Errors playing Bad company 2 with my new GTX 570?

Lazarus52980

Sep 14, 2010
Last night I attempted to play Battlefield: Bad Company 2 with my new GTX 570 and I kept running into graphics errors. It simply did not seem to know how to render the objects, and I kept getting black squares over objects, and wrong colors for other areas of the screen (Purple sky, neon green trees, things like that). I went to NVidia and updated the drivers for the 570, but that made no difference. If I kept playing in spite of the display issues, I would eventually get a white screen, and windows would "recover" from a graphic drivers error...

Any thoughts? Do I have a bad 570? It played fine for a the first week I had the card, but now this...

Since I am sure people will ask, my system specs are as follows:

EVGA Factory overclocked GTX 570
i7 920, stock clock
P6T motherboard
6 Gig of patriot ram with heat spreaders
120 gig OCZ Vertex SSD

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Seems like a bad card. What is your PSU btw?

Can always try to use a driver cleaner or do a fresh windows install to make sure isn't software related.

Lazarus52980

Sep 14, 2010
I don't remember exactally my P/S, I know this a thermaltake black widow, I think it was 850w.

Yeah, I might have to try a clean install of windows... Just a pain to do that...

Wait, a driver cleaner? I have never used somthing like that before.. any recomendations on a particular one to use?

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
Last night I attempted to play Battlefield: Bad Company 2 with my new GTX 570 and I kept running into graphics errors. It simply did not seem to know how to render the objects, and I kept getting black squares over objects, and wrong colors for other areas of the screen (Purple sky, neon green trees, things like that). I went to NVidia and updated the drivers for the 570, but that made no difference. If I kept playing in spite of the display issues, I would eventually get a white screen, and windows would "recover" from a graphic drivers error...

Any thoughts? Do I have a bad 570? It played fine for a the first week I had the card, but now this...

FYI, I occassionally get random black screens during the game. Only lasts for 1-2 secs or so (but the map HUD remains on screen and sounds/game continue), and only when I happen to be standing near large rocks or other select objects. It appears without warning and doesn't appear to be a heat issue either.

I'm using the same GTX 260 I've had for 2 years but the black screen thing only appeared when I changed my system over to Windows 7-64 bit from Vista-32 previously. There are plenty of threads on this random black screen thing on the web and I'm thinking it's a Win 7 problem.

Lazarus52980

Sep 14, 2010
Thats....depressing. I had thought it was because of the card only because my friend was playing the same game on my secondary system which also runs win7, but was using a PNY GTX 260 that was playing it just fine...

Rats.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Your card is defective.

If it initially was playing fine and is now artifacting, the card is no good. RMA it and get a replacement.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
FYI, I occassionally get random black screens during the game. Only lasts for 1-2 secs or so (but the map HUD remains on screen and sounds/game continue), and only when I happen to be standing near large rocks or other select objects. It appears without warning and doesn't appear to be a heat issue either.

I'm using the same GTX 260 I've had for 2 years but the black screen thing only appeared when I changed my system over to Windows 7-64 bit from Vista-32 previously. There are plenty of threads on this random black screen thing on the web and I'm thinking it's a Win 7 problem.

I never have this issue on win7 64bit, but I'm on ATI which has its own issues :$

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
Thats....depressing. I had thought it was because of the card only because my friend was playing the same game on my secondary system which also runs win7, but was using a PNY GTX 260 that was playing it just fine...

Rats.

You are having a different problem from me. I do not have any artifacting. I get a complete black screen that only lasts for a couple secs, until I turn in game or move around. But gameplay continues unaffected...game doesn't crash or disconnect.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
I don't remember exactally my P/S, I know this a thermaltake black widow, I think it was 850w.

Yeah, I might have to try a clean install of windows... Just a pain to do that...

Wait, a driver cleaner? I have never used somthing like that before.. any recomendations on a particular one to use?

Sorry for not answering immediately.

A driver cleaner like this one http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/ should be ok.

That, and fresh windows install would just be as a conscience reliever (dunno if this is the appropriate expression) - since your PSU seems fine, I share the other posters belief that you have a bad card. It isn't uncommon for a new piece of hardware to work fine for a week or 2 (even a month) and then stop working.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
The only time I've had errors like that was when I overclocked my GPU core a little bit too high on my GTX 460. OP, are your case temperatures perhaps a little too high?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
OP. you say the card is factory overclocked, have you tried using an overclocking tool to put the clocks back down to reference? Sometimes the factory overclocked cards, cannot handle the overclock that they come with.

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
You guys are scaring me from exercising my EVGA Step-up-program to get the GTX 570... everything is working fine and dandy now with my GTX 470

Petey!

May 28, 2010
You guys are scaring me from exercising my EVGA Step-up-program to get the GTX 570... everything is working fine and dandy now with my GTX 470

If you can step up, do it. As long as it's not a whole ton more cash.

Lazarus52980

Sep 14, 2010
Ok, an interesting update to this. I did a little searching about this issue and I am thinking it might be related to Bad company 2. Some people mentioned that if you alter an ini file to force the game to run in DX9, that it might fix the issue. It does fix the issue for me... Based on that I downloaded the heaven benchmark program and ran that for about 30 min at max settings (x16 anisotropy, x8 AA and extreme tessellation) and it ran just fine at about 30 FPS. Could the issue be with BC2, or is it possible that the card simply doesn't work for that one game? Any other benchmarks I could try?

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Hell, steam has sales on cheapass 2 and 3 dollar games. Buy one and install that if you don't have any other games you can run and test the card on. Or get some demos.

Avalon88

Sep 29, 2010
OP, did you by any chance have problems getting your 570 installed? Was the backing plate on a funny angle and didn't quite line up when screwing it down to the chassis?

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Ok, an interesting update to this. I did a little searching about this issue and I am thinking it might be related to Bad company 2. Some people mentioned that if you alter an ini file to force the game to run in DX9, that it might fix the issue. It does fix the issue for me... Based on that I downloaded the heaven benchmark program and ran that for about 30 min at max settings (x16 anisotropy, x8 AA and extreme tessellation) and it ran just fine at about 30 FPS. Could the issue be with BC2, or is it possible that the card simply doesn't work for that one game? Any other benchmarks I could try?

If it is only one game that is causing the problem and you can torture it in other intensive benchmarks I would definitely say that the problem lies with nVidia drivers or BC2, not the card.

Actually, come to think of it, Lost Coast had this exact problem and many users reported it. If you did an Alt-Tab or something when you came back, everything would be psychodelic. Pretty much that happened to me on both my 8800GTS 512MB and also my GTX 280. But I think it was with an older driver set.

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002

I play with a lot of people and this seems to be the case for a lot of us. AMD, nVidia, and Intel mix and match doesn't matter. It seems like they're doing some z-clear technique that gets out of wack. I've found zooming into your sights often fixes it. Although rarely I've had it last for more than a few seconds.

IMO it's a game bug.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Strange, i just bought BFBC2 last week when steam had it on sale and have logged over 20 hours into the single player campaign now. I started playing it right after installing my second 460 and have had no issues with blackouts or glitches or delays of any kind. Was running Vista 64bit till 2 days ago then installed windows 7 64bit, no issues with either OS.

Now im scared to update drivers though if this is a driver issue.

Lazarus52980

Sep 14, 2010
OP, did you by any chance have problems getting your 570 installed? Was the backing plate on a funny angle and didn't quite line up when screwing it down to the chassis?

No, my card fit fine (I remember reading your post about the odd angle on your card when you bought it. I almost didn't go EVGA for that reason).

Well, at least the game is PLAYABLE on DX9. Its still depressing though...

Also, someone mentioned trying another game. Is there any particular one I should try? CIV V runs fine, but I know that is not at all a "shader" game, so I am not sure it would have the same issues. DO I need to buy Metro 2033, or Mafia II to test this properly?

cusideabelincoln

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2008
Strange, i just bought BFBC2 last week when steam had it on sale and have logged over 20 hours into the single player campaign now. I started playing it right after installing my second 460 and have had no issues with blackouts or glitches or delays of any kind. Was running Vista 64bit till 2 days ago then installed windows 7 64bit, no issues with either OS.

Now im scared to update drivers though if this is a driver issue.

If your current drivers are working fine I definitely would not change them.

Also, someone mentioned trying another game. Is there any particular one I should try? CIV V runs fine, but I know that is not at all a "shader" game, so I am not sure it would have the same issues. DO I need to buy Metro 2033, or Mafia II to test this properly?

There are demos you can download and run. Like Crysis. And tons of others. But like already stated this is probably something wrong with BC2 and/or drivers. These things happen. Someone commented on the psychedelic colors on Lost Coast and I can definitely say I experienced that too.

It could be possible BC2 simply doesn't like the overclock on that video card. You should try putting the card at stock clocks and see if BC2 still has the same problem.

Lazarus52980

Sep 14, 2010
I have done some overclocking with my CPU, but never my GPU. Any advice on the best way to do that? (Bring it down to stock speeds that is)