Eureka, got SMP client up and running!!!

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Ok, here's what I was doing wrong.

1) After installing the client, I tried running install.bat by just double-clicking it. After some reading, I found that you're supposed to run it as Administrator from a command prompt when using Vista or Win7. After dusting off the old DOS skills I got that done. Also worth noting is that typing cmd at the run command isn't the same as right clicking the command prompt shortcut and choosing "run as administrator" from the menu.

2) When it prompts for your username and pw, the account you're logged into at the time is automatically entered, so there is no need to change it. Just hit enter and then enter in the password for that account and you're golden.

I was at least smart enough to enable -smp in the shortcut from the get go. CPUs are pegged at 100% so I believe I have achieved much big success. The GPU2 client I'm running alongside only uses 1-2% CPU load when the SMP client isn't on, so I'm going to run them side by side and see what kind of throughput I get.

The first WU that came down the pipe was an A3 core 500000 step whopper of a WU. I'll just have to see how long that takes to fold. Fun stuff and thanks to all for their previous suggestions on how to maximize output. Here's to hoping I can bump up the ranks a bit further still. Find me under David_Boaz.

Later all!

Last edited:

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Dang! I guess that means you'll be racing even faster away from me up the charts ;)

Good job on getting it sorted, should see some demon output from your i7 :D

[edit] I think you ought to read this thread http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2068151 about -bigadv. (8+ core bonus)

Btw have you enabled -advmethods? (quick return bonus)

Last edited:

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Dang! I guess that means you'll be racing even faster away from me up the charts ;)

Good job on getting it sorted, should see some demon output from your i7 :D

[edit] I think you ought to read this thread http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2068151 about -bigadv. (8+ core bonus)

Btw have you enabled -advmethods? (quick return bonus)

-advmethods is a go on all my clients. I'll look into the -bigadv 8 core thing.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
-advmethods is a go on all my clients. I'll look into the -bigadv 8 core thing.

Well, the -bigadv thing is Linux only, so I think I'm going to stop where I'm at and call it good for the moment.

Time to see what kind of output 3x SMP and 2x GPU2 clients can do compared to my old setup (5x notfred's and 2x GPU2)! I actually like the SMP client better because if I need to update anything, I don't have to revamp 5 virtual clients or bring down all those virtual machines properly when I need to update Windows for security reasons.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Looks like you'll be banging out the points soon :D

That's the idea :)

I should have 10 WUs done by the end of today or early tomorrow at my current crunching rate. Keeping track really makes me appreciate how ridiculously fast my i7 is too. It's probably 3-3.5x the output of my laptop and at least 2x the speed of my HTPC, which is a freaking Q9400 at stock speed for crying out loud.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
That's the idea

I should have 10 WUs done by the end of today or early tomorrow at my current crunching rate. Keeping track really makes me appreciate how ridiculously fast my i7 is too. It's probably 3-3.5x the output of my laptop and at least 2x the speed of my HTPC, which is a freaking Q9400 at stock speed for crying out loud.
SMP really, really favours Nehalem. It's awesome. My Core i3 330M is putting out nearly as much as an E8400 can.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
That's the idea

SMP really, really favours Nehalem. It's awesome. My Core i3 330M is putting out nearly as much as an E8400 can.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Golgatha
Yea the i7s are awesome CPUs, especially for DC, they're insanely fast at DPAD as well as F@H :D

What clock speeds are those at?
Does the i3 have HT?

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Is the E8400 at its def of 3GHz?
Either way I see what you mean!,awesome! :D

(Btw a RL friend of mine who moved to NZ years ago, lives in St Heliers, Auckland. Anywhere nr you? Oh & he was a member here, The_One).

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
Is the E8400 at its def of 3GHz?
Either way I see what you mean!,awesome!
Yeah, it's awesome, isn't it? If I had a better GPU in my laptop I could honestly say that my $1500 laptop is better than my friend's $2000 computer, though we bought them at the same time...

(Btw a RL friend of mine who moved to NZ years ago, lives in St Heliers, Auckland. Anywhere nr you? Oh & he was a member here, The_One).
Yup yup, St. Heliers is about 20 minutes drive from where I live.

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Well, the -bigadv thing is Linux only
I run VMWare Player with Linux FAH Image on Win7. It uses all eight threads on one WU.

Yesterday after I finished a -bigadv WU I unluckily got a A3 WU (6041) at 1,395 base points. With the bonus I got 9,888 points, it took 16.5 hours, for 600 pph.

Normally on the -bigadv WUs I get 56,000 points and they take 56 hours, for 1,000 pph.
On my i7 920 D0 @3.99

I am guessing here, but you should do better running only one client - the WU will finish faster and the bonus will be MUCH bigger.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
Your guess is right. And it's only natural that -bigadv provides greater ppd than normal SMP; you're using more resources, so the greater points bonus is the incentive.