Error installing Visual Studio 2008 redistributable

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Trying to install AutoCAD which then fails because it fails to install this file.

I tried to install the file directly to see what error I get and this is what I get:

I tried to google the error and it says I need to disable windows update, I tried that, no go. There's also another solution that says to install a tool, but then it just gives me the run around and never actually gives me a link to download it, sends me to this page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/products/windows. The link is here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...red-during-the-installation-of-assembly-micro

Anyone know what else I can try?

Reactions: Pick2

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
i hope that's the classic UI and not actually windows XP lol

what ver of CAD is this?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah it's windows 7 SP1 which fits requirements. It's Autocad 2017 LT. I get the same error for Architecture. It's in a VM, if that matters. I hope it does not use graphics acceleration or Direct 3D or anything like that... then it won't work. Just thought of that now actually.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Wow this error is such a pain, it seems to be some kind of known issue, yet no solution seems to exist. Just sites trying to sell me programs to fix it, and microsoft giving me the run around instead of actually letting me download the tool that they say they have to fix it. Wish they would just tell me what registry keys I need to delete.

I don't remember stuff being this hard to install back in the win2k/xp days, it seems Linux is getting easier, and Windows is getting harder lol. There's so many different .net frameworks and crap now it's ridiculous. For fun I tried to install a different .net framework but it did not work, I guess it really wants that specific one.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I have no idea what I did to fix it, but I fixed it. Managed to install it.

Achieving the ballmer peak was the solution.

Seriously though I think it had to do with a service that was disabled. Just went through the services and enabled (did not start) anything that was disabled. It was a shot in the dark, and it turned out to work.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
The autodesk site mentioned version conflicts, caused by the OS having a newer version than the program is installing, in which case the recommended uninstalling all C++ updates through Programs and Features and let the installer put them back on. Why in the word they can't auto-detect this and skip this part of the install, I have no idea (I do, but it wouldn't be helpful info). Maybe it will be a new feature of the 2018 version, lol! Anyway, glad you got it figured out!