ETA on nvidia 300 series?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
Honestly I can't wait to dump my 5870 for something that functions.

One of these two:

1. You received a defective card. Every company ships a small percentage of defective cards. Perfection does not exist. RMA it, get a replacement, or get something else. Shit happens, get over it.

2. Your card is fine, but for some reason you can't set it up to work right. It's pretty damn hard to buy a modern video card today and have difficulty getting it to work right if you know what you're doing. In this case, you don't know how to use a computer. This isn't AMD's fault. Get a Dell or pay someone to set it up for you.

As for the various threads people have with problems: People assume too much. If a game crashes, they immediately blame the graphics card in the thread title or post without any troubleshooting. Not to mention that there's probably a 100 to 1 or greater ratio of people who have no problems compared to people who do. If one person has a 5870 and plays X game with a problem, but another person has a 5870 and plays X game without problem, then it is instantly proven that the 5870 is not the problem. You can only blame the graphics card or driver on a problem if 100% of people with them experience the same problem.

Factory overclocked cards are notorious for having a shorter life cycle or being less stable or more prone to overheating. Video card manufacturers do not necessarily test their overclocked boards to the same standards that an enthusiast such as you or I would test. Their ambient temperatures may be different as well. EVGA released a 7900GT overclocked version that had a higher failure rate than the first generation Xbox 360 just as an example.

You're seriously mistaken if you think a Geforce will be flawless if you can't get a Radeon to work.

Last edited:

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
I guess this is one of those lag times in Graphics where 40nm isn't quite ready for prime time. Its obvious that both ATI and Nvidia are struggling with the 40nm process so I guess we will all have to wait until March 2010. There aren't too many PC Games taxing my systems right now anyway so Spring isn't too much of a problem for me. I've just gotten into Oblivion so that should last me the next few months easy :)

Stay current Problem for ATI on 40nm is solved . Can't kick the fab around for NV problems.

Remember Nv problem with the Lead in the low end caused by heat the bumps . NV blamed that on everyone but themseves . After they finnally admitted to a problem .

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Take your personal transactions over to FS/FT or to PM; you're derailing the OP's thread

TIA

Fern
Super Moderator

I would suggest that the problem is more widespread than you think. I still have the ability to get a refund from newegg but in researching the other cards i find that the feedback is similar for all the 5870's as well as the 5970s.

Also there are more of these sorts of threads popping up every day.
So the first card I got was terrible. It crashed constantly until it finally died within the first week (and it always got the pinstripes). Now I'm on my second card which runs fine as long as I keep the memory clocked 50mhz below the advertised clocks.
So what do I do? Do another RMA and not only have to wait two weeks with the hope that I don't get yet another bad card? Do I get a refund and hope another brand name is better even when the reviews read the same? Heck all the cards are probably nearly identical beneath the cooling at this early a point anyway. No...my best choice3 is to hang onto the card until there is another trustworthy & powerful DX11 card available.

THIS is why I say I can't wait to get rid of it (yet cannot). Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I will pay you what you paid for that card . I want that card.Better yet show us a pic with your tag that you use here written on a piece of paper so we can see it . Do ya understand what I am saying here . Or should I spell it out. Lets get you out from between that rock and the hard place

Last edited by a moderator:

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Take your personal transactions over to FS/FT or to PM; you're derailing the OP's thread.

TIA

Fern
Super Moderator

I will pay you what you paid for that card . I want that card.Better yet show us a pic with your tag that you use here written on a piece of paper so we can see it . Do ya understand what I am saying here . Or should I spell it out. Lets get you out from between that rock and the hard place

Deal. Here's the card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-456-_-Product

Pay me that price and it's yours. Then I'll buy another and hope it functions properly.

Now put your money where your mouth is.
P.S. See my sig.
icon10.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

lifeblood

Oct 17, 2001
I would suggest that the problem is more widespread than you think. I still have the ability to get a refund from newegg but in researching the other cards i find that the feedback is similar for all the 5870's as well as the 5970s.

Assuming ATI is correct and it is a card component deteriorating too rapidly, then you should sit on your current card until revised card versions are released. Once the problem is fixed you should get a replacement.

I'm not sure who would be to blame for that problem (again, assuming it's a bad comonent). The component manufacturer certainly for producing a component that fails to quickly. ATI? They probably used it in the reference design. The card manufacturers as well? I don't know.

I'm not all that surprised at this. The 5XXX series are sweet, but they do use a lot of power and run hot. I know their supposed to be able to take it but that's still a lot of heat for extended periods of time. If we keep this up video cards will start coming stock with water coolers.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Assuming ATI is correct and it is a card component deteriorating too rapidly, then you should sit on your current card until revised card versions are released. Once the problem is fixed you should get a replacement.

I'm not sure who would be to blame for that problem (again, assuming it's a bad comonent). The component manufacturer certainly for producing a component that fails to quickly. ATI? They probably used it in the reference design. The card manufacturers as well? I don't know.

I'm not all that surprised at this. The 5XXX series are sweet, but they do use a lot of power and run hot. I know their supposed to be able to take it but that's still a lot of heat for extended periods of time. If we keep this up video cards will start coming stock with water coolers.

Well I'll be hanging onto it regardless not only because it's a powerhouse and chews through games and benchmarks but because it supports DX11 and all the goodness therein which by the way is why I dumped my GTX295 HC.
So... presuming it doesn't die on me I'll stick to overclocking the core, leave the memory reduced to 1250 and pretend I'm content until a more stable DX11 card hits the streets.

Last edited:

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005

Also there are more of these sorts of threads popping up every day.
So the first card I got was terrible. It crashed constantly until it finally died within the first week (and it always got the pinstripes). Now I'm on my second card which runs fine as long as I keep the memory clocked 50mhz below the advertised clocks.
So what do I do? Do another RMA and not only have to wait two weeks with the hope that I don't get yet another bad card? Do I get a refund and hope another brand name is better even when the reviews read the same? Heck all the cards are probably nearly identical beneath the cooling at this early a point anyway. No...my best choice3 is to hang onto the card until there is another trustworthy & powerful DX11 card available.

THIS is why I say I can't wait to get rid of it (yet cannot).
Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Interesting enough, just about everyone in that thread admitted to overclocking either the cpu or gpu, but that the problems went away after dropping the overclock. Maybe I missed the something there.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
By the time Nvidia releases Fermi, it will be competing against AMD's 5xxx refresh parts. Good for AMD, bad for Nv, and probably not too good for the consumer in the long haul either.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Interesting enough, just about everyone in that thread admitted to overclocking either the cpu or gpu, but that the problems went away after dropping the overclock. Maybe I missed the something there.
There's a thread about the problem on a number of the major tech forums, and that's what I get too. I can mimic the same kinds of crashing if I raise my GPU core too high or my system BCLK. It just sounds like a simple case of people not doing their homework when overclocking new hardware.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004

There's a thread about the problem on a number of the major tech forums, and that's what I get too. I can mimic the same kinds of crashing if I raise my GPU core too high or my system BCLK. It just sounds like a simple case of people not doing their homework when overclocking new hardware.

You've almost got it. The whole crux of the problem is that many people, such as myself, are not overclocking.
The only possible conclusion is that the memory is not up to spec.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
You've almost got it. The whole crux of the problem is that many people, such as myself, are not overclocking.

Eh, I guess that thread just wasnt a good example of what you were intending to prove.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Comply with the pic with your name next to that card . That was part of that same post.

Do that and I will set it up with someone here that I can trust . I also want your receipt.

Don't waste my time just do what you say. You think you're so hot then buy my defective card smarty.
Sell it to your friend and see how happy they are with you.
Good grief how dense can a person get?!
icon3.gif
icon10.gif

yacoub

Golden Member
May 24, 2005
All this drama trying to get the things to run right with ATI cards is what drove me to NVidia four years ago after 3-4 years of ATI cards. Never had a stability problem since I went NVidia 7900GT and then 8800GT. Three different system builds, everything's worked great.

Also, these new cards run so much hotter, no wonder they die young or have stability issues. Bah. If I get a 5800 series I'll be slapping an aftermarket cooler on it right away so it actually lasts three years like my 8800GT has. And hopefully the drivers will be stable like NVidia's have been for me.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Don't waste my time just do what you say. You think you're so hot then buy my defective card smarty.
Sell it to your friend and see how happy they are with you.
Good grief how dense can a person get?!
icon3.gif
icon10.gif

I said I would pay what you paid . Part of that post was a PIC of the card with your tag written on a piece of paper and post it . You do have a cameria on that PC correct USE it . Show that pic on this day . I really don't believe you have that card . Post the pic and show receipt and you are out from under that rock and hard place Stop dancing what I am asking is easily done

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
I said I would pay what you paid . Part of that post was a PIC of the card with your tag written on a piece of paper and post it . You do have a cameria on that PC correct USE it . Show that pic on this day . I really don't believe you have that card . Post the pic and show receipt and you are out from under that rock and hard place Stop dancing what I am asking is easily done

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ords%29&Page=1

My review is the three eggs review. HeXploiT.
A second review is on its way.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ords%29&Page=1

My review is the three eggs review. HeXploiT.
A second review is on its way.

What does that prove? Just that anyone can submit a review of any product at Newegg.....no need to own it, use it, or anything else other than time on your hands.

And Nemesis is only asking for what the selling standards at XS are, as you well know since you're a member there, too.

Personally, the XS selling standards (pic of item with tag of name/handle and date) could do well to be implemented here, too.

scooterlibby

Feb 28, 2009
What does that prove? Just that anyone can submit a review of any product at Newegg.....no need to own it, use it, or anything else other than time on your hands.

Yeah but you can't get the blue "purchased from Newegg" validation (which his review has) unless you actually purchase from Newegg. Sure, it could be someone else or he could have never actually used the card, but do you really think someone would take the time to order the card, not use it, and have someone else write the review in his screen name? Seems a little too much of a convoluted conspiracy to be a real conspiracy.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007

actually, the only possible conclusion is that factory overclocked cards suck. In the past 3 years I've had a 1950xt, 3870, 4850, and gtx 260. only the gtx 260 has a factory oc on it. only the gtx 260 has had trouble running at its rated specs. when I downclock it to base factory settins I have no problems at all. most of the time I don't have problems at the stock overclocked settings, but sometimes I do. It happens on different games at different times. Cards that tax the card more don't seem to cause more problems (crysis is always perfect for example). I looked at getting a 5850 when they first came out, but the 260 knew what was coming and started working consistently well again for a few months. by the time it started acting up again the 5850 was too hard to find and/or too expensive, so I decided to suffer in silence. Since then the gtx 260 has been perfect running at the factory overclocked settings. Am I frustrated? maybe a little bit, but I know that these things happen some times so I'm ok with it. The 260 is fast enough for me to play every game on max possible quality settings at 1680x1050, and now that it's behaving I have no reason to upgrade. I'll sit out this round and see what gt400/hd6000 brings. The only change that I'll make is in the future I'll just buy stock factory cards and endeavor mightily to leave them at stock settings.