Estate Law Question

Stiganator

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2001
I have some questions regarding Estate Law.

Can anyone explain what a personal representative is and what a trustee is? As well as what there authority over an estate (trust fund).

My problem is the personal representative is a good honest person, but the trustee has been very shady. The trustee/executer is a half sister. So far she's taken thousands in items from the house. I'm afraid to say anything since she may have a say in how I use the trust fund.

Everything was left to me and the other siblings were explicitly excluded in the will (they are all very wealthy from a previous divorce settlement with their mother), unless I was to die.

How much time do I have to contest things if it requires that?

I really need to know if the personal representative can dismiss trustees and if they can appoint an additional personal representative in the event of their death.

I did talk to a lawyer, but he couldn't answer these questions. I was quite mad when he couldn't after reviewing the situation for a week.

Jun 27, 2005
Find another lawyer ASAP.

Or find the lawyer who set up the trust.
How come your first lawyer couldn't answer your questions?

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Find another lawyer ASAP.

Or find the lawyer who set up the trust.
How come your first lawyer couldn't answer your questions?

maybe hes making the mistake of being too cheap to ask?

its worth the money for an hour of time if theres a serious legal situation that needs to be handled to get some advice, whether its to the present lawyer or a new one.

compile concise notes ahead of time so you can breeze through what you need to say and not waste 2.95/minute on "eh, lemme think, well she kinda did this..." because time will *fly* by