- wars between European nations
- hyperinflation
- total collapse of the EU economy

the coins

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: gingermeggs
It'll be the most traded currency inside of the next ten, when the pound goes.

I think most countries will keep a balance of Euros and USDs in their reserves.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The USD is going down thats for sure, just like the Pound, the Gulf countries are now forming their own currency so they can stop having their own currencies connected to the USD like most of the countries there have at the moment. That will mean one thing, oil will not be traded in USD but rather in this new currency or the Euro.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Only two of those coins could I look at and identify the country immediately, Germany and Ireland (possibly Italy). That's how you should design coins, all those other ones with pictures of royalty etc suck.

Why do even the redesigned US bills and coins seem so much more boring than most other countries currency?

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Czar
The USD is going down thats for sure, just like the Pound, the Gulf countries are now forming their own currency so they can stop having their own currencies connected to the USD like most of the countries there have at the moment. That will mean one thing, oil will not be traded in USD but rather in this new currency or the Euro.

I don't think Saudi Arabia will ever let the switch to the Euro happen.

And as for a common "Gulf" currency. Do you think those countries could ever organize and form a "union" like that? I don't think they're up to it.

BTW, what interest is it of yours to claim the Dollar dead?

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Happy to see it. It seems to me that more economic integration equals less desire for war and conflict (it's bad business to kill your customers and trading partners).

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: SoundTheSurrender
The Amero will be out soon.

why the hell wouldn't a US-Canada common currency be called the dollar?

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
Originally posted by: Czar

I don't think Saudi Arabia will ever let the switch to the Euro happen.

And as for a common "Gulf" currency. Do you think those countries could ever organize and form a "union" like that? I don't think they're up to it.

BTW, what interest is it of yours to claim the Dollar dead?

Iran will sooner or later switch to trade in the Euro, along with Iraq which used to trade in the Euro but when the occupation started they went back to dollars, which cost them about 30% of their usual income.

I think Dubai is forming a global oil exchange where all currencies are valid.

The Gulf currency has been coming for years now and with the current economic crisis its starting to look even better for them.
http://www.gulfnews.com/BUSINESS/Economy/10271599.html

and for that btw question of yours, why on earth would you ask?
I have no interest in it, just looking the trend everywhere where the economic crysis has hit hard.

Here are my predictions.

The USD is down and will probably continue to go down on average, it will go up when Obama takes over but that will only be for a short time. The US global influence is going down and that is what is pulling the USD down the most in the long run.

The UK pound is in the exact same situation but probably worse since its smaller and that the option for Euro is right next to them.

The Euro will probably go down somewhat because of the crisis but will get stronger with time when more and more countries join up. It will gain alot because the rising economies are in what we could call second world countries, Asia and Eastern Europe. The inclusion of those Eastern european countries will in the long run strengthen the euro.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: loki8481
you'll pry my franks from my cold dead hands!

The Amero will be out soon.

unified currency made far more sense in Europe than it ever would in North America.

When I saw that, I thought hot dogs. I didn't know that you actually meant francs :p

But you can still buy francs! Swiss francs. Switzerland isn't on the euro. A lot of cities in France and Germany near the border will accept Swiss francs, too.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
I'm still waiting for the kooks to explain to us when the U.S. dollar is going to go into hyperinflation due solely to increases in money supply. I'm sure we'll be waiting another 3 decades for it not to happen.

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
What makes you guys think that the Euro will be strong, given that the Russians have them by the balls with the natural gas pipeline? I agree that USD will go down in value in the future, but I don't see the Euro being all that strong either.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Having a low valued dollar is actually a good thing right now for the US. Countries don't 'switch currencies' based on whichever one is valued the highest. The USD is NOT going away, which would be the only reason to switch.

Basically, with the Euro valued so high right now, Europe is suffering. Right now, the safest place for your money is US Dollars.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: freegeeks
linky

I remember all the sky is falling stuff from 10 years ago

- hyperinflation

the coins

I don't remember that stuff at all. I don't think anyone seriously believed any of that nonsense.

In other news, nobody cares.

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Originally posted by: dainthomas
Only two of those coins could I look at and identify the country immediately, Germany and Ireland (possibly Italy). That's how you should design coins, all those other ones with pictures of royalty etc suck.

Why do even the redesigned US bills and coins seem so much more boring than most other countries currency?

I have to agree. I look at this coin:

http://www.core77.com/blog/obj...ve_euro_coin_11711.asp

and then these new pound coins:

http://www.core77.com/blog/eve...coin_designs_10453.asp

and wonder how the U.S. can be so boring in their designs.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
Originally posted by: zephyrprime
Originally posted by: freegeeks
linky

I remember all the sky is falling stuff from 10 years ago

- hyperinflation

the coins

I don't remember that stuff at all. I don't think anyone seriously believed any of that nonsense.

In other news, nobody cares.

you obviously cared enough to post here

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: abaez
Originally posted by: dainthomas

I have to agree. I look at this coin:

http://www.core77.com/blog/obj...ve_euro_coin_11711.asp

and then these new pound coins:

http://www.core77.com/blog/eve...coin_designs_10453.asp

and wonder how the U.S. can be so boring in their designs.

because good money isn't based around how pretty the bills and coins are.