Question Ethernet/LAN to USB ??

Nov 17, 2019
I have several EHDs plugged into a USB hub that was plugged into a USB port on a PC/laptop. I'm rearranging things and there may not be a PC/laptop convenient to where the hub and EHDs are, or will be. I'd rather not have a PC/laptop running anyways just to serve this hub. I would like to plug the hub in to something to adapt it to LAN without a PC/laptop.

I see a variety of LAN <> USB hubs, but I''m not clear on how they work. If they only go PC >> USB >> Hub >> LAN, it won't do what I want. If they'll go LAN >> HUB >> USB >> EHDs and allow me to see the EHDs over the network, that would be great. Sort of like an NAS type arrangement.

Not looking for a normal NAS type device due to funds. The drives I have are not NAS compatible either.

Nov 17, 2019
^^^ It's a TelCo supplied/branded version of an ActionTec T3260. It has a USB port, but I'm not sure what it's capable of or if it's restricted. I guess I could try it.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
ActionTec T3260. It has a USB port,
Chances are the ISP disabled the port and only use it for programming the device.

I would look for a cheap NAS on ebay and put the drives into it. NAS's fit both 3.5 & 2.5 formats and some higher end use M2 drives. Or look for a DAS which is an enclosure for multiple drives w/o a Network connection and simply plugs into a USB port somewhere.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
The performance of router USB storage usually is extremely bad and support only FAT32 formatted drive.

Probably the cheapest premade NAS you can get
you will need an new empty HDD as system & storage drive since the system will format the drive and then attached your existing external USB HDDs.
or consolidate all files on multiple external HDDs and try to get an empty one, then remove its enclosure and use that one as system drive.

==
or a Raspberry Pi 3/4 based NAS, use MicroSD as boot drive and attached external USB HDDs you have.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, if you can't afford going to a real NAS, look at the DIY route with a Raspberry Pi or even a used/refurb small-form-factor PC. The PC will most definitely be more expensive (probably $100-200), but it will most likely have better performance. That said the Raspberry Pi is pretty good at this kind of work now and there are plenty of good tutorials on youtube like this one: