20th of this year. The economy was beginning to tank this time last year. How exactly it he responsible for that?

Capn

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2000
crumbled to dust? whatever dude, go back to your wurst buddy, politics aren't for you.