Ethernet keep disconnecting/reconnecting

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TTM77, Aug 16, 2005.

1. TTM77

TTM77 Golden Member

my computer is on and it keep pop up that baloon saying the network is disconnected. And it does this a couple million times a day.

Here's the indication I see.. just sitting and not touching anything.. just sit still without moving my legs or anything (the pc is under the desk and my leg might touch the wire).

The baloon disconnect would come on saying network is disconnected, then within 1 sometime 2 second it reconnect. Sometime it does this really quick. This just start recently and I can't figure out what it is that causing this. It might be my network card is going bad.

When I disconnect the cable manually, then reconnect it would waits awhile and seem to do some scan then it reconnect.

What are my options?

Thanks.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Ethernet disconnecting reconnecting Forum Date
    Network Setup Questions Networking Sep 15, 2017
    Trying to figure out how to use prewired ethernet in a condo. Networking Aug 8, 2017
    Is there any way to quickly connect and disconnect from a network drive? Networking Jun 23, 2017
    How do I know if I have an Ethernet jack or a phone jack? Networking Jun 10, 2017
    How do I get my PC to detect the Aircard and not an Ethernet cable? Networking May 17, 2017

3. spidey07

spidey07 No Lifer

replace the cable with a known good one (like store bought).

Heck there have been store bought cables that were bad.

Make sure nothing is crimping or sitting on top of the cable (like a desk)

If after all that then the problem is with the NIC/switch.

4. TTM77

TTM77 Golden Member

done, didn't help. :(

5. TTM77

TTM77 Golden Member

will run out to get a new nic card during lunch. This is work pc. nobody else getting this but me. There must be at least 5 PC connecting to this network. Just me getting it.

6. Aves

Aves Lifer

If you can, try temporarily swapping ports on the hub/switch. Plug into a known good port.

7. spidey07

spidey07 No Lifer

Well if your sure the cable is good - store bought, has worked without problems on other links.

Then I'd start looking at driver or try another switch port. Sometimes, rarely, a switch port can go bad. More than likely its cable/nic.

8. TTM77

TTM77 Golden Member

Ok.. replaced the nic card.. seem to work ok now. :(

the old one seem to be Cnet brand. This new one is D-Link.