Error 0x80072EE2 in windows updates

Elyoflik

Jul 8, 2004
I just installed XP last night on this computer and have been trying to get windows update to work but everytime it gives me that error message when I try and find available updates. I looked it up in the knowledge base but the article didn't help any. It mentioned about my firewall so I looked at my router settings some (Netgear 802.11g wireless router), but wasn't really sure what to do. So, worried about my computer security I downloaded SP2 and installed the. Windows update still doesn't work, and (although not related to the main topic) my frequently used programs list is bland and nothing loads onto it. Please help.

Elyoflik

Jul 8, 2004
Ok, I've narrowed down the problem. It is the router but I don't know how to set it up properly. I checked netgear's site and it didn't tell me anything. Any help? I'll post this in the networking forum too...but just as a follow up.

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Elyoflik
Ok, I've narrowed down the problem. It is the router but I don't know how to set it up properly. I checked netgear's site and it didn't tell me anything. Any help? I'll post this in the networking forum too...but just as a follow up.

I'm sure you've already seen this from MS. Curious as to why you think your Netgear router is involved (seems unlikely)

Bill

newParadigm

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2003
I know you think the problem is in your router but hear me out.

I had avery similar problem about a year ago.

The culprit eneded up deing my system clock and date.

I had flashed my BIOS and the daate had been reset to Jan. 1 2000, thus it completley confused Windows Update. (This would also make sense why your recently used programs don't show up, from your comps perspective you used them in the future.)

Just tryiung to help out,

newParadime