Mar 11, 2004
What is going on with ESPN lately?

I just looked at the screen and find two women sitting in lounge chairs not talking about sports (think typical talk show). It then cut to video of paparazzi following who I guess is David Beckham.

Then of course, there's their stupid made up Who's Now tournament where 4 guys sit and debate like they're on the View or something.

And let's not forget the Espy's.

I understand they're trying to branch out to a wider audience (*cough* ESPN Deportes *cough*), but why are they aiming at Tabloid/Celebrity gossip shows?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
between the all star game and the opening of NFL training camps there isn't much for them to cover.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix
between the all star game and the opening of NFL training camps there isn't much for them to cover.

No championship arm wrestling, poker, pool, bowling, lawn darts, bocci ball, bodybuilding, beach volleyball to keep them occupied? :laugh:

Mr Incognito

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2007

Exactly, the summer is a tough time for all networks.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Linflas

No championship arm wrestling, poker, pool, bowling, lawn darts, bocci ball, bodybuilding, beach volleyball to keep them occupied? :laugh:

They covered the National Rock Paper Scissor Championship last weekend. (seriously)
And I've seen Scrabble competitions on there too. On ESPN. Scrabble. *sigh*

HopJokey

Platinum Member
May 6, 2005
Are we forgetting what ESPN originally stands for? Entertainment and Sports Network.

paulxcook

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
They should replay old World's Strongest Man competitions. Those are always awesome to watch.

Mar 11, 2004
I understand the slow summer, but there's a noticable change to their overall presentation where it seems like they're trying to become E! and all the shows that just tell celebrity gossip crap. Take the NBA Finals where they spent more time talking about Eva Longoria than they did about the games. They're taking the same path MTV did, which personally I don't see as being a good thing.

I guess they're just keeping up with the rest of the media.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Beckham is being covered on US sports channels? I wouldn't have thought anyone would give a sh1t. I couldn't name an American football player and I certainly wouldn't care if one came to play in England.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Atheus
Beckham is being covered on US sports channels? I wouldn't have thought anyone would give a sh1t. I couldn't name an American football player and I certainly wouldn't care if one came to play in England.

lots of people know who he is, he just signed one of the largest contracts in sports history, and there is nothing else on, so of course they're covering him. they don't normally cover soccer, though.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Atheus

lots of people know who he is, he just signed one of the largest contracts in sports history, and there is nothing else on, so of course they're covering him. they don't normally cover soccer, though.

/edit - I'm starting a thread on this