ERROR: "Display driver stopped responding..."

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by JackSpadesSI, Jun 27, 2012.

1. JackSpadesSI

JackSpadesSI Senior member

I just built a new computer. After installing and updating Windows 7 Home Premium the screen will randomly go black for a split second and return with the error message:

"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver Intel Graphics Accelerator Drivers for Windows 7(R) stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

After several of these occurrences the computer will simply crash, requiring a hard reboot. Relevant parts:

CPU = Intel i5-3570k
    Motherboard = GA-H77-DS3H

There is no graphics card installed, as the system was built to run on the integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics. The newest Intel HD 4000 driver was installed as part of the Windows update process - it did not fix the error.

Suggestions are GREATLY appreciated. Also, let me know if you need more info than I've provided.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - ERROR Display driver Forum Date
    Dell latitude e5420 not booting, HD tests ok General Hardware Mar 19, 2017
    8800 GT give nv4 display driver infinite loop error General Hardware Feb 24, 2008
    Nvidia display error : Incorrect Driver General Hardware Aug 18, 2005
    display driver error...wtf?!? General Hardware May 30, 2005
    burnt dvd shows as 1.99gb in explorer, *resolved* win98 display error. General Hardware Aug 8, 2004

3. HeianJodan

HeianJodan Member

There is a similar issue with nvidia graphics cards going on for a while now. It will happen a lot when browsing the internet on Firefox. Look up nvidia drivers stop working on Google and you will see a lot of related information.

4. WT

WT Diamond Member

5. JackSpadesSI

I'm not sure that the two problems are in any way related (dedicated Nvidia GPU failure vs. integrated graphics with up-to-date driver).

#4 JackSpadesSI, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  6. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

Try edit the TDR value in the link above on page 2. And possible uninstall anything that interferes with the GFX driver. Sensoring SW etc.

And try see if Intels downloadcenter got a newer driver. And make sure the BIOS on your board is updated. It contains the GFX ROM.

#6 ShintaiDK, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  7. mfenn

mfenn Elite Member <br> Currently on <BR> Moderator Sabb
    Super Moderator

Newest driver from Windows Update != Newest driver

I second Shintai's recommendation of getting the latest driver package straight from Intel.

8. JackSpadesSI

I recently tried that (you're right that Intel had a newer version than Windows Update did) but it didn't help.

9. Infraction Jack

Infraction Jack Senior member

This happens to me sometimes with my 7750 if I have too much stuff going on at once. An example would be playing LoL, having a video paused in VLC, firefox and 20 tabs open. I think it might be some problem with windows 7 since this seems to happen with many different video cards and driver sets.

10. JackSpadesSI

Well, it isn't a case of having too much running for me. This is a computer with ONLY Windows 7 on it.

11. mfenn

Super Moderator

That sucks. :( Here are a couple of long shots:
    - Use memtest to see if you have bad memory
    - Check to make sure the CPU is properly seated in the socket with no bent pins

12. jobz

jobz Member

Oh gawd, I have the same f*cking annoying problem!

In my case, Win7 64-bit ran great on Asrock H67-GE (hd 2000) for nearly a year. Then same black screen problem started to appear 2 or 3 months ago. At first, it appeared so intermittently and problem would go away after a while, I simply ignored it. But now in recent weeks, screen goes black and then reappears after each cold boot. This happens several times in first hour, then problem goes away!

Tried drivers from asrock, intel and windows update. Reattached cables. Swapped dvi to vga cable. All to no avail.

Pls help. Sorry to hijack your thread, Jack.

13. mfenn

Super Moderator

See post #11 for suggestions.

14. JackSpadesSI

So I fixed the problem... in a way... by throwing money at it.

I bought and installed a ATI Radeon HD 6450 1GB GPU. It works great, as I assume it bypasses all issues involving the Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics.

Oh well, at least the computer runs fine now!

15. mfenn

Super Moderator

Well, the good news is that you now have a working computer. The bad news is that it took the application of money to fix it. :( Unless this is some sort of really weird driver bug, I'm betting that you have a borderline flaky mobo or CPU (probably mobo).

16. GrumpyMan

GrumpyMan Diamond Member

Did you have Lucid Virtu installed?

17. jobz

jobz Member

Good for you.

I reinstalled oem driver that came with the mb, and black screen still appears but less frequently than before, and mostly goes away after an hour or so. I don't play games so I really don't want to install a graphics card if I don't have to.

18. Mr.D.

Mr.D. Junior Member

This is for sure a driver issue with the HD4000. See this thread at Intel.

The only solution is the throw good money after bad and buy a video card. I wish I could say that we could wait for Intel to fix the bug, but they clearly don't give a damn as this thread is months old and is related to their premier ivybridge chipset.

19. Jader88

Jader88 Member

I fixed the (Display driver stopped responding) by replacing a bad Ram module I had. The problem was not caused by the video card on my system.

20. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

:thumbsup: