• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Ethics probe against Jackson resumed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
http://www.theroot.com/buzz/house-ethics-probe-jesse-jackson-jr-resumes
(never heard of "the root", but I used it because it was one of the first results google gave)

Why are they doing this? Shouldn't something like this be up to the States?

As much as I disagree with him on many issues, as much as I don't like him being so cozy with the President, and as limited as his economics knowledge is, I still don't think the House should probe him for this. It should be solely up to the state of Illinois IMO. Of course, if I were a state legislator in IL, I'd vote for a pretty harsh punishment for him because of his utter disrespect for states' rights which was anti-slavery. Then when the U.S. Supreme Court said my vote and legislation violated the 14th Amendment, I'd urge my colleagues in the IL legislature to nullify their decision. Then, if the Feds started to send Federal Troops and tanks to IL, the people of IL would probably take up arms and destroy the U.S. Military's expensive tanks with cheaper RPGs.

So while he shows complete disrespect for confederalism (and even federalism), I don't think we should use a strong central government (which he advocates for) against him (or anyone else for that matter).

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You know for a guy who spends so much time babbling about the Constitution you don't seem to know anything about it.

Of course the House should be investigating him if they want to. I will refer you to Article 1, Section 5, Clause 2:
Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings, punish its Members for disorderly Behavior, and, with the Concurrence of two thirds, expel a member.
They quite clearly have the power to punish or expel any of their members at any time, so if they think something has happened which might merit that, they can investigate to their heart's content.

Maybe if you actually understood what you were talking about you would have fewer questions.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
You know for a guy who spends so much time babbling about the Constitution you don't seem to know anything about it.

Of course the House should be investigating him if they want to. I will refer you to Article 1, Section 5, Clause 2:

They quite clearly have the power to punish or expel any of their members at any time, so if they think something has happened which might merit that, they can investigate to their heart's content.

Maybe if you actually understood what you were talking about you would have fewer questions.
Thank you:)
Well, it shouldn't be a federal crime. The House can censure him if they want to, but he shouldn't be jailed by the Federal government or anything. I wouldn't put it past them to put him on Federal trial though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY