Ethernet Cables

bigstrickler

Jul 28, 2006
Hey guys I'm pretty computer savy but not so much with networking. What is the difference between CAT5 and CAT6? Can you use either one for your router? I have a belkin wireless pre-N router. Need one more network cable so I dunno if there is a diff between CAT5 and CAT6.

Also for some reason I experience tremendous lag when 2 people connect and play online games like battlefield 2 and counter strike. It works fine when 1 person is playing but not when both are, anyone know how to fix this? Thanks

Ernie99

May 4, 2006
CAT6 has a higher bandwidth rating than CAT5. In terms of the phyiscal wire, CAT6 wires are thicker gauge and have more twists per unit length.

Oh, and yes they can be used interchangeably in your situation.

jlazzaro

Golden Member
May 6, 2004
cat6 is certified for gigabit speeds...cat5e is more than capable but doesnt have the official stamp. i dont see any need to run cat6 in a home environment.

bigstrickler

Jul 28, 2006
ok thanks guys...and does anyone know why I can play games online using just one computer but when my friend comes over and we play together online, both of our computers lag so bad and experience network problems in game.

Kremlar

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
cat6 is certified for gigabit speeds...cat5e is more than capable but doesnt have the official stamp. i dont see any need to run cat6 in a home environment.

Not true. Cat5e is certified for gigabit.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: bigstrickler
ok thanks guys...and does anyone know why I can play games online using just one computer but when my friend comes over and we play together online, both of our computers lag so bad and experience network problems in game.

You are sharing the bandwidth available to that server. It will be noticable no matter what you do.

jlazzaro

Golden Member
May 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Kremlar

Not true. Cat5e is certified for gigabit.

opps, i meant Cat5, not the enhanced version :)

Podolak

May 23, 2002
With the equipment you are talking about Cat5e will work fine. Though when I recabled my house I just ran CAT6. Your choice really.

bigstrickler

Jul 28, 2006
Yeah I just ordered a Cat6 cable online, can you guys actually tell the difference? and also does anyone know why my router wont support two people gaming at the same time but will support one fine...(Belkin Wireless Pre-N Router)

Podolak

May 23, 2002
Yeah I just ordered a Cat6 cable online, can you guys actually tell the difference?

Presently, no. My Linksys GIG-E switch performs the same with either CAT6 or CAT5e when connected to 10/100/1000 NICs. When I have more advanced hardware I'll let you know.

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
The main difference, from a practical prespective, is that Cat6 is much more demanding of a proper termination.

Screwed up or sloppy termination gets you performance somewhere in the neighborhood of rusty barbed wire.

Good Luck

Scott

ktwebb

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 1999
and also does anyone know why my router wont support two people gaming at the same time but will support one fine...(Belkin Wireless Pre-N Router)

Basically already answered.

"You are sharing the bandwidth "

You have one half duplex connection out to the internet. Via dsl or cable I would expect. Your sharing the pipe. Only your packets, or your friends packets can go out or come in at one time. For downloads this would show itself as a 3Mb connection looking like 1.5 per node if you were both downloading something. For gaming it manifests as latency and lag.

Bradtechonline

Jul 20, 2006
I bought some Cat 6 Belkin, and it seems to be a thicker kind of cable vs 5e. It has an insulator in it. I prefer making 5e cables vs 6 but neither are to rough.

bigstrickler

Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: ktwebb
and also does anyone know why my router wont support two people gaming at the same time but will support one fine...(Belkin Wireless Pre-N Router)

Basically already answered.

"You are sharing the bandwidth "

You have one half duplex connection out to the internet. Via dsl or cable I would expect. Your sharing the pipe. Only your packets, or your friends packets can go out or come in at one time. For downloads this would show itself as a 3Mb connection looking like 1.5 per node if you were both downloading something. For gaming it manifests as latency and lag.

But its not my net, its got to be the router since my old router allowed me and him to game together all the time...i think i need to open up more ports or something but i dunno how

bigstrickler

Jul 28, 2006
Ok so I switched out my belkin wireless pre-N router for my old standard Linksys router and me and my friend game perfectly so its obviously the router. also, I was wondering can you hook up 2 routers together? like my old linksys and my new belkin?

Talcite

Apr 18, 2006
disable DHCP on one of them and use it as an access point. Preferably the belkin since it's giving you problems

bigstrickler

Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Talcite
disable DHCP on one of them and use it as an access point. Preferably the belkin since it's giving you problems

Ok cool, I might try that this weekend. What exactly is an "access point"? also if I use the Linksys as my main router, then can i just use the belkin for wireless