Europa Universalis IV

acheron

Diamond Member
May 27, 2008
This is a thing now. Anyone getting it?

I always want to like Paradox games more than I actually do. Crusader Kings 2 came close but I still couldn't quite connect with it. I have hopes for EU4 from what I've read about it, but I'm probably still going to wait for a price cut.

el-Capitan

Apr 24, 2012
I am very very interested and I will eventually get it. My brother is a big EU fan and a first day buyer, but I'll hold off until a deal and until bugs are ironed out. By backlog is too great anyway....

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I bought it. Too much of a fan of EUIII to not be suckered into preordering it. I've only played it a tiny bit, but it seemed solid so far. I can't say it'd make someone who's on edge about paradox games fall in love though (I just don't know).

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
It looks interesting, and I love strategy games, but I just couldn't ever get into the really hardcore strategy games with encyclopedias of information. Seemed like more work than play.

But, since this has as demo, I will give it a try eventually, once I've worked my way through my summer sale backlog.

el-Capitan

Apr 24, 2012
I thought that EUIII was very, very complex and difficult. I spent many hours learning it, but never really go the feeling that I fully understood... Also, performance was poor and there appeared to be a very good number of bugs.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I'm a Paradox fan boy since the original Europa Universlis way back when. I haven't been too happy though with their games as of late until CK2 came around and proved to be a cut above the rest but still I kinda felt like the gameplay got boring too quick. I still bought EUIV and just installed it now and hope to play some today.

xXx orange

Jun 30, 2013
I think it is just me but I found Total War took longer for me to leanr then EU. I learnt EU in about 14 hours while Total War took me at least 100 before I could actually win a campaign. I was a lot younger then though hahaha. I might get this when it goes cheaper but I have already preordered Rome 2 so I don't think I need another RTS.

Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008
I really want to like these games but I just can't. They sound like a lot of fun, but the actual gameplay just bores me to death.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
I'm a pretty hardcore Paradox fan.

From the "bigger name" games like EU and CKII, to lesser known titles like Victoria 2, Hearts of Iron, Pride of Nations, and others.

It's hard to play a great Paradox game like EU, and then go back to ridiculously simple stuff like Civilization 5. The diplomacy model ALONE, frankly, killed Civ for me. It's a joke. The way the AI acts, and the diplomatic options given to you, are pathetic compared to a decent Paradox game.

That being said, these games are very buggy at launch. That's my biggest gripe with them. I would wait at LEAST until an official patch comes out, and then of course the inevitable add-on/DLCs to seriously address any glaring issues.

I hate getting 20-30 hours into a strategy game, only to realize at hour 31 that there's some bug in the campaign that means the AI is cheating or it's impossible to win for some reason or whatever.

So I'll be waiting a few weeks on this one I think.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
That being said, these games are very buggy at launch. That's my biggest gripe with them. I would wait at LEAST until an official patch comes out, and then of course the inevitable add-on/DLCs to seriously address any glaring issues.

I hate getting 20-30 hours into a strategy game, only to realize at hour 31 that there's some bug in the campaign that means the AI is cheating or it's impossible to win for some reason or whatever.

So I'll be waiting a few weeks on this one I think.

CK2 was actually very bug free for a Paradox release. And their new way of releasing DLC/add on is that everyone gets the content that changes core game mechanics but doesn't get things like the new factions to play. For example, CK2's The Old Gods introduced playing the Vikings as well as changes to the technology system. In older games like HoI2 and EU3, you'd have to purchase the expansion to get all the benefits. But I haven't bought TOG yet and the technology system is the new and improved version from the expansion. I just can't play as the Vikings until I spend the $10.

I played a bit of the demo last night. Seems a lot like EU3, but with the CK2 graphics engine. The technology system is a lot more developed and fleshed out. Rather than just a ubiquitous number that represents a level and certain units/buildings unlocking at certain levels, you actually have general areas of technology you can research with unique benefits.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
So I played my first game of EU4 last night as Castille.

I am pretty surprised how much they changed, there has not been such a major change in the core design of the game in any of the previous releases. The trade system is a completely new concept and so is the technology. I have to say I really like the changes.

The interface works really well and it's really aesthetically pleasing just like the CK2 interface.

One change I was not happy with was they seemed to change the rules about annexing. I declared war on Grenada intending to conquer their crappy little sub-nation but it turned out Grenada was allied with Morocco, Algiers and Tunis.

No biggie I figured since my fleet will easily control the Mediterranean denying them any access to the Iberian peninsula so I casually siege Grenada provinces and am ready to annex the nation like in the old games.

Nope, not allowed. I cannot sue for separate peace with Grenada even though I completely conquered them, I have to negotiate with the entire alliance. So now I need to go invade North Africa ? Ack...

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Only played a little of 3, and none since any of the expansions. So guess I can start now and then move over to 4 when most of the expansions for it are out and the bugs at a minimum. :)

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
I played brief bit of EU4 yesterday. I really like it so far. Haven't seen any obvious bugs but I'm certain they will appear in time. The base game on the surface is very similar to EU3, however they updated the game with all of the graphical enhancements from CK2 and also new gameplay elements, some of which were borrowed from CK2.

In my opinion it's worth going from EU3 to EU4 for the graphics alone. I hope EU: Rome gets a similar treatment.

Last edited:

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
as usual with paradox games, it took me around 20 hours to REALLY understand CK2, then I dumped around 100 extra hours into it :)

I'm unfortunately going to wait on EU4 to go down in price, so maybe holiday 2013 or summer sale 2014 :(

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
One change I was not happy with was they seemed to change the rules about annexing. I declared war on Grenada intending to conquer their crappy little sub-nation but it turned out Grenada was allied with Morocco, Algiers and Tunis.

No biggie I figured since my fleet will easily control the Mediterranean denying them any access to the Iberian peninsula so I casually siege Grenada provinces and am ready to annex the nation like in the old games.

Nope, not allowed. I cannot sue for separate peace with Grenada even though I completely conquered them, I have to negotiate with the entire alliance. So now I need to go invade North Africa ? Ack...

I thought this was the case with EU3 as well? That you have to negotiate with the whole alliance? Maybe after the addons? I got it after Divine Wind. I'm playing as Castille as well, and sieging Granada so I should find this out soon..

I've only played a few hours, but so far the game is really great. I put many hours into EU3 and CK2 and I'm sure I'll do the same with EU4. Don't think I could go back to 3 now. Any strategy fan should play it.