Estrada Withdraws as Bush Judicial Nominee-Source

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: SuperTool
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

Still a sad day for the Judicial Branch of America's Gov't.:(
CkG

Yes, I don't know what we'll do without Estrada ;) I mean how will we go on with life :D

Sad day because a more than qualified person dropped out because of a certain few who wanted to play partisan games.

CkG

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
wahhh wahhh waaaahhhh.... boo hoooooo

you guys hate having to take your own medicine, don't you?

i can't believe the amount of hypocracy that has plagued this nation since that little illegitimate weasal dictator forced himself onto our country

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

CkG

Yes, I don't know what we'll do without Estrada ;) I mean how will we go on with life :D

Sad day because a more than qualified person dropped out because of a certain few who wanted to play partisan games.

CkG

Certain few who represent a majority of this country's population in the senate.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

CkG

CkG

Certain few who represent a majority of this country's population in the senate.

rolleye.gif

The house is for direct population representation. The Senate is for regional representation- so densly populated places don't only legislate for themselves;) You know...checks and balances.

CkG

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: phillyTIM
wahhh wahhh waaaahhhh.... boo hoooooo

you guys hate having to take your own medicine, don't you?

i can't believe the amount of hypocracy that has plagued this nation since that little illegitimate weasal dictator forced himself onto our country

It's been here longer than that.

CkG

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

CkG

CkG

rolleye.gif

The house is for direct population representation. The Senate is for regional representation- so densly populated places don't only legislate for themselves;) You know...checks and balances.

CkG

They represent the popluations of their states as a whole. And Estrada just got checked and balanced. What's the problem?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Checks and balance are ok, but balance and checks are not. It's easy when you see.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Well, the Dems are gonna' check a few more of Bush's balances.

Next in line:

Alabama Attorney General William Pryor, Texas Supreme Court Justice Priscilla Owen and California jurist Carolyn Kuhl.

Thanks to the Dems we'll have a chance at a "fair and balanced" ( :D Gee can I say that? ) judiciary!

More from Reuters on Estrada and the rest of the Bush right wing radical ideologue nominees!

Estrada Asks Bush to Withdraw His Nomination

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx
...except the military voters whose votes were in the mail system; let's not count those, okay?

There were many, many disenfranchised folks in the Florida 2000 election. Polls closing early, police road blocks, folks illegally dropped from the rolls, folks who registered not appearing on the rolls, registrars not answering the phones, moving of polls with out notification, denial of correction to ballots or new ballots.... 15000 folks estimated and all in places where vast democratic majorities exist. Also the confusion of the ballot and folks double voting or voting for the wrong person... not to mention the chad issue.

Go down to the '2000 election' and read to your hearts content...

Florida and all the court action, brief etc. for the 2000 election issue... read the facts and opinions of the court.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

CkG

CkG

rolleye.gif

CkG

They represent the popluations of their states as a whole. And Estrada just got checked and balanced. What's the problem?

The problem is that there was 50% which is all that is supposed to be needed for Judicial nominees. But that wasn't good enough for the Democrats - they had to play the fillibuster game which takes a 60% vote to break.

Next.

CkG

Edit for percentage error.;)

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

CkG

CkG

rolleye.gif

CkG

The problem is that there was 50% which is all that is supposed to be needed for Judicial nominees. But that wasn't good enough for the Democrats - they had to play the fillibuster game which takes a 67% vote to break.

Next.

CkG

That's not a problem, that's senate rules. These are lifetime appointments, so measure twice cut once.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

CkG

CkG

rolleye.gif

CkG

The problem is that there was 50% which is all that is supposed to be needed for Judicial nominees. But that wasn't good enough for the Democrats - they had to play the fillibuster game which takes a 67% vote to break.

Next.

CkG

That's not a problem, that's senate rules. These are lifetime appointments, so measure twice cut once.

The only reason he was blocked was because he is a conservative. I guess the litmus test from the Dems has now become "does he have a backbone?" IF so - then he gets blocked/filibustered.

Oh, and if it is measure 2X and cut 1X then why didn't they fillibuster the Budget they are all now whining about - isn't it going to "damage" and "burden" our grandchildren? ;)

CkG

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Budgets can be worked on.

Judicial appointments are for a lifetime.

Dems won this time giving the Repubs a taste of their own medicine.

Bush and Republican judicial nominees are unbalancing the courts. Now Bush knows if he appoints people who are too far to the right they'll be defeated. Good. Return some balance and fairness to our courts.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: BOBDN

Bush and Republican judicial nominees are unbalancing the courts. Now Bush knows if he appoints people who are too far to the right they'll be defeated. Good. Return some balance and fairness to our courts.

Oh, so the Budget isn't going to permenantly destroy the US - I see.

"Good. Return some balance and fairness to our courts." - that is exactly why we need people like Estrada as Judges. The balance is heavily left in many cases - it needs to be balanced out by people of moral charactor and that have a backbone. Maybe Bush would appoint a Liberal judge if he could find one that meets those requirements;)

CkG

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002

"Good. Return some balance and fairness to our courts." - that is exactly why we need people like Estrada as Judges. The balance is heavily left in many cases - it needs to be balanced out by people of moral charactor and that have a backbone. Maybe Bush would appoint a Liberal judge if he could find one that meets those requirements;)

CkG

Oh, the Bush budget fiasco can, if left unchecked, destroy the country. Look at the effect of Bush's economic "plan" now. But once Bush is out of the picture in 2004 (or earlier if the country wakes up and demands his hide) the budget can be fixed.

There is no way to fix a lifetime appointment until that lifetime is over.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

CkG

Oh, the Bush budget fiasco can, if left unchecked, destroy the country. Look at the effect of Bush's economic "plan" now. But once Bush is out of the picture in 2004 (or earlier if the country wakes up and demands his hide) the budget can be fixed.

well, maybe you could enlist Pat Robertson......:Q:p

CkG

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002

well, maybe you could enlist Pat Robertson......:Q:p

CkG[/quote]

Hehe. Roberston and his ilk only pray for the death of people they don't agree with. Real Christians.